It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dirty hippie tree humpers. (aka "Occupy")

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hi.

I want to understand so will somebody please explain to me how this is fair.

To begin let us say a person works hard or his family at some point worked hard and acquired some land. Actually it doesn’t matter how they got the land but it’s their land.

Then the above person continues to work hard and builds a home on this land. At some point the person decides to vacate this property. Maybe they buy more land and build another house. Once again it doesn’t matter why they left but it’s still their land and house.

Then another person comes along and decides to “occupy” the land and the house. Now this is where I get confused. The second person didn’t buy the land or house. They weren’t gifted the land or house. But for some reason they feel it is their right to take the land and house.

It’s like if I leave my car parked somewhere. It’s still my car even though it’s parked. You can’t take it.

I don’t understand what makes a person feel it is okay to steal another person’s home?

What is wrong in that person’s head that makes him / her think they are entitled to land and a house just because they are alive? They feel they don’t have to pay for anything and the rest of society is here to give them land and homes and whatever they decide to take.

Hold on before you answer I have a follow up question.

The second person leaves the land / house to go forage for berries or whatever. While they were out a third person “finds” the house and decides now they own the land and house. Now they’re going to “occupy” the property. Is that fair?

So anyway I don’t understand and if you can explain it so it makes sense I would be ever so grateful.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I dont get the "occupy" reference?

Has this got anything to do with the Occupy movement?

come to think of it...dont understand "Dirty hippie tree humpers" either...
edit on 30-10-2012 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What you've described sounds to me like "squatters" not "occupy".

To answer you're question, it isn't fair but people are opportunistic animals, or at least people with little or no conscious.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You might consider checking into the concept of Adverse Possession for a concise explanation including justification for the principle.

Excerpt-

Adverse possession exists to cure potential or actual defects in real estate titles by putting a statute of limitations on possible litigation over ownership and possession.

Because of the doctrine of adverse possession, a landowner can be secure in title to his land. Otherwise, long-lost heirs of any former owner, possessor or lien holder of centuries past could come forward with a legal claim on the property. The doctrine of adverse possession prevents this.

This means the law may be used to reward a person who possesses the land of another for a requisite period of time. Failure of a landowner to exercise and defend his property rights for a certain period may result in the permanent loss of the landowner's interest in the property.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yeah I'm pretty sure that is how america was founded as well as many other countries lol

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
You're right, it isn't fair. But no one owns their own land or house. The banks and state own everything. Don't believe me? Try not making any mortgage payment or property tax; see how long it takes the "land lords" to claim their property.

This is why stuff like this can happen. I feel your pain. I've experienced something similar.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

I think we have been struggling with this idea since the dawn of time. It is a moral struggle between material possession and over abundance of wealth in a world where dwindling resources and lack of quality land to build on are hot issues.

I don't advocate the stealing of another individuals land as that is what we (I live in the USA) did to the native americans when we came here and settled. So technically none of this is any of our land; we stole ALL of it from the native americans that were settled here. What I do have an issue with though is someone that acquires vast swaths of land and uses it for NOTHING. If everyone was at least entitled to a small plot of land that they could expand later on, I believe this to not be an issue and actually think that most people would be more productive this way but the cruel reality is that many people nowadays are born into a world where apartment living is now standard and land is quite expensive.

On one hand, I don't condone the theft of any land as that is why we have issues amongst each other today as it sits (wars over land) but on the other I don't condone the greed that some people have with their land when a family or two could find cheap land if it wasn't such a dwindling resource.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

obviously it refers to the occupy "movement".

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

No - It defines "occupy" to a t. You're right though as they are nothing but low life squatters.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I think it's just indicative of people who are dissatisfied with the status quo and are lashing out at the established order of things.

The occupy movement really isn't filled with dirty liberal hippies and the tea party movement really isn't filled with racist backwoods hillbillys.

Both movements are comprised of disenfranchised people. I give them both a break. They're sick and tired of the system and are just trying to speak up. Then the media brands them as a certain type so they will be hated by others and the movements never get momentum. The tea partiers are just a bunch of right wing extremists and the occupy movement are just a bunch of druggies and rapists who won't get a job.

Neither is true, though, IMHO.

edit on 10/30/2012 by AshleyD because: I can't type.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

obviously it refers to the occupy "movement".

I always thought the 'occupy' movement was a play on words in relation to the occupation of foreign nations by the American Military, not anything to do with 'adverse possession'.

'Squaters Rights' are pretty much a thing of the past anyway. There are plenty of empty houses in England but the Government wont let homeless people live in them, Even if nobody really cares. Thats why they have so many 'sheds with beds'.
edit on 30-10-2012 by GaiusMarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Thank you. I'm not talking about property that has been left vacant for many years.

I am talking about people who rent property and refuse to leave (squatters / occupy).

Somebody posted a thread earlier about the Hernandez Camp which is a perfect example I'll try to find it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
reply to post by kimish

No - It defines "occupy" to a t. You're right though as they are nothing but low life squatters.

Thats awful harsh dont you think? Walk a mile in some of these peoples shoes and learn to shut your mouth. No doubt some of the occupy people are bad people but that can be said of any given group of people. Just because you may have more things and opportunities than others doesnt mean you are any better than them. I dont believe in waiting for handouts but # needs to be done to fix the mess we are in and these people are pushing in the right direction

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

I never said I was better.

I have more things because I have a job and bust my ass I don't sit around in parks complaining.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
What you are describing has very little to do with "occupy." Moving in and taking anothers "property" is something that anthropologists believe people have been doing since the beginning of human existence. Is it fair? No, not really, not if someone else has already claimed the "property" but it is human.

Now it's my turn. What have these people you seem to have a problem with taken from you?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Squatters? I think you're referring to squatters. I don't get the occupy reference. The dirty hippie tree humper "Occupy" thing is the media's spin the the occupy movement. Which couldn't be farther from the truth. But no, squatters don't have right over an others private land. Call the cops.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Anundeniabletruth

Taken from me? Nothing. They couldn't. They know better even through the smoke they can see it would be a very bad idea.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

You're so wrong about the occupy movement it's not even funny. Have you been to any of the demonstrations? Your mood says in denial. At least you know.
edit on 30-10-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Nope. I haven't been to the rallies / riots.

I've seen plenty of videos. Oakland seems to come to mind.

If I'm so far off base explain what it is that I don't understand. Do they plan on going out and finding a job and contributing to society? Not seeing it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

You obviously know very little about the occupy movement. It isn't about a bunch of squatters whining about what they aren't getting. It is, and always has been, about the influence that big banks and corporations have in politics and policy making that allows them to gain large amounts of wealth at the expense of a nations people. It doesn't detail those that have worked hard to obtain their own money.

Whoever told you otherwise is completely wrong and there are large amounts of people going to these occupations without knowing what they are about. This isn't about a bunch of dirty jobless hippies who just want to whine and moan, this is about hard working americans that put their nose to the grind for near nothing while a small percentage of individuals who know how to pull the strings through special interest groups and lobbyist tactics do hardly nothing and gain more than their fair share. This is about those small few that reap what other people sow.

edit on 30-10-2012 by ApolloBloodline because: verbiage modification

<<   2  3  4 >>

join