It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Gangnam Style’ Singer PSY’s Vitriolic Anti-American Past Revealed, Outrage Ensues

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I'm detecting a distinct "How dare he say anything bad about America" coming from this thread - regardless of whatever reasons you say you are discussing this.

Yup,

America can do no wrong and how dare anyone speak against it?

Exactly why America is deteriorating into a Police State. Because no one can believe it can actually happen to their Golden Utopia.

Here's something the US should be aware of...We're all watching and waiting.

So sad.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Millions of people who hate America take advantage of it's market. Oil exports from the middle east, to name one example.

I don't fault anyone for successfully selling a product to people they don't really like.

And, that isn't necessarily what's happening here. He was probably riled up back when he made those statements. Opinions can change a lot during a few years.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by Kryties

So let me get this straight. He has a right to feel a certain way but I dont?
And no I didn't declare him my enemy he declared us the enemy so you can take your point turn it sideways and boff it right up.

take your America hate elsewhere.

Thankyou for completely and utterly proving my point.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

First, he's popular because of a video.

Now, he's under fire because of his anti-American sentiment.

He only speaks the truth. See a pattern here?

Peace

He may be big in Asia, but he was destined to be a little "one hit wonder" in the USA from the get go.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

This really isn't an issue of, "How dare he hate America," it's more an issue of, "How dare he pretend to like America."

I have a better one.....who #ing cares?

Funny how it's only the Americans getting all huffy about this - and it completely proves my point that this is nothing more than a "How DARE he say bad things about America" thread.

Hypocrisy at it's absolute finest.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ShotGunRum

I am a musical elitist, I don't deny it. Top 40's is to actual music as Souljaboi's intelligence is to Stephen Hawking's. How is this justified? Simple, music, as an aesthetic, is an expression of the human soul. Pop music lacks this expression; it's bland, shallow, and meaningless. Nothing about it intellectually profound or challenging. The deeper I've gone down the rabbit hole with music, the more I find the popular music I used to enjoy unbearable.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Kill those ****ing Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those ****ing Yankees who ordered them to torture

You gotta admit, it's not like he's making up propaganda or anything - they have been using torture.

I like it when musicians speak truth openly, although his emotional reaction would be best kept to himself - lest he sound as bad as they are.

edit on 8-12-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I'm trying to show you why people care, lol. It's one thing if he hates America, and I couldn't care less, let alone blame him, if he does or not, but another for him to hate America yet put on a red white and blue facade and pretend to like it. Personally, I don't like the Military Industrial Complex, and I'm an American, so don't think that I'm coming from a hyper nationalistic perspective here. In this case, it feels like American's have been taken advantage of, I don't know what about this is so hard to grasp. It would hold true to any other nationality as well. Just as there is nothing wrong with his right to dislike Americans, there is nothing wrong with Americans disliking him.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I guess he didn't have plans to make it in the USA anytime soon back then
his worlds were too extreme and americans should rightfully dislike him
on the other hand, two korean school girls were killed by US military (possibly raped too)
let me remind you that the US is not in war with South Korea, they are allies
what kind of response did you expect?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

OK, so don't buy his stuff. No need to make a thread and make a whopping big deal about the fact that some musician decided to speak his mind.

In the end, it is inconsequential and so minute that it is not really worthy of anyone's attention - let alone a whole thread about it.

Unless, of course, it keeps coming back to "How dare he say anything bad about America". Then the thread begins to make sense.....

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Relax man, lol, I made the thread to share the information because I found it interesting. I posted it in the Music forum, not a news forum. I like debating ethics and morality, and this fits the bill. You seem to think I have a pro-American agenda, and you are of course entitled to your opinion, but that's pretty far from the truth. I absolutely understand why he said what he said, and had I been in his shoes I can't say I would have thought, and perhaps acted, differently. Regardless, this doesn't change the ethical question at play here, which is primarily whether a person who despises a country should mask his hatred for the sake of fame and wealth.

I think that compromising one's values is shameful, and as such I feel like he has betrayed not only his fans, but himself.
edit on 8-12-2012 by DestroyDestroyDestroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

The man spoke his mind about a country that upholds the right to speak ones mind - and he is being trashed for it.

That's pretty much how I, and most others who are not American, see it. This thread and it's comments only serve to prove this point.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

As soon as you confused Hatebreed with some sort of crap that sings about hate (I love how you have no idea) I stopped.

Also, repost.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I would not say Psy deliberately fooled the American fans
his music video got popular on youtube and people in the USA
wanted to see him perform, and so he did
he even said that he was not expecting to become popular in America
so I don't really see the morality issue you are talking about
unless you expect anyone who performs in the USA to be a USA lover

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Who cares?

For a country that upholds "Freedom of Speech" as an inherent right, isn't it rather hypocritical to stomp on someone elses right to have their own opinion? Or is it that anything Anti-American doesn't apply to the "Freedom of Speech" law?

Unbelievable.

Hmm..

Here I was thinking what a hypocrite this tosser was, one year singing about wanting innocent people murdered slowly and then saying how great those same people are when it sends money his way, when it was really the yanks, once more, unable to differentiate between freedom of speech and censorship of opinionated sentiment.

Silly me.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Well that shows a lot about your personality.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

So you're complaining that somebody is pretending to like Americans just to get their money when you live in a country that practically invented that technique?

If you really want to go there then I suppose he would never have said what he said then retracted it had he not learnt it from the best.

Or better yet, had those American soldiers not raped and killed those Korean girls and gotten away with it he would never have said what he said in the first place? I mean HOW DARE HE say anything bad about America in those circumstances right?

I could go on all night with this mate.....

edit on 8/12/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

I searched and nothing turned up, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it. Hatebreed's lyrical content is often dashingly similar to the English translation of PSY's rant, hence the comparison.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Im australian...

You're talking twaddle Kryties.. Your anti-US hate is obvious...

sigh

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I searched and nothing turned up, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it. Hatebreed's lyrical content is often dashingly similar to the English translation of PSY's rant, hence the comparison.

Hatebreed sing angry songs, yes.. But no hate.

It's not about Emo-Hardcore. It's about getting on with it, pulling your finger out and saying No more will you be stepped on. But you didn't have to know anything, just the name.

I had someone tell me Venom was a glam metal band once.. So I understand..

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join