It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG... Race IS really an issue for some? STILL???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

edit on 11/6/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

which half is irish and which is native?

i get that joke a lot when i mention my heritage. it is getting better and i say that from how it was growing up in the 60s and 70s, not nearly as bad but we have much room for improvement.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by PrplHrt

You don't think race affects how certain people live their daily lives? Tell me with a straight face that blacks aren't voting for Obama because he's half black.

I certainly can tell you with a straight face that Mittens owes much of his own success to being two halves white.

Really? What about the millions of people "two halves white" that are not successful and are poor? Seems to me race does not have much to do with it.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by Diggz
Whats Race? Im just another man of African decent. It really sucks that some people are so easily manipulated. Ask anyone whos "racist" why they think that way...They will just give the same old generic answer
which would probably be based off of their parents/family member views, or something they have seen on tv.

It will never be based off their personal experience with other "races", becaues if that were the case they obviously wouldnt believe in "race".

I also dont agree with people voting for Obama because hes "black", but Im sure most of you understand why someone would do that.
edit on 6-11-2012 by Diggz because: (no reason given)

Not necessarily.. so lets keep it real.

Most racism is either ignorance or hatefulness.. take your pick.Racists get SOMETHING psychologically out of the hate.. and hate covered with "understanding". They are deficient. Ive never had the violent racism toward me or my kids ( half white) other than from blacks, WHen you have several black "youths jump you in a grocery store parking lot and call you white bitch.. i call that racism. That didnt come from misconceptions or parents. I dont hate "blacks" due to it, but there is a definite cultural issue and deep ignorance.. mainly since Im not white

White people have a whole other kind of racism toward me.. they stick the head so far up my ass it squeaks type of pandering racism. which I actually hate more than the violent kind. The best is being mistaken for a "spic" or a "raghead".

Look me up on FB under advantage ats.. Im darker than some blacks, yet we were at an art fair and these few black kids were standing there and called me( red/brown) a little stream of stupid ( pinkie, vampire whitey.. blah blah) and I turned to him and said " REALLY?? YOU THINK IM WHITE! AWESOME!!! **thumbs up** I doubt he even understood my sarcasm or understood how far his blind hatred was since he hates anything thats NOT black.. regardless of what the person might be.
I work with what folks here call "inner city youth" and live a town over from East St Louis. Yes, Im in the 618. Im learning WHY there is racism and whites dont have the corner of the market on it. The blacks have a solid case for hard feelings as much as the whites... because its a lot more than TV or parental influence. Its BS people DO and SAY and BELIEVE. If we get off of PC obsessions and call it like it is... we might get somewhere. TO deny that means you deny the real problem that is ripping us all apart. Besides, one day both you blacks and you whites will figure out you arent the only 2 skin colors on the planet.. one day.. maybe,

I personally believe that culture is important. VERY. I want the blacks to maintain a culture.. just not this hatefulness. I want whites to get off their pedestals of assuming blacks REQUIRE their almighty white hand up.. an the blacks quit whining for it. My most happy day will be when blacks shrug off the victim mentality and raise THEMSELVES up.. deny white pity party involvement. WHites say.. hey, youre human beings.. do it yourselves. If you dont, my friend.. welcome to the rez, hope ya like the complementary commodity cheese at the concentration camp

Gotta give you a star for this post. Well said.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Although this thread is mainly on US politics, perhaps I could shortly add a thought or two.

I find it interesting that when a lot of people arrive at college or universities they are told to forget racism, or any subtle or direct assumptions from their previous circumstances.

Yet, especially in humanities (arts) courses they will soon be writing papers on examining or deconstructing a text by race, class or gender!

Now how can something be negated as outdated, and then it is constantly repeated and examined?

Sometimes racism is pushed as a topic where there is no blatant racism.

Islam, for example, is a religion and not a race.

Yes, there has been some racial profiling in the past, but in the UK at least two thwarted cases of terrorism concerned white converts.

However, if one criticizes Muslims one can easily be called a racist.
One can criticize Islam or Muslims if one makes it painstakingly and excruciatingly clear that one is only criticizing a teeny-tiny "radical minority".

In the current climate here I wouldn't even criticize Hamas or Hezbollah, or say anything to support Israel academically.

So here the potential charge of racism is very real, and very inappropriate.
I'd go as far as calling it a tactic to push certain politics, and silence others.

Our main opposition party in South Africa, the Democratic Alliance (DA), is led by a white woman, but they have grown since their merging of the former white DP and NNP.
DA meetings may now regionally resemble ANC meetings, with dancing and activist songs.
Racial slurs have been thrown at the DA by the ANC in various instances, and their black supporters have been insulted along the line of "coconuts" by those who think black people must only vote ANC (coconuts - only dark on the outside; but white on the inside).

Although traditional racism still exists and is hurtful, the cause of anti-racism can also stifle free speech, and not only can it repeat or merely reverse the problem, but it can be a form of political control and censorship.
edit on 6-11-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
So, why then, is the ex posting pictures from a polling place somewhere deep in the inner city? Pictures of a huge crowd where not a single Caucasian can be seen??? She's even going out of her way to post pictures of black people, posing for her, with statements like "My voting buddy. JESUS PROVIDES!"

Maybe this spoiled rotten reality is where her apparent racial guilt comes from. I don't know.

