It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boss providing food

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
The value of the steak dinner wasn't added to your paycheck because your company wouldn't have been able to claim the tax deduction. But food bought for the employees IS a deduction for the company. It's classified as a simple "expense".

Have you ever run a business? Wages are just as much of an expense and just as "deductibe" as food. There's absolutely no difference, dollar wise, to the bottom line.

This actually benefits the employee, who need not pay income taxes nor fica taxes on the steak. If he took his steak in wages 30% of it would be gone in a heartbeat.

I haven't run a business, but I've filed the taxes for many organizations! You'd be shocked at their "expenses". Even the K-cups are expensed. Assuming folks aren't as experienced and bright as yourself is silly, silly, silly.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

It's not about the money.

You just hit the nail on the head. It IS about the money. I don't go to work for my health, or to make friends and influence people. I work for money. The factory is not my home, and we are not one big family.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

This actually benefits the employee, who need not pay income taxes nor fica taxes on the steak. If he took his steak in wages 30% of it would be gone in a heartbeat.

This business started with the grandfather in the 1950's. Now, I've been told that every three or four months he'd hand out money (cash) to the employees. I don't see a problem with this. Again, my life (MY LIFE) is at home or wherever *** I *** choose to be. I am not in a factory for friends and fun. I'm there to make money - period.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

You just hit the nail on the head. It IS about the money. I don't go to work for my health, or to make friends and influence people. I work for money. The factory is not my home, and we are not one big family.

You are one ungrateful human being. I read this thread last night and due to hormones I didn't reply because it wouldn't have been very T&C worthy.

Maybe your boss doesn't have the extra money like you think to give YOU extra money like you think you deserve. You do realize Christmas bonuses are not required nor is your boss doing something out of the kindness of his heart required. You sound like one bitter unhappy employee. You do know there are MANY people out there without work who would greatly appreciate a job and this gesture from their boss. Just because someone is in charge of a company or runs it doesn't mean they have all this extra money floating around to just hand to UNGRATEFUL people like you. I bet if your boss DID give you extra money you'd be the type to complain it wasn't enough and go on a rant about the amount.

This is what is wrong with this country, self entitled attitudes! I deserve this or I should get that. Why don't you just be happy you have a job and a boss who seems like a pretty decent guy.

I bet your boss would be greatly disappointed if he saw your rant about his nice kind gesture. I would love to have some of his steak on a grill. As someone who cooks for people it's a sign of caring when someone wants to cook for you!!! Cooking is a way to show thanks or love to another. To me cooking for friends or family is my way of saying thanks or showing I care because I DONT have the money to buy them things. I will be giving out food baskets with goodies made by me and not ONE person will complain I can assure you that and why? Because they know I can't afford gifts and they aren't selfish people!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

You are one ungrateful human being. I read this thread last night and due to hormones I didn't reply because it wouldn't have been very T&C worthy.

Maybe your boss doesn't have the extra money like you think to give YOU extra money like you think you deserve. You do realize Christmas bonuses are not required nor is your boss doing something out of the kindness of his heart required. You sound like one bitter unhappy employee. You do know there are MANY people out there without work who would greatly appreciate a job and this gesture from their boss. Just because someone is in charge of a company or runs it doesn't mean they have all this extra money floating around to just hand to UNGRATEFUL people like you. I bet if your boss DID give you extra money you'd be the type to complain it wasn't enough and go on a rant about the amount.

This is what is wrong with this country, self entitled attitudes! I deserve this or I should get that. Why don't you just be happy you have a job and a boss who seems like a pretty decent guy.

I bet your boss would be greatly disappointed if he saw your rant about his nice kind gesture. I would love to have some of his steak on a grill. As someone who cooks for people it's a sign of caring when someone wants to cook for you!!! Cooking is a way to show thanks or love to another. To me cooking for friends or family is my way of saying thanks or showing I care because I DONT have the money to buy them things. I will be giving out food baskets with goodies made by me and not ONE person will complain I can assure you that and why? Because they know I can't afford gifts and they aren't selfish people!

Where the hell do you get off calling me ungrateful??? You have NO idea how much money I make this man. And, I work for money - PERIOD!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by jiggerj

It is a nice gesture, but not well thought out, on his part. What if some don't eat meat, or dietary limitations prevent them from doing so. I agree with you, a gift card to spend as one wishes, would have been a better idea.

Hope he gives everyone enough time to at least enjoy the free lunch.

Des

You're right, it is a nice gesture, but would you go to a hospital to have your car washed? Or, how about going to the beach to sit in the shade? There are things that just don't go together. I don't go to work to eat dinner. If I owned my own business I would reward my employees with money, because that's the only reason they're working.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Totally understand where you are coming from. I would rather get a $25 bonus in my check than a grilled steak I have to scarf down in 30 minutes then get back to work.

On a positive note, it sounds like he wants to recognize you and your fellow employees and show a token of appreciation.

Eat the steak. ENJOY!

Congrats!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
This is what is wrong with this country, self entitled attitudes! I deserve this or I should get that.

