It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA closes dedicated climate change unit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

CIA closes dedicated climate change unit

uk.news.yahoo.com

The CIA has shuttered its unit dedicated to studying the impact of climate change on national security, shifting its a"As part of a broader realignment of analytic resources, this work continues to be performed by a dedicated team in a new office that looks at economic and energy matters affecting America's national security," said CIA spokesman Todd Ebitz.ctivities elsewhere, an official said Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Panetta: Climate change a national security threat

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
On first glance this does'nt look too interesting, until I read who was running it up until recently.

A certain David Petraeus, now probably nothing, for me I thought the whole thing was a little strange, most;y because the news was reported here in the UK, but just thought it would be interesting to note, and perhaps share your thoughts.

So conspiracey ?
Was he ousted for his affair, or was there a more sinsiter reason for his retirement, perhaps relating to this ?

Or

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Damn, I really thought the CIA were the only ones who could solve the "global warming crisis".

I guess we're only left with Al Gore again to save the day....

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
No doubt it'll re-open another office headed by someone who can keep their weapon in their pants

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
A CIA meteorology team.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
A CIA meteorology team.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an asteroid cannonball in development

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You were relying on the CIA to curb industrial repercussions and promote green solutions? You really weren't looking for much, were you?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Well I guess we learn something new everyday, this is very interesting, I see now, how hard earned tax dollars are been use by my government.

I can only dream how many of such offices or something like it are supported all over within the defense department.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

A CIA meteorology team.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an asteroid cannonball in development

Has nothing to do with meterology:
Google "Rod of God". Much better
than steering rocks.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well I wonder where Alex Jones is going to get his inside information?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Here's another interesting take on this:

C.I.A. PUTS AN END TO ‘UNNECESSARY, WASTEFUL AND TOTALLY OUT OF PLACE’ CLIMATE CHANGE UNIT

((You gotta love it when "professional" news outlets use all CAPS in the title....
)

The CIA’s Center on Climate Change and National Security has been closed only three years after being established.

This unit was started in 2009 not to study the science behind climate change but to use intelligence to evaluate how various potential results of global warming could impact national security. The intent of the center was to provide policymakers with this side of information, which the center’s website states it has done for years. Here’s more about what the unit was expected to do:

The Center will assume responsibility for coordinating with Intelligence Community partners on the review and declassification of imagery and other data that could be of use to scientists in their own climate-related research. This effort draws on imagery and other information that is collected in any event, assisting the US scientific community without a large commitment of resources.

“Decision makers need information and analysis on the effects climate change can have on security. The CIA is well positioned to deliver that intelligence,” Director Leon Panetta, said at the time of he announcement.

There are several avenues of conjecture we could explore... but I propose the following:

1. The CIA warehouses immense amounts of satellite imagery that could contribute to climate research
  2. The name "Climate Change Unit" was politically expedient; advancing the perception that the CIA was performing some "public service"
  3. Since intelligence "sharing" is not one of the CIA's claims to fame; it was doomed to become a political "toy" for the appointed leaders
  4. The CIA had "weather modification" data that could be useful to... someone... that would "pay" for it.

The Unit remains, but under a different name.... with a different public name... sort of like a company changing it's name... but why?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

You mean like the gas stations here in my neck of the woods that pass from family member to family member after filing for backrupcy still stays in the family . . . but avoiding the taxes.

Sorry I could not stop myself from posting this.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

Sorry I Op'd and ran, have had 5 kids under my feet, but thankfully back to normal service now !

So am I to take it this department wasn't commonly known...By that I mean, unless you had searched for it, you may have missed its existence ?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

C.I.A. PUTS AN END TO ‘UNNECESSARY, WASTEFUL AND TOTALLY OUT OF PLACE’ CLIMATE CHANGE UNIT

My sentiments exactly. They are closing it down because the theory of "Global Warming caused by Corporations" is a scam. Warmth is caused by the sun. If it were a real threat they would not be closing it down.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Good points...For me the whole thing is just strange.

I live in the UK, and I can't think for the life of me, why this would be news over here.

What intrigued me further was the Petraeus reference, mainly because I hadn't ever heard of him until the scandal which led to his resignation, now it turns out, he was heading up this unit, had been for the best part of a year, but now....Poof!

His predecessor had been in the job for much longer timeframe (from its inception), but on the grand scale of things this amounts to less than a handful of years.

I wonder if perhaps this unit will be swallowed up into FEMA ?

Just a wild guess, but seeing as they oversee emergency planning (I think), it makes sense, that if the CIA found a significant threat to the continuation of the norm, there isn't really much further they could take it, other than to identify the scale, and pass it down the line to more of a contigency planning stage.

Wonder what the unit uncovered ?

edit on 21-11-2012 by solargeddon because: typos

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

A CIA meteorology team.

Well, they already have an aircraft animation team.

Check out TWA flight 800, the CIA was all over that investigation.

Soon they'll be into bus passes.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
If the CIA isn't responsible for climate change then who is it who is REALLY making all those chemtrails??

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

If the CIA isn't responsible for climate change then who is it who is REALLY making all those chemtrails??

I thought you already knew it was Evergreen...

and a pic of their spray nozzles

edit on 21-11-2012 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Yeah but that's part of the CIA, so who is going to run the teleporter now so that 1 tanker can be everywhere at once??

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm sure that is where they assigned their lousy officers, or those who they wanted to shut up, or those who were too honest to overthrow governments on behalf of Israel and the warmonger corporations.

top topics

join