It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cosmic rays offer clue our universe could be a computer simulation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

www.wired.co.uk

Humans have explored the laws of our universe for many years now, and it's not uncommon to hear people talk about how amazing it is that certain fundamental values are just right for life to exist. Some people have wondered if that's because the whole universe is actually some kind of sandbox simulation, and we're merely characters in some cosmic game of The Sims. If that's true, then there should be a point where we start to bump up against the edges of the simulator, like Jim Carrey's character escaping from The Truman Show -- and now a team of physicists think that a particular measure
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have, as I'm sure a lot of you have also, thought of the possibility that we exist in some Koind of highly advanced computer simulation, much like the matrix.
Now a group of scientists think they have found evidence of this.
What does everyone think of the subject?
If its, as I'm sure some people will take it, evidence of some koind of intelligent creator, then how would this revelation change or views on the idea?
I'm not a religious person myself but I've always been interested in the idea of intelligent design.
But what if somehow we created ourselves? Now that would be a strange kind of paradox but the universe is a strange place right?

www.wired.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Stick a pin in your hands and you will see it is not.

Or

Maybe some thing more intense will show you it was not.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

I wish it were that simple!

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

Originally posted by mideast

Stick a pin in your hands and you will see it is not.

Or

Maybe some thing more intense will show you it was not.

I can see from quoting that you, Mideast, view this thread to be idiotic...judging by the "stfu" emoticon you used. Allow me to set you straight - politely, of course.

There is probably a code for inducing pain in living creatures - we have methods of electrical stimuli that generate false sensations, chemicals that do the same thing, and this suggests there is indeed a mathematical formula that quanitifes pain.

In fact, everything in the universe can be quantified. Unfortunately, quantification takes the meaning out of everything. Math is the language of the universe, geometry is its poetry, but for beings who use a completely different language, it removes all meaning and beauty. There is something to be said for seeing something with your heart and not your brain.

In the meantime, if you view OP's premise to be ridiculous, prove to me that this reality isn't simply the result of stimulus provided by curious alien scientists prodding our brains as they float in jars.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wongbeedman

Humans have explored the laws of our universe for many years now, and it's not uncommon to hear people talk about how amazing it is that certain fundamental values are just right for life to exist.

Yes, well, quantum physics addresses that issue by saying of course the values are just right, we wouldn't be here if not. and they are just right because every possible combination has played out, and we happen to be in the one that can support us

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman

I have, as I'm sure a lot of you have also, thought of the possibility that we exist in some kind of highly advanced computer simulation, much like the matrix.

I think something along that line is very possible.

I think physical existence is billions of years of multi-layered energy created worlds.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
Yes, well, quantum physics addresses that issue by saying of course the values are just right, we wouldn't be here if not.

Quantum mechanics and multi-verses are not needed for that observation. It is, in fact, the most obvious conclusion -- if everything wasn't the way that it is, we would not be here to make that observation.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I have, as I'm sure a lot of you have also, thought of the possibility that we exist in some kind of highly advanced computer simulation, much like the matrix.

I think physical existence is billions of years of multi-layered energy created worlds.

That is an interesting thought. Thinking about it, if we really are surrounded by an infinite number of parallel universes then surely You must be right in some way!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

(13)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I wasn't impolite. I meant it was so imaginary and not real.

I just wanted to tell that there are definitions and perceptions that are getting near to the truth every day.

But some thing is missing , the one who is and has been keeping the order.

This universe can be some sort of simulation , but my actions are decided by myself.

This simulation and order can be taken and there can be another order.

That is what all the prophets have been talking about.

And the piece about aliens.

They have been discussed with different names in all Ibrahamic religions.

But some people want to imagine things about them and are so affected by those creatures.

Looking at the tremendous universe we live in tells me that it has some order much larger than we can reach or see.

And there should be something keeping the order from the beginning.

Despite all recent discoveries people like to follow their own imaginations and neglect the truth.

All the vast discovery and refusing to believe in creator just reminds me of a child who has done something very bad and wants to do it still.

Stop illusions. There is a very big order that we can not imagine although we know it.

God is no alien wanting to manipulate you. He has created you while he knew every aspect and detail about you.

Sharing illusions brings more illusions.

But you are the guard of your heart and mind.

Do as you want.

PS : I was not talking to you most of the times , honestly. To the deluded people.

peace
edit on 11-10-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The source article (here) bases its study on the idea that reality is a computer simulation being run in what would be our future, by our descendants. Well, sort of... since we don't exist, I'm not sure how we have descendants, but I digress.

Anyhoo, that reminded me of an article I read a while back on the same notion, with one of the funniest lines I'd seen in a long time.