JiggerJ deserves food on his plate, and he should get water.

When you live in a country that demands money at every turn to survive...

OF COURSE that's the attitude you need.

There is no surviving on a volunteer's paycheque.

I seriously can't understand your anger when you're probably guilty of the same things!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

What kind of steak was it? GMO fed livestock or the good kind of steak? I understand money has its priorities, especially with hard times such as these but if he give neither of both at that time, would you still be pissed?

edit on 7-12-2012 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
reply to post by jiggerj

What kind of steak was it? GMO fed livestock or the good kind of steak? I understand money has its priorities, especially with hard times such as these but if he give neither of both at that time, would you still be pissed?

LOL Who said I was pissed? All I said was I'd prefer money seeing as that's why I'm there. The boss is not my friend, or anyone else's friend for that matter. He has a multimillion dollar home, a new truck, a camaro, and a Mercede's Benz. He has these things because he's in business to make money, and I work there for the same reason.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

We haven't had the steak yet, but I'm working on more than one. I told the boss that a few of the employees are vegetarians, so they gave me their steak. BOY, are they gonna be pissed when all they get is a salad!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I told the boss that a few of the employees are vegetarians, so they gave me their steak. BOY, are they gonna be pissed when all they get is a salad!

I know what I quoted above is in jest however what I personally get out of your comment is this...

You don't want the meal but you will happily lie to your boss so that you can steal your coworkers portion.

What are you going to do with the extra steaks? Return them and say you lost the receipt?

I hope I'm not giving you any idea's.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

We haven't had the steak yet, but I'm working on more than one. I told the boss that a few of the employees are vegetarians, so they gave me their steak. BOY, are they gonna be pissed when all they get is a salad!

If it's organic steak then you can sell it for more than it's worth to the locals.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Why should an employer, reward it's employees for doing the basic job they were told to do, without killing themselves?

That's a bit confusing to me.

The reward is that nobody got hurt.

I use to own businesses, and I only gave my employees a raise or a monetary benefit during the holidays, and when they performed ABOVE the level that I rquired to keep my business afloat.

If I was 'proud' of them as your boss seems to be, for doing something good, like not having accidents, I would sponsor a company event. Something fun, like a BBQ or a company day off or something like that.

But straight up cash? Nopes.

ETA: Mind you I owned calling centers, and not actual factory businesses, so take that for what it's worth.
ETA#2: I would also provie an extended payed lunch

~Tenth
edit on 12/7/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by jiggerj

Why should an employer, reward it's employees for doing the basic job they were told to do, without killing themselves?

That's a bit confusing to me.

The reward is that nobody got hurt.

I use to own businesses, and I only gave my employees a raise or a monetary benefit during the holidays, and when they performed ABOVE the level that I rquired to keep my business afloat.

If I was 'proud' of them as your boss seems to be, for doing something good, like not having accidents, I would sponsor a company event. Something fun, like a BBQ or a company day off or something like that.

But straight up cash? Nopes.

ETA: Mind you I owned calling centers, and not actual factory businesses, so take that for what it's worth.
ETA#2: I would also provie an extended payed lunch

~Tenth

I don't know, maybe the boss has a hidden agenda. It's not like every employee was on high alert for accidents just to get a steak. There are more safety features in my factory that one would almost have to want to get hurt in order for anything to happen. So, maybe he's trying to butter us up to hit us with no raises again this year. Who knows?

But, when you say you'd do something fun to reward your workers, I have to ask: Who are you to them? Why would they want to have fun with you instead of their own families? See what I mean? If you would do anything for me, just give me the money so I can home and do it with my family.
edit on 12/7/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

My company events were always inclusive to the families of my workers. Whether that be an off site thing or an in house thing like a BBQ or something like that.

I treated every one of my employees like they were my friends and we were all quite close, mcuh like here on ATS we were a big old family.

Many times I provided extra vacation time or paid leave for issues that occured within my employees' families. I've bought medication for children who were sick, toys for Christmas and even whole furniture sets for a particular family whose house had burnt to the ground a few years ago.

It's all about the way you view yourself as an employer. Most don't want anything to do with those they hire because they think having a personal relationship causes some weird conflict of interest.

When I sold my businesses, they were sold to my employees as a coop, so they could then take what I had created, expand upon it, and become as successfull as I did.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Where the hell do you get off calling me ungrateful??? You have NO idea how much money I make this man. And, I work for money - PERIOD!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Where the hell do you get off complaining about a good gesture from someone who doesn't HAVE to do what they are doing. So yes that makes you ungrateful. Nobody said you had to have his food, go home if you want to pout.

Do me a favor. Go back to my first post and show me the complaint. Saying I would prefer money over meat is a preference - not a complaint. So, all of your little tantrum has been for nothing. Jeez!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

walmart does this. we almost never got the rewards though because they counted the cashiers wrist pain as accidents! But we did have an ice cream party one time

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
""Do me a favor. Go back to my first post and show me the complaint.""

The fact that you posted in the "RANT" section gives one the impression that you are complaining.
edit on 9-12-2012 by chrischris because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join