It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF time travel existed time would cease to exist, and since time exists, time travel can not

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
if you were to go back in time you would only be able to alter the future, but you can not go back to a future that doesn't exist, which the one you came from would not, once you alter it, which invariably you would, alter it, just by going back in time.
once there you would have to live in that time until a time that you decided to go back in time again and alter that future, even if you believed it would alter the future you changed the first time, having gone back, in time, to your new future
this would repeat until you decided to satisfy your reason for going back in time the next time, you would choose to go further back in time to a past beyond the time you have previously been. once there you would have again altered the future, and again thus reset all futