It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.3 EQ California

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
I felt it all the way in Fresno. it was definitely a roller, felt it roll across the house. Like someone rolled under my chair. havent felt one like that here in a long time.

Silver

I remember being in Taiwan and feeling my first. I was in a 12 story building on the 11th floor and it just felt like my reality was slipping sideways is the best way I can describe it.

I felt nauseous and strangely peaceful at the same time.

Strange.

That was a 5.5

Peace

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I just moved to Arroyo Grande, California (15 minutes north of Santa Maria) like 14 months ago. This is the first EQ I've experienced. It was really cool, and unexpected. At first my fiancee thought that I was somehow magically moving the TV, couch and coffee table simultaneously with one foot. Then I looked up to see my bottle of water shifting back and forth on my speaker.

I'm 95 miles south from the epicenter, and i still felt it pretty strongly. Is it normal to get a little dizzy when they hit?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mnemicrsl
I just moved to Arroyo Grande, California (15 minutes north of Santa Maria) like 14 months ago. This is the first EQ I've experienced. It was really cool, and unexpected. At first my fiancee thought that I was somehow magically moving the TV, couch and coffee table simultaneously with one foot. Then I looked up to see my bottle of water shifting back and forth on my speaker.

I'm 95 miles south from the epicenter, and i still felt it pretty strongly. Is it normal to get a little dizzy when they hit?

Dizziness was probably part due to the adrenaline and part due to the motion sickness. After all, the entire land mass you were sitting on was moving back and forth

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Been in a 5.3... I heard this weird noise in the neighborhood, then it shook my house, the bed I was laying on, and the garage door. Nothing broke, but it wasn't a minor quake... that's for sure.

I have some questions to put out there: Isn't the duration of the quake a factor as well? And why doesn't the MSM report this? A 10 sec M5.3 is much different than a 1 minute M5.3.... Or am I missing something obvious here?
edit on 21/10/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Originally posted by Renegade2283
reply to post by randyvs

Meteors cause earthquakes? I never heard of such a thing.

Anyways, is 5.3 a particularly large quake for that area? Just doesn't seem that worrisome to me.

Never heard of the idea of meteor slamming into the earth and registering a magnitude either have ya ?
Well I wouldn't be worried if it were both an eathquake and a meteor.

So nah !

You think if a meteor hit hard enough to cause a worrisome earthquake, then the effects of the meteor wouldn't be hard to find.

That idea just sounds a little too far-fetched to be accurate. Btw I wasn't being sarcastic, I was serious, I had never heard of that.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
In California !!!!!!!!?????

No !

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
In California !!!!!!!!?????

No !

I know!

Hard to believe yet there it is in black, white and a big 'ol red dot in the middle.

Peace

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS
Been in a 5.3... I heard this weird noise in the neighborhood, then it shook my house, the bed I was laying on, and the garage door. Nothing broke, but it wasn't a minor quake... that's for sure.

I have some questions to put out there: Isn't the duration of the quake a factor as well? And why doesn't the MSM report this? A 10 sec M5.3 is much different than a 1 minute M5.3.... Or am I missing something obvious here?
edit on 21/10/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

Its duration, type of quake(rolling ones are not as bad as ones that snap), magnitute etc...

A 4.2 pointer 30 miles away made my fridge jump two feet but
I slept through a 5 pointer I was on top of
been through a few 7+'s too. The last one was the most freaky, hiding under a cheap oak table I could hear the wood beams in the house groan loudly as the home was bent back and forth
edit on 21-10-2012 by GeneralMishka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I thought my wife was pushing the bed with her foot while I was lying on it reading a book. When I turned around and looked at her, she was looking at me all weird and we looked at the stuff on our dresser and it was shaking around pretty good. We didn't feel it for very long, maybe ten seconds at the most. I live about 2 hours away from King City, which was either the epicenter or close to it.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Originally posted by Logman
Breaking News: There has been an earthquake in a seismicly active area.

I lived in Chino Hills for a couple years when I was around 8-9 y/o. There were 4.0s all the way up to the 6.8 Northridge quake in '94

California didn't slide in to the Pacific then and it won't now

For what it's worth, almost my entire family still lives between L.A. and Semi Valley with the remainder in the Bay area. Of Course California isn't slipping into the Pacific Ocean. If that happened...the global cataclysm in progress to cause it won't leave anyone time to care about any one state's fate unless we live there anyway.

