It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SNAP benefits are AWESOME!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I was on SNAP benefits. I got a job, so I got off of them. Today, I lost my job and will probably NEED SNAP benefits within the next week... assuming I can't get hired soon. Now, WHY is this in the social unrest section do you ask? I'm not about to riot if I don't get those benefits, but I'm only one person; there is no way of telling how, say, a dependent with a family would act should their benefits vanish (multiply that by several thousand). SNAP benefits provide a safety net for individuals and the family, but also provide a uniform and multilevel safety net for the government. SNAP benefits provide sustenance, much like the Roman practice of providing 'Bread and Circus' but, unlike that practice... SNAP benefits raise the demand for products, which is something that other nations/states/empires in our recorded history did not have the foresight to ensure; 'free' state provided food along with economic stability for the market.

DEBATE!
edit on 24-10-2012 by SymbolicLogic because: edit: Obviously I don't want to stay on SNAP benefits!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Hi op

Here is an excellent thread that was done a couple of nights ago

Please have a look
dave

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Actually, I cannot debate this topic as I am unfamiliar with SNAP benefits.

But can you explain?,

“SNAP benefits provide a safety net for individuals and the family, but also provide a uniform and multilevel safety net for the government.”

To be truthful, I see that phrase as a way of the Gov’t saying. “you don’t riot and we’ll feed you and take care of you.”

I think that would be wrong road to take as eventually the money WILL run out, at which point, there WILL be riots.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SymbolicLogic

Thank you for using my taxes responsibly. Many don't.....

Des

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Who the hell knows, that's why I asked you to debate the subject. I'm just taking notes.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SymbolicLogic

Who the hell knows, that's why I asked you to debate the subject. I'm just taking notes.

In your OP you claim you have, in the past been on SNAP benefits, and may go on them again. Yet, you also claim you don't know what they are. This leads me to doubt your OP now......just sayin'

It's pretty lame to ask people to debate something you are ignorant of. Especially since it's your thread.

Des

edit on 24-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Ah, the new term for "food stamps"....

What is SNAP?

SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, is a government assistance program to help low-income households pay for food. SNAP used to be called the Food Stamp program. The amount of SNAP food stamps a household gets depends on the household's size, income, and expenses.

www.massresources.org...

That's great to help those that really need it, such as yourself.

However, many abuse that privilege and it falls on the taxpayers to take care of them.
Not good.....

And yes, common sense would tell you that if all benefits ceased, there would be rioting.
If they riot over Nike shoes, they'll riot over their money being gone...

ETA: I read this at the bottom of the article, had to laugh...

SNAP's slogan is "Putting Healthy Food Within Reach."

So, is that what they call all those bags of chips, cookies, ice cream, etc......just saying.

Healthy food my azz.....yeah right.

edit on 24-10-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
They call it SNAP because they give free money to folks that have no interest in finding a job and then suddenly when they are cut off from it they SNAP!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SymbolicLogic

Grab your pen.

I personally believe that you should be outright banned.

Here we call this a troll thread.

It is not a debate, it is ignorance on your part.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SymbolicLogic

I was never one to believe in receiving benefits from the gov't such as welfare or food stamps. Not that I feel they are wrong, it is just a pride issue. THEN I got injured on the job 9 months ago, with no idea of when or "if" I will be able to return to work. I was already living paycheck to paycheck, and the loss of 2/3 of my income has crippled my family.
It is sad that many American's think SNAP benefits as being some "huge" handout that encourages laziness. That is so far from reality it is beyond childish to think that way. I receive a "whopping" $343.00 a month to feed 4 people. That REALLY is peanuts compared to what it actually costs to feed a family of 4. So with the SNAP benefits I primarily purchase the "stock" foods ( bread, eggs, milk, rice, boxed potatoes) and some meats but 2 weeks into the month our cupboards are practically bare. Eating healthy is almost impossible due to the rising costs of foods as well. So yup, I'm forced to buy a lot of T.V dinners, chicken nuggets, fish sticks and the like to keep my children from starving. This is NOT the life I ever wanted, nor can I see how anyone would WANT to live like this. I am actually embarrassed to use the card when at the store.
I pray for things to get better, and know that eventually a light will appear at the end of the tunnel. But for now, I am thankful for the help that I do get.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Learn how to read cpt... you have no idea what part of that guy's post I was referring to... use some common sense.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Hurt on the job you get short term and or long term disability if you cannot work and SSI.

reply to post by funnychick

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Wow, that is an ignorant, stupid, unfounded comment. What makes you so sure they want to be poor you bigot?

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Be Happy with your SNAP today or be prepared for The Hunger Games tomorrow...oh boy I'm beginning to think Government should recieve a complete overhaul every four years all congress senate and presidents vps replaced!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Hurt on the job you get short term and or long term disability if you cannot work and SSI.

reply to post by funnychick

Depends on the circumstances. Where I live, you only get short or long term disability if you pay for insurance ahead of time. Also, I'm pretty sure you can only get the SSI if you are permanently disabled.

top topics

join