It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

chompin on some melancholy. . nom om chaaa. . .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
So I've always loved meloncholy in the arts. It speaks to me deep down.

People tell me it's some sort of perversion
yet I find solace in this bizarre existence we call humanity, through it.

Here is a current tune I'm stuck on:

Enjoy

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

me too, I've always loved melancholy - in the arts - in philosophy, in my spirit and in my heart.

It also speaks to me deep down.

Not always, but today it does. it's beautiful when it does.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ylang

Thank you for the tune!

I played it first thing while lying in bed

Yea, I have extreme emotions that come out of me, and I need the melancholy to let me know that It's okay to enjoy such depth of shadows and light.

Enjoy your nite.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

you talk about your deep feelings with a lot of wisdom. ya, i think, it is an art to know how to allow to be melancholic.
could it be that melancholy is too often feared and seemingly depressing and sad circumstances are too quickly combated with forced happiness?

Baruch de Spinoza said “Laughter can have no excess, but is always good, melancholy, however, is always bad” - i don't think so

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ylang

I follow the cognitive functions model presented in the Briggs-Myers Typology Indicator. It's an imperfect system, but seems to help out a bit amongst the confusion of our innate differences.

Along those lines, allowing ourselves to experience and gain wisdom/insight from the full range of emotions seems to be what introverted feeling (Fi) is about. The opposite end is entraverted feeling (Fe), which is, IMO, much more shallow and concerned with social harmony more than anything else.

So those with strong Fe will shun most dark kinds of emotions, and feel that it does no good for society...they'll just see it as stupid dwelling. Fi grasps the need to follow our "heart" through the depths of all emotions. I feel more connected to humanity through an alternation of suffering, and ecstasy than I do through just putting on a happy face for no good reason.

I seem to be an ENFP, following the MBTI. Strong extraverted intuition, backed by auxiliary introverted feeling.

Going to check out the Portishead after a quick shower and picking up some grub. I'm still stuck on Radiohead lately. Here's another masterpiece:

edit on 30-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
i like 'kings of convenience', i like the theme of the guitar

edit on 30-10-2012 by applecore because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2012 by applecore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I really dug the portishead. Going to add that to my flash drive for driving tunes.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

....."I follow the cognitive functions model presented in the Briggs-Myers Typology Indicator."

dunno, mate, if I have to google something to be able to follow I’d rather not follow it. I work on having everything there in my introverted space ready to emanate it into the light with all its lightness.

my cognitive functions model: one sentence (or action) of considered truth of approx 10 m weighs maybe 1 g whereas 10 m of deceitful thoughtless untrue words would weigh approx 10 kg. 1g floats easy to heaven on a light breeze but 10 kg block the sun.

I agree with you: it has to be in the benefit for all society. I also feel more connected to humanity having an experiential understanding (even if imagined) of all our sufferings and ecstasies.

yea…. Radiohead is not too bad. a touch too hard for me. I love haunting melodies, eerie voices.

this song has a strange and dark soothing effect on me

and this one is an art film and is so dark in its melancholy that I recommend a huge portion of dark humorous attitude to go with it

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I love the part of the song when he sings:
"..But now i can see that There's a way out.. There's a way out"
It's pretty powerful.

Have you heard Pyramid Song?

new topics

top topics

join