It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half Empty or Half Full or...?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
We once again face the age old question. Our perceptions shape all that is around us. Whether we be optimists or pessimists, the world falls into place according to our will.

We have grown in our philosophies, it is no longer black and white, right or wrong, empty or full. There are other options out there.

I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist, perhaps a pragmatist....

I don't ask "Is the glass half empty or is the glass half full?". No, that isn't enough for me. Instead of worrying about the contents of the glass, my question is "Who was drinking from it and why did they leave it sitting on the counter?"....

What say you?

Why do you say it?

How does it shape the world around you?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Well my 40 is half empty, but my stomach is half full.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
That emptiness provides us with the opportunity to fill it again. Maybe even with something else.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Im a glutton for emptiness.....

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I always said that if the glass was full and if you drank half, then it is half empty. If you take a glass and fill it half way it is half full. I know it had nothing to do with what a person's real answer should be, but it makes the smarty pants people go bananas. So it depends on whether you added to or took from the glass to get either answer. But let's say the glass magically appeared. I would say it's half empty because there is room for more. I am going to stop there before I go crazy overanalyzing it.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Well my 40 is half empty, but my stomach is half full.

ahhhhh conservation of mass!!

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
That emptiness provides us with the opportunity to fill it again. Maybe even with something else.

Hear, hear!! The quest for what we know not of and the determination to move forward!

Originally posted by sonnny1

Im a glutton for emptiness.....

Do you feel it affects the world around you?

Originally posted by 1MrMarc

I always said that if the glass was full and if you drank half, then it is half empty. If you take a glass and fill it half way it is half full. I know it had nothing to do with what a person's real answer should be, but it makes the smarty pants people go bananas. So it depends on whether you added to or took from the glass to get either answer. But let's say the glass magically appeared. I would say it's half empty because there is room for more. I am going to stop there before I go crazy overanalyzing it.

Very logical, scientific approach. Where we come from is an imporant consideration when looking at our journey thus far. It helps us to see what progress has been made/ not been made.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I say

Can I get you another one, or are your ready for the check??

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
I say

Can I get you another one, or are your ready for the check??

Concentration on the person as opposed to the situation. Very humanitarian

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I am also a realist. Being a realist has its moments where you'll look like an optimist, or a pessimist, or an idealist. Either way, it doesn't hurt to have an open mind to the fact that maybe you're wrong every once in a while about how you look at things. I learned that the hard way.

Back to the original question of whether the glass is half full or half empty; I say it is completely irrelevant when one is thirsty.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar

I am also a realist. Being a realist has its moments where you'll look like an optimist, or a pessimist, or an idealist. Either way, it doesn't hurt to have an open mind to the fact that maybe you're wrong every once in a while about how you look at things. I learned that the hard way.

Back to the original question of whether the glass is half full or half empty; I say it is completely irrelevant when one is thirsty.

Very telling explanation! I suppose realists are the most "versatile" of the lot. Refusing to be tied into one extreme or the other. It's also my personal favorite approach as it enables me to explore further than I would otherwise.

Admitting mistakes is often one of the most challenging things to every do, I applaud you for that!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Glass half empty of half full?

A few questions first please....(I'll get back to you with an answer after a few calculations)

Viscosity of the liquid?
Ambient temperature of the area around glass?
Elevation (above sea level?) please specify
Ambient humidity of the area around glass?
Beginning temperature of the liquid?
Beginning temperature of the glass?
Construction surrounding area of glass? (concrete, steel, adobe, etc)
Volume of glass?
Volume of liquid (when begin test)?

It will take me a few days to work this out so a quick response is appreciated.

edit on 21-11-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

My oh my...I've never seen anyone with such a large..........signature

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Damnit you just had to get to this thread first. That's pretty much the same response I give when asked the glass question. Much like the philosophy the glass perception represents, I've always felt it was determined by circumstance as opposed to a set world view.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Neither. The glass is twice as big as it needs to be. Get a smaller glass!

P

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Depends on the situation. If I'm trying to make it look like the half full/empy glass is a negative thing then it's half empty, or positive is half full. If someone sold me the glass of water I would say it's half empty, if I was selling it I would say it's half full.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Glass half empty of half full?

A few questions first please....(I'll get back to you with an answer after a few calculations)

Viscosity of the liquid?
Ambient temperature of the area around glass?
Elevation (above sea level?) please specify
Ambient humidity of the area around glass?
Beginning temperature of the liquid?
Beginning temperature of the glass?
Construction surrounding area of glass? (concrete, steel, adobe, etc)
Volume of glass?
Volume of liquid (when begin test)?

It will take me a few days to work this out so a quick response is appreciated.

edit on 21-11-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

Viscosity is 0.0010 Pa·s
Ambient temperature 20 C
AT sea level
ambient humidity 72%
beginning temp 20C
surrounded by concrete structure sitting on wooden table (pine)
Volume of glass =500 ml
volume of liquid = 250 ml

Be sure to give answers in both metric and standard English units for clarity and understanding. Please keep conversions within the significant range with plus/minus 2% accuracy

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Great answers they are!

reply to post by pheonix358

ahhh very pragmatic!

reply to post by SpearMint

Perspective is a very important consideration

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I always say, the glass is neither half full nor half empty...it just needs ice.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

ahhhh finding solutions to the issue and making it evaporate in the process

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Thanks for the quick reply Chiten....I'll get back with you in a few days on the answer.

Until then here is another perspective on this deep philosophical question

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join