Until recently, the simulation argument hadn’t really attracted traditional researchers. That’s not to say he is the first scientist to predict our ability to run realistic simulations (among others, Ray Kurzweil did that in his 1999 book The Age of Spiritual Machines), but he is one of the first to argue we might already be living inside one. Rich has even gone one step further by attempting to prove his theories through physics, citing things like the observable pixelation of the tiniest matter and the eerie similarities between quantum mechanics, the mathematical rules that govern our universe, and the creation of video game environments.

Just think: Whenever you **** up there could be the intergalactic version of an overweight 13-year-old Korean boy controlling you and screaming “****!” into an Xbox headset. It sort of takes the edge off things.

Source: Whoa, Dude, Are We Inside a Computer Right Now?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

reply to post by mideast

I wish it were that simple!

It has never been never simple.

The ignorants think it's simple.

But illusion is not an option.

Maybe one day you can pull all you know together and think "it was simple"

It will mean that you are already neglecting many things or you have much to discover.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

That is an interesting thought. Thinking about it, if we really are surrounded by an infinite number of parallel universes then surely You must be right in some way!

I do think we are.

I believe the Oneness theory - - - that all is from an original energy source. That energy evolved into consciousness and creates by energy thought.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

could be a computer simulation

I hope someone will issue a patch soon. The code in the blue marble section needs the bugs worked out

edit on 11-10-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: Grammar

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mideast
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I wasn't impolite. I meant it was so imaginary and not real.

I just wanted to tell that there are definitions and perceptions that are getting to the truth every day.

But some thing is missing , the one who is and has been keeping the order.

This universe can be some sort of simulation , but my actions are decided by myself.

This simulation and order can be taken and there can be another order.

That is what all the prophets have been talking about.

And the piece about aliens.

They have been discussed with different names in all Ibrahamic religions.

But some people want to imagine things about them and are so affected by those creatures.

Looking at the tremendous universe we live in tells me that it has some order much larger than we can reach or see.

And there should be something keeping the order from the beginning.

Despite all recent discoveries people like to follow their own imaginations and neglect the truth.

All the vast discovery and refusing to believe in creator just reminds me of a child who has done something very bad and wants to do it still.

Stop illusions. There is a very big order that we can not imagine although we know it.

God is no alien wanting to manipulate you. He has created you while he knew every aspect and detail about you.

Sharing illusions brings more illusions.

But you are the guard of your heart and mind.

Do as you want.

PS : I was not talking to you most of the times , honestly. To the deluded people.

peace

I believe we are beginning to scrape the surface, to realise what's really going on.
I think, if there's any validity in any religion, then these religions might, at a stretch be evidence of a form of ancient science. (Which would have been completely different at the time as it wouldn't have been viewed as religion).
Just like in the future its possible that we'll discover that everything we know about science is wrong.
At this point, the people who believe it religiously will stick with it, claiming it as being "self evident" and a new form of science will rise.
If this makes any sense to anyone? I have a lot of strange thoughts about this subject.
I am very interested to see how future religions shape up.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If we live in a simulation, i think the only way out s enlightenment, or perhaps physical death releases you from the physical dimensions and you get to see behind the veil.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
The source article (here) bases its study on the idea that reality is a computer simulation being run in what would be our future, by our descendants. Well, sort of... since we don't exist, I'm not sure how we have descendants, but I digress.

Anyhoo, that reminded me of an article I read a while back on the same notion, with one of the funniest lines I'd seen in a long time.

Until recently, the simulation argument hadn’t really attracted traditional researchers. That’s not to say he is the first scientist to predict our ability to run realistic simulations (among others, Ray Kurzweil did that in his 1999 book The Age of Spiritual Machines), but he is one of the first to argue we might already be living inside one. Rich has even gone one step further by attempting to prove his theories through physics, citing things like the observable pixelation of the tiniest matter and the eerie similarities between quantum mechanics, the mathematical rules that govern our universe, and the creation of video game environments.

Just think: Whenever you **** up there could be the intergalactic version of an overweight 13-year-old Korean boy controlling you and screaming “****!” into an Xbox headset. It sort of takes the edge off things.

Source: Whoa, Dude, Are We Inside a Computer Right Now?

You're right that made me laugh, a lot!
And yeah I've also seen articles in the past discussing those eerie similarities.
Thinking about it, with the incredible rate that computer technology and our ability to simulate real life using computer software is progressing.
Assuming we're here long enough, surely its inevitable?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

That is what I meat.

you don't even look at the main part.

Just check the distance between reality and what you think.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I hope this isn't MS Office. I have nothing but trouble with those damn SS.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join