It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plasma Beam Eyed in Space Travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well this sounds like it might work!

Under the concept, a space-based outpost station would generate a high-energy plasma beam aimed at a spaceship equipped with a sail, resulting in it being thrust out into space.

In the startup phase, the plasma station would direct bursts of plasma beams at the spaceship over a period of several days, refueling in the interim, to bring the spacecraft to the right speed required for its flight between the planets.

www.wired.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Looks interesting, at last something that could enable Humanity to explore our Solar System.

BBC News Link

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hmm good post here, I remember something about it a while back. There is a little problem as the object gains distance, wont the plasma cause less of an effect, since the particles will disappate into the surronding universe ?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by racos
Hmm good post here, I remember something about it a while back. There is a little problem as the object gains distance, wont the plasma cause less of an effect, since the particles will disappate into the surronding universe ?

Yeah but the idea is to get it up to speed before the beam disperses to the point that it doesn't do anything. After that you let the craft coast to the destination. As stated in the article I read this method allowes for even greater acceleration than chemical rockets so getting it up to speed happens more rapidly.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
hmm wouldn't the platform itself start to feel momentum because of the beam like an ion drive? I know it would take time for the platform to experience momentum though.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
While the speed is nice, it still seems chancy to rely on the beam orbiting Mars to stop you. We know how often things "go wrong" around Mars.

Eh, but no risk, no gain right? To bad NASA doesn't follow that philosophy. One accident and they stop space travel for 2 years. Damned wimps...

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:21 AM
link   
By the time we've made one, it will already be obsolete. Why use solar sail propulsion, when you can use anti-gravity.

E_T

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viper85
hmm wouldn't the platform itself start to feel momentum because of the beam like an ion drive? I know it would take time for the platform to experience momentum though.
If you use certain force to accelerate particles in plasma there's always equal counterforce.

Winglee acknowledges that it would take an initial investment of billions of dollars to place stations around the solar system. But once they are in place, their power sources should allow them to generate plasma indefinitely.
www.spacedaily.com...
Only if those stations have infinite power sources!

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
questions.
What is the power source?

WHat is the cost?

WHo will make it?

top topics

join