It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They Cracked This 250 Year-Old Code, And Found a Secret Society Inside

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The master wears an amulet with a blue eye in the center. Before him, a candidate kneels in the candlelit room, surrounded by microscopes and surgical implements. The year is roughly 1746. The initiation has begun. The master places a piece of paper in front of the candidate and orders him to put on a pair of eyeglasses. “Read,” the master commands. The candidate squints, but it’s an impossible task. The page is blank.

It was actually an accident that brought to light the symbolic “sight-restoring” ritual. The decoding effort started as a sort of game between two friends that eventually engulfed a team of experts in disciplines ranging from machine translation to intellectual history. Its significance goes far beyond the contents of a single cipher. Hidden within coded manuscripts like these is a secret history of how esoteric, often radical notions of science, politics, and religion spread underground. At least that’s what experts believe. The only way to know for sure is to break the codes.

I think this is a fantastic read. It's a real life Dan Brown novel, and the way the deciphering is explained kind of blew my mind. I had also never heard of this secret society and am now very interested to do some more digging. Pretending to be ophthalmologists in public but actually a secret society! The article goes on to explain a bit more about secret societies in the 18th century, how they were a place where nobleman and business people were welcomed and strict adherence to Christianity was not required. As the article states, this was dangerous for the powers at the time.

Then there's this part of the translated text

After reading the Oculists’ cipher, Önnerfors suggested that it described one of the more extreme groups. Forget the implicit threats to the state or church. In part of the Copiale, there’s explicit talk about slaying the tyrannical “three-headed monster” who “deprive[s] man of his natural freedom.” There’s even a call for a “general revolt.” Remember, Önnerfors told the code-breakers, this book was written in the 1740s—30 years before the Declaration of Independence. “To someone at the time,” he added, “this would be like reading a manifesto from a terrorist organization.”

Link

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Good Read. S&F

Will go further but for now, this of course caught my eye...

“To someone at the time,” he added, “this would be like reading a manifesto from a terrorist organization.”

and...

a place where nobleman and business people were welcomed and strict adherence to Christianity was not required.

Put these two bits of info together and we have a rather civilized band of Anarchists with no religious fanatics.

Thanks for the find...

Peace

edit on 16-11-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
all i saw was "a blue eye"

the dijall in the quran.......when was this found? / decihpered?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I know it kind of blew my mind thinking about it that way. Towards the end of the article they also mention that there are actually a lot of these cyphers floating around, which I would not have guessed. It says that many are fake so researchers are hesitant to start, but imagine how much more we could learn if we deciphered the real ones. Hope you enjoy it, I got sucked in from the first paragraph.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

It was deciphered in 2011.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Finally, an actual, honest to goodness conspiracy without FEMA camps, Nibiru, or other made-up nonsense.

Huzzah! S+F.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

The popular alcoholic drink Jägermeister is produced in Wolfenbüttel, as well as the main headquarters for the company that produces it.

Also,

The Copiale cipher is a substitution cipher, but it is not a 1-for-1 cipher. A ciphertext character stands for the same plaintext characters, but several ciphertext characters may encode the same plaintext characters. For example, all the unaccented Roman characters encode a space. Seven ciphertext characters encode the single letter "e". In addition, some ciphertext characters stand for several characters or even a word. One ciphertext character ("†") encodes "sch", and another encodes the secret society's name

I'm having trouble finding much of anything on these guys... If anyone has any luck please post.
edit on 16-11-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Fascinating. I've always been interested in Secret Societies. Will be looking more into this. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Nice find, and fascinating but why do these interesting video's always come with annoying music Aaaaaaaarrrrgghh.

S+F

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
We should start a research team on this.

One person track down the Jaegermeister connection, another the cypher history, and someone else research the possible secret societal connections!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Found some info...

Copiales begins: 'The book of law of the oculist society secret part. Secret lessons for the apprentices. Ceremonies of initiation.' After the candidate's initial pledges of secrecy and fidelity to the society, the Master 'pass[es] to the brother the candidate in body and soul so that he sees if "one cannot help his weak face with an operation". He carries him thereafter to a secondary table where, next to a lot of candles, several instruments and spectacles, microscopic perspective, a cloth and a glass of water must be present. [The candidate] has to.... look upon an unwritten piece of paper for a while. If, after a while, he answers that he cannot see anything written on there, then the master of ceremonies puts [on] him a pair of spectacles and asks him again if he is not able to read the writing. Answer no.

'During this time the master of ceremonies comforts him as well as he can, raises his hopes for improvement, washes his eyes with a cloth and if nothing helps, he will announce that they have to proceed with the operation. Then all those present members reach for the candles, place themselves around the candidate, and the master of ceremonies; the Master plucks a hair from the eyebrow with a pair of small tweezers under constant urging, comfort and encouragement and concludes herewith the operation...' At length the candidate is led back to the secondary table where, instead of the blank piece of paper, 'the entire teaching for the apprentices is placed...' And the candidate is finally initiated into the society with instructions from the secretary as to how to behave as an apprentice.