However, I do appreciate the OP reporting this, even as a small one by Cali standards. The WHOLE Ring Of Fire has been waking up for over a year as many have sat to watch happen. Anything in that line is something to notice.

Besides....... Growing up there, sliding into the Pacific was the LAST of my problems for "The Big One". I was a WHOLE lot more concerned about escaping Los Angeles when.....if you think about this real hard for a sec....it's a geographically ISOLATED place when unbroken pavement to drive on is a requirement. You have I-10, I-15 and I-5. 2 with mountain passes and all three with enough overpasses to fall in place to make driving a far distant memory for weeks or months.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Nice to have a fortune teller in our midst.

Every disaster in history has had the same naysayers. Those are usually the ones that perish because they just knew more than everyone else...without proof.

Peace

Nice to have meaningless threads about minor earthquakes in California cluttering the new topics page too
edit on 21-10-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Nice to have a fortune teller in our midst.

Every disaster in history has had the same naysayers. Those are usually the ones that perish because they just knew more than everyone else...without proof.

Peace

Nice to have meaningless threads about minor earthquakes in California cluttering the new topics page too

B-B-But...I didn't put it on the front page.

Members who apparently DON'T think it's meaningless put it there.

Peace

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
All threads make the new topics for being new... Sorry to burst your bubble.

But I gotta go, it rained in Wyoming today and we'll need a thread

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

All threads make the new topics for being new... Sorry to burst your bubble.

But I gotta go, it rained in Wyoming today and we'll need a thread

Oh...Jeez I haven't been around long enough to know this. Thanks!

And the other members that found this worthwhile enough to comment and flag to KEEP it on the front page should be made aware of how everything works as well.

Teach on!

But...Have you been around long enough to know that if you don't like a thread you can hit ctrl R or F5 or even just your back key to ease out of it? You are then free to go off in search of things that actually interest you.

Just wondering.

Peace

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

reply to post by Renegade2283

That idea just sounds a little too far-fetched to be accurate. Btw I wasn't being sarcastic,

I don't know why you're throwing sarcasm into an obviously non productive exchange such as this ? But for you to presume that's what I was thinking, isn't just inaccurate, but a fallacy of text you may want to consider in the future.

How about sound can it cause an earthquake and have you ever heard of it before ?

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Nothing here in Escondido! I pray that im not stuck in traffic when a big one hits. Any one remember the Oakland Ridge earthquake and the freeways collapsing? Thats an image i hope to never experience!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Yawn. Unfortunately, I am to far a way from the epicenter to have felt it, it would have been fun though. I love the feeling.
Yes, this is a minor earthquake. A nice 6 pointer in my area would be nice. We are over due. Haven't had a good shaker in a while.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It was a decent little shaker, to put it in a locational context,
The following pics were taken a few years ago very near the epicenter.
The referenced town of new idra is about 1/2,mile down that road

This next one is very near where the epicenter maybe within a couple miles

This last one is looking towards Coalinga, Coalinga was flattened in 1983 by a 6.7? along the same section of fault, the ridge in the background went up half a meter during that quake.

And for the people who think the weekends quakes were insignificant, historically when this central section of the san andreas system there are larger quakes within a short period on other sections of the faul.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
I felt it all the way in Fresno. it was definitely a roller, felt it roll across the house. Like someone rolled under my chair. havent felt one like that here in a long time.

Silver

I remember being in Taiwan and feeling my first. I was in a 12 story building on the 11th floor and it just felt like my reality was slipping sideways is the best way I can describe it.

I felt nauseous and strangely peaceful at the same time.

Strange.

That was a 5.5

Peace

Ive been through a few already, this one didnt even make the pool slosh so no worries. Even had one that moved the house just right enough to roll my sausage back and forth in the pan perfectly back in the 80s. ;-)

Silver
edit on 22-10-2012 by S1LV3R4D0 because: too many perfectlys!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I was so, so close to getting cake from you all!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

<< 1    3 >>

join