It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudan claims Israeli airstrikes behind explosion in military factory in capital, Khartoum

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
After reading this article, this sure looks more like a US operation than an Israeli deal... hopefully we will get more news to further clarify what took place in Khartoum.

www.foxnews.com

Israeli airstrikes caused an explosion and large fire at a military factory south of the capital, Khartoum, killing two people, Sudan's government spokesman claimed Wednesday.
Minister of Information Ahmed Belal Osman told reporters that four aircraft hit the Yarmouk Complex, setting off an explosion that rocked the capital before dawn.
"Four planes coming from the east bombed the Yarmouk industrial complex," Belal said. "They used sophisticated technology." He didn't elaborate further.

My reason for raising an eyebrow to the claim is that the region is already tense for Israel, it doesn't make sense to me..

US however, how many times has the US used the War on Terror deal to justify targets in nations in the region.

We shall see if the smoke clears on this one..

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Here is map for peoples easy reference.

I too share your opinion. This attack does not make sense and not even a covert operation.

Someone really wants the Arab spring to burn....I hope this does not happen

Presuming this was Israel, why give something to unite common ememies. Would it not be easier to keep them all divided.

This was the issue during the Six day war. The disorganized attacks allowed Israel to easily fend off the attacks. This recent development seems to create the opposite scenario.

Unless that is what someone wants

edit on 24-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
After reading this article, this sure looks more like a US operation than an Israeli deal... hopefully we will get more news to further clarify what took place in Khartoum.

www.foxnews.com

Israeli airstrikes caused an explosion and large fire at a military factory south of the capital, Khartoum, killing two people, Sudan's government spokesman claimed Wednesday.
Minister of Information Ahmed Belal Osman told reporters that four aircraft hit the Yarmouk Complex, setting off an explosion that rocked the capital before dawn.
"Four planes coming from the east bombed the Yarmouk industrial complex," Belal said. "They used sophisticated technology." He didn't elaborate further.

My reason for raising an eyebrow to the claim is that the region is already tense for Israel, it doesn't make sense to me..

US however, how many times has the US used the War on Terror deal to justify targets in nations in the region.

Odd, Im with you on this, this wouldnt do Israel any good with already hightened tensions and scrutiny on the world stage.......

Whats the motivation?

This would make more sense as a US attack IMHO

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Here's a report from AlJazeera..

Discussing the event.. watching now..

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I agree, it doesn't make a lick of sense.

I'm thinking if's more of a cover up by the Sundanese and lay the blame at Israel's feet, saying it was an attack.

JMO.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Another video clip can be viewed at the bottom of the article here:

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

www.foxnews.com

Odd, Im with you on this, this wouldnt do Israel any good with already hightened tensions and scrutiny on the world stage.......

Whats the motivation?

This would make more sense as a US attack IMHO

Well Sudan does ship some of those weapons to people who use them to kill Israelis and Sudan is like Iran in that it has caused so many problems for others it is pretty isolated and disliked by the world community. So hitting it would not bring any real backlash. And Israel has strong ties to South Sudan who just was in conflict with Sudan. So an Israeli move here would be safe from retalition, help stop arms going to its enemies and help out is friend in South Sudan. No risk and lots of reward.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I will go ahead and make an argument on the other side of the fence...

It does make sense as it sends a message to several countries.

Sudan, who has supplied weapons to groups who oppose Israel.
Iran, who is skeptical of Israels ability to carry out a long range strike.
United States, who believes Israel cannot act without our approval or cooperation.
Hamas/Hezzbullah/other groups who are using more diverse methods and countries in order to obtain weapons.
China and Russia - Both countries have violated the UN resolutions banning the sale of military equipment to Sudan because of the civil war / Darfur issues.

Going back to the other side of the fence I personally dont beleive it was Israel simply because of what was attacked. Unless there was something else, or someone else, present at that location whats the point? There are a bunch of these types of facilities in about every country in the world. Why is Sudan different to the extent of Israel taking an action?

Could it be possible S. Sudan launched the attack? There has been some tensions recently, with active engagements on both sides over the last 24-48 hours. Its easier to blame Israel, who has better equipment than Sudan making it believable to Sudanese citizens, than to admit the county of S. Sudan was behind it and managed to evade detection.