Various other ocular signals are illustrated, mainly being choreographed signs of recognition between members at the beginning of rituals. For instance: 'Thirdly, one takes tobacco with the thumb and the middle finger of the left hand. Touch with the left hand your left eye.' Or, this method of indicating an apprentice: 'First, somebody touches with the right hand his right eye. With my right hand I brush over the right side of the neck...'

Furthermore:

There is some interesting information regarding the founding of a Masonic lodge in Frankfurt that could conceivably link it with Copiale. A paper, 'Masonic Passwords. Their Development and Use in the Early 18th Century' (ACF Jackson, Ars Quatuor Coronatorum, Vol 87 for the Year 1974, Pub Nov 1975, pp106-119) contains some intriguing passages. In the 1740s Frankfurt was of prime diplomatic importance, with constant traffic of high-ranking statesmen. One of these was Philipp Frederick Steinheil, a German diplomat who was founder and first Master of the Frankfurt Lodge of Union, which was officially consecrated in June 1742. But according to JG Findel, in General History of Freemasonry (1861) there had been some form of lodge there a full year earlier, which had close links to a French lodge at Lyons.

Steinheil, who had been initiated while en poste in London, was present in Grand Lodge in March 1741 at the election of the Earl of Morton as Grand Master, and gave one of the addresses. He was able to use his connections to gain post facto regularisation of his Frankfurt lodge. His 'sponsor' was one Bro Beaumont, oculist to the Prince of Wales. The Charter from the Grand Lodge of England, dated February 8, 1743, states that Beaumont having assured 'us that the Lodge had been constituted in due form under the name of Union, and as a daughter of the Union Lodge of London, we do hereby recognize it, etc and order that the members of either Lodge be equally considered members of the other.' So, however tentatively, we have a connection between a Philipp, an oculist and French Freemasonry (and hence the Scottish rites mentioned in Copiales).

www.opticianonline.net...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColAngus
Finally, an actual, honest to goodness conspiracy without FEMA camps, Nibiru, or other made-up nonsense.

Huzzah! S+F.

Hahaha. Oh my god I was thinking the exact same

As soon as I saw this it looks like there are alot of alchemical symbols in it. Looks like an excellent read! Thanks for giving me something good to read up on on a Saturday morning that doesn't have anything to do with reptilians or sex rings, thank goodness

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Translation follows:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Hello Domo1!

So far as could see there were no links to the original documents from the University of Uppsala. Maybe I overlooked it. If so - my apologies.

> stp.lingfil.uu.se...

Here you can download...

Book scan:

display-150dpi
black and white scans: part1, part2, part3, part4, part5
color-booklet.pdf (A4, 26MB)
download-150dpi.zip
download-400dpi.zip
images-150dpi
images-400dpi

watermarks: wm-image-150dpi, wm-image-400dpi
book cover: bc-image-150dpi, bc-image-400dpi
text in transcription: txt, docx, pdf
deciphered German text: txt, docx, pdf
English translation: txt, docx, pdf

Extra pages from the Oculist's archive in Wolfenbüttel (added February 2012):

Documents from the Masters of the Oculists:

transliteration: txt, docx, pdf

Extra file from the Oculists about their rituals and rules (not corrected):

transliteration: txt, docx, pdf

There even is a contact info... with links...
> Contact information
> If you have any comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us: Kevin Knight, Beáta Megyesi, Christiane Schaefer.

The handwritten codex is 105 pages long.
But the printed english translation is only 20 pages long and takes only a few seconds to download.

The reading of the original text in the whole may help the discussion in this thread.

I don't have much time now but will be back later.

Ansar

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Really interesting. Again, someone else that is glad it's proper, old-fashioned conspiracy story.

Unfortunately, when the inevitable Nick Cage film come out, there will be a flood of threads saying this manuscript actually predicted Obama/Bush/FEMA/the End of Days/China/Islam/Niburu/Masons and we'll be back where we started.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Just outstanding.
And the guy in the Video is sincerly happy about his new found knowledge on how to "crack" a code.

That, or he's just happy he scored an "I Robot" poster for his wall. (It's there)

Nice post OP!.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

“To someone at the time,” he added, “this would be like reading a manifesto from a terrorist organization.”

and...

a place where nobleman and business people were welcomed and strict adherence to Christianity was not required.

Put these two bits of info together and we have a rather civilized band of Anarchists with no religious fanatics.

edit on 16-11-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

No super devout Christians = no religious fanatics, eh? Yeah, okay.

You may be right that these were "a rather civilized band of Anarchists" though.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
We should start a research team on this.

One person track down the Jaegermeister connection, another the cypher history, and someone else research the possible secret societal connections!

Yeah but we might never hear from the Jaejermeister guy having had one too many of his own product.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

The popular alcoholic drink Jägermeister is produced in Wolfenbüttel, as well as the main headquarters for the company that produces it.

Did someone just say Jager!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all your fault, you made me go out and buy a bottle now.......... Na, I already bought it.......

Interesting so what's Jager have to do with the code?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join