It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boss providing food

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Maybe I'm over-thinking this, I dunno?

I work in a factory that has gone over a year and a half without any injuries. To show his appreciation, the boss is going to bring a grill to work and cook everyone a steak. Of course, with a half hour lunch we'll have to scoff it down and get back to work.

I know he's just trying to be a nice guy, but if he really wanted to show his appreciation I'd much rather have the value of that steak dinner in my check. Even a gift card for a grocery store would be fine. I would prefer to buy my own food and eat it at home while watching a movie or something.

What you prefer? A free meal at work, or the $$ in your pocket?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It is only one time.

Enjoy it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It is a nice gesture, but not well thought out, on his part. What if some don't eat meat, or dietary limitations prevent them from doing so. I agree with you, a gift card to spend as one wishes, would have been a better idea.

Hope he gives everyone enough time to at least enjoy the free lunch.

Des

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
You wouldn't even notice it in your paycheck. Indeed, you'd expect just as much the next time. At least you could get some face time with the boss (and everyone else). You don't even have to eat a steak, just the trimmings. In a lot of work places you never even see the boss, or he won't speak to you. So consider it a social gesture and thanks for not messing up and hurting someone. It's not about the money.

And, o, puhlease, let's not get all sanctmonius over dietary preferences. If you are a vegan eat the friggin' mashed potatoes and save your proselytizing for somewhere else.
edit on 12/6/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

What you prefer? A free meal at work, or the $$ in your pocket?

What you prefer? Free meal at work, or nothing? No offense but appreciate what you are given, some people would kill for that steak. At least he was kind enough to provide that, I wish my boss did something like that. my boss SUCKS!

ETA: I'm giving you a star for an honest rant.
edit on 6-12-2012 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Lol... Christ... cant please everyone, i guess.

I dont think he's entitled to do anything for you. So, I would take it and appreciate it.

Whenever my work does a potluck/holiday feast type deal, I couldn't be happier. At LEAST it will save you having to buy lunch...

Any reason to complain, I suppose.
edit on 6-12-2012 by SPACEYstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
You are being rewarded for not hurting yourself and you want to complain?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I'm not a vegan Schuyler...I didn't warrant your rant....OP asked for our opinion, I gave mine.

Des

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Eat with your fellow workers. Like a family. They didn't harm you all year.

Brings you closer.
Wish I had a boss and a steak. Well at least a steak and people to eat with.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm not working right now, but when my husband's boss invites us over to eat a meal he's cooking I can't get in the car fast enough- and it's a two hour drive to his house! You couldn't beat me away from that man's homemade manicotti! Oh, and the stuffed sweet peppers are to die for!

Guess you know what I pick!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Oh no, it might mean u have to actually talk to your co workers.

How selfish of your boss to want everyone to get together and celebrate that no ones arm has been ripped off.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It would be very easy for the boss to just throw an extra 10 in your check, but I don't think it's about money. He's taking the time and effort to shop, lug a grill into work, and cook for you and your coworkers.

I think he wants you to appreciate his gesture of thankfulness by physicality showing his appreciation, not the cost of the steak.
edit on 6-12-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Wow. Is this really a 'rant'?
Ungrateful much?

lol 'first world problems'!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
He's doing a nice thing, cooking it himself and working as a leader should IMO.

Enjoy it. I'll bet he will.

Peace

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Be happy your boss is nice enough to at least think to do this. My boss drives me mad and is incredibly abusive to me everyday, but I am a temporary worker and have to just try and ignore it best I can as I can be sacked at any moment, Me and my co workers are called every name under the sun and treated like morons for no reason. BE greatful that he at least cares a bit and treats you like a human being. I can't wait till this contracts up and I can give him a piece of my mind, until then though I'm a piece of you know what!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
My boss does this a couple times a year, in a conspiracy with the bosses next door. Usually they just do what seems like fairly cheap catering (good food though), but a couple of times they've grilled. I was like, I didn't know millionaires knew how to barbeque LOL...

I usually miss out due to the nature of my job. Infact they did it a couple weeks ago and I showed up around 10 pm, and food was still out but I didn't touch it due to concerns about food safety.

But, really, at what point do you complain? The value is probably less than $5 per person.

We also get free coffee. Another one of our offices gives free pop and snacks to us, wish my location did...the others sell it to us via vending machines lol.

I just don't see the problem here.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The value of the steak dinner wasn't added to your paycheck because your company wouldn't have been able to claim the tax deduction. But food bought for the employees IS a deduction for the company. It's classified as a simple "expense".

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by schuyler

I'm not a vegan Schuyler...I didn't warrant your rant....OP asked for our opinion, I gave mine.

Des

Who cares what you are? My point still stands. I don't care if you're vegan, vegetarian, wheat or lactose intolerant, or just don't like steak. or none of the above. It doesn't matter. Ragging on this guy for daring to provide steaks is rather missing the point.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
The value of the steak dinner wasn't added to your paycheck because your company wouldn't have been able to claim the tax deduction. But food bought for the employees IS a deduction for the company. It's classified as a simple "expense".

Have you ever run a business? Wages are just as much of an expense and just as "deductibe" as food. There's absolutely no difference, dollar wise, to the bottom line.

This actually benefits the employee, who need not pay income taxes nor fica taxes on the steak. If he took his steak in wages 30% of it would be gone in a heartbeat.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'd go with over thinking it.

I'd quite often put on lunches, dinners, pizza nights for my guys if they reached certain targets.

I'd also come up with gift cards, movie tickets, etc for those that went above and beyond, especially to do with safety. The idea of adding to someone's wages as a reward is a logistical nightmare as far as wages go, everything from additional taxes/threshholds/government payments, etc are affected. Putting on some food or giving a gift is a simple way to say thankyou without putting money into someone's pocket. It is also surprisingly good for morale, because sometimes a thankyou means a hell of a lot more than just a paycheck.

I always used to get my 2IC's and specialty staff a gift from my bonus money each year. One guy scored a $300 bottle of Johnnie Walker one year as a thankyou for his efforts, completely tax free...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join