Sometimes it comes to to pride.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Good points, this is still a headscratcher for sure..

I did see in the AlJazeera clip the possibility of this being in reaction to Qatari Emir's visit to the Gaza Strip where he pledged monetary support for the folks there.

If you would have told me 3years ago that in 2012 the entire region would be in so much turmoil, I would have said their were few screws loose in your noggin...

fast forward to now? I guess we shouldn't be surprised by anything that happens.. including this..

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Oh another blame Israel news item.

The Israel bashers never stop to consider the implication of what are saying. If every single thing is truly the work of the Israelis then I suggest you start being a lot nicer to them. Think about it: every attack is flawlessly executed in complete secrecy. Nobody ever sees it coming. They have the ability to strike anywhere at anytime.The globe is their battlespace. They never lose a single piece of equipment, they never lose a single man, and they never miss. How can you possibly fight against that level of perfection?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

It wouldn't be exactly a premiere.

An unnamed senior military official in Israel has confirmed Wednesday that a Tuesday attack on Sudan was carried out by the Israeli military. The confirmation came after a “no comment” response from the military itself.

“It’s not our first time there,” the official insisted. It is presumably a reference to the January 2009 Israeli attack, which likewise was not directly confirmed by the then-Olmert government, but was confirmed by US officials. That air strike was initially reported to have killed 39 people, but the Sudanese state media later put the toll over 100.

link

Israeli fighter jets, helicopters and possibly a submarine were involved in multiple attacks on targets in Sudan last week, according to local news outlets.

The reports say that Israeli jets hit targets in the eastern part of the African country, near its border with Egypt, last Thursday. They allegedly hit six Land Cruiser jeeps and killed four people. An earlier strike took place last Sunday and reportedly involved Israeli helicopters. A truck was targeted. Some reports say an Israeli submarine was also spotted at the same time.

Israel does not comment on whether reports of overseas actions such as these are accurate.

link

Israel has never conclusively admitted responsibility, but it is speculated that it is covertly operating in a number of North and Eastern African countries.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The attack was clearly a retaliation attack for the recent missile-attacks that has come out of Gaza lately. The weapons-facilities and harbor in Sudan could be tied to the weapons.

But, the real questions remains: What base were those four planes operating out of? They attacked from the East. There are not many countries those planes could be originating from. Can anybody confirm if these planes were in fact F-16 airplanes operating from Eritrea?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This may sound a little far fetched but do you think Israel was doing this as a possible 'training' excersize for any potential strike against iranian nuclear facilities

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
tidbits of info surfacing.. here's a snip from a Reuters piece:

www.reuters.com

...The governor of Khartoum state initially had ruled out any "external" cause for the blast but officials later showed journalists a video from the vast site. A huge crater could be seen next to two destroyed buildings and what appeared to be a rocket lying on the ground.

Osman said an analysis of rocket debris and other material had shown that the attack had been engineered by Israel, which Sudan views as an enemy.

NOT FIRST ACCUSATION

Several residents living near the factory told Reuters they had heard planes or missiles before there was a huge explosion.

"I heard a sound like a plane or missile and then the sky was lit up and a huge explosion occurred," a resident who declined to be identified said. "There was a big fire and several subsequent explosions."...

Hamas responding to this news?

Gazans blast Israel with rockets, draws airstrikes

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Another YT clip.. looks to be of the explosion..

Some possible angles presented in another article here:

www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well, its quiet clear to me now that Israel is capable of doing a bombing run on Iran and returning home.

Sudans target seems further away than Irans. Wasnt the distance and lack of refueling craft a bump in Israels plans?

seems not.
edit on 24-10-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Here's a link to a press release by the Sudan Embassy in London, concerning the event..

Sudan Embassy in UK: Israel Attacks the Yarmouk Munitions Factory in Sudan

The press release is in pdf format..

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Possible rehearsal for a strike on Iran?
seems likely

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Sudan claims to have proof that Israel is responsible and they says they know how to get them back but they aren't going to attack Israel directly.

Sudan "knows how to retaliate" against Israel

edit on 24-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Absolutely.

The distance to Khartoum from Israel is similar to that of Iran.

Things are about to get real spicy. I feel for all the innocent people getting caught up in this crap.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join