Heff, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." It sounds to me like your ex might be a spoiled rich kid who's still rebelling against her father, considering the father's view of his "nice" neighborhood.

I grew up in the South and lived there as an adult for many years. Boy, don't we have a deep-fried, traditional recipe of Bible-thumping preachers (in and out of the pulpit), racism, reverse racism, anti-racism, and flat-out hatred all concealed under the general guise of civilized Southern manners? The big ol' side dish of denial is just something you can expect in Dixie -- like cheese grits.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Race is still a huge issue on both sides of the aisle. I notice that it's a lot less of one in people in the younger generations, but you'd be hard pressed to find anybody over about 55, white or black, who isn't under the impression that it's still 1965 where I come from.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Mr Heff,

Nice to see the threads you and Beezer have started...great to see friendly rivalry.

This though....I think you see racism where it's not present, your first two examples of her posts...voting with heart, etc...there is no race bias in those posts. She seems to be attacking the main stream media talking heads where everything comes down to his race, and if you disagree, you are racist. I truly believe you are seeing things that are not there.

My take on the difference between a conservative and a liberal...the liberal must label everyone and group them, place blame for any ills true or perceived...as a conservative, I don't label people, African Americans, Mexican Americans, etc...I label them Americans...capable of anything anyone else is...and expect them to take as much or little as they see fit in this life. Personal responsibility vs govt responsibility to keep it short.

Enjoy the night...I'll be checking on your posts as well as beezer...who will win the war of the evening...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Your profile says "By the bay"... If I interpret that correctly then we've had like opposite lives. I grew up in the Bay area and then moved south.

That is why I think the whole southern racial tension thing still strikes me as totally illogical. I was raised in a place where race truly was not noticed or pointed out. People were simply people.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Lotta crap flying around here. Lotta holier-than-thou.

Floral excrement abounds in the North as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Now, that's funny! You nailed it. We had geographically mirrored lives. I think I got the easier migration, though. In the seven years that I've lived here, I've often thought how difficult it would be to return to the South and deal with some of the attitudes and narrow-minded views, there. Not everyone, of course, though -- you, yourself are a good example of an enlightened Southerner.

The only thing I really miss are the Taco Mac wings. Have some for me!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Taco Mac! Drink around the world and have wings! I've spent a LOT of money in Taco Mac! An Atlanta tradition.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Solution.

Vote for Peter Pan,Hulk Hogan or Daffy Duck instead.

The whole process is completely rigged.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I wouldn't vote for Obama for a number of reasons, but his being black probably ... would be one of those reasons. GASP?!?!?

I'm seriously sick of hearing how black Obama is. Or how black he's not. How he should be more or less black. And certainly above all I'm sick to death of hearing Liberals pull the race card every single freaking time someone disagrees with their point of view. Oh you don't like Obama? Must be racist!

!@$! that. Since day one it's been nothing about race from Liberals, so no, I would not vote for Obama because he's black. I look forward to being able to insult Romney and all his failed policies and not be yelled at for being racist and hating whites.

We often hate things the worst when they are reflections of our inner most feelings.

You stated several times that you are a racist. You confused it with incoherent arguments, but restated it as if it we missed it the first time.

So why would a racist vote for a black man? Trick question!

I noticed you are a mason? Any black people in your clan? Any black people in your town? Your street? Any black friends bwahahahahahaha, just kidding.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The fact that humans from any group can mate with humans from another distant corner of the Earth tells me that we are all most certainly the same race, the same species. What we don't like is the way some humans behave, but to anyone with an IQ above 80 it's obvious that skin color does not determine your behavior.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt

You don't think race affects how certain people live their daily lives? Tell me with a straight face that blacks aren't voting for Obama because he's half black.
I can tell you with a straight face that I'm a black guy, I didn't vote for him at all, ever. See? We do exist.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I've been hated on and discriminated for being an "aryan".

I've literally had people, generally people of "non-white" origin literally say things like,

"That stupid Aryan."

Sucks.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

What race he is, is pointless. They are puppets. Pure and simple.

Hey why not vote for Hulk Hogan/Steve Austin while where at it? They can do something about the deficit.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloro

aryans are indians right?

Its a hindu term.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I think you're going overboard. Someone needs to throw you a lifesaver.

/boggle

She sounds to me like someone who's had some life troubles but is still holding on, considering she has two kids and even has a job. That's better than can be said for many. She's rich and rich people tend to be spoiled and lack empathy for others (this is shown in research studies). She's leaning on her family probably because she's worrying too much about her kids and has a bit of a dependency complex (sort of like eating too much). But if that's as bad as her problems are, she's ok, in my book. Humans don't always act perfectly, I don't expect them to. I just expect them to follow the law.

You're letting that cloud your mind.

I think I see what's going on, but it's just my guess. Forgive me if I'm way off. But I think she sees the racism in the south and doesn't like it. She goes to a black church because she's trying to counter the racism around her. She feels that Jesus wouldn't segregate himself into mostly white communities. She's going to the black church to tell them she supports them and that it helps her cope with the anger she feels. It's not guilt for things SHE has done, it's guilt for what was done to blacks in the past and what's being down now by those she perceives around her. She's caught in the tide of racism and by surrounding herself with blacks it does indeed make her look like she's discriminating against them, but you have to keep in mind the circumstances around her.
edit on 6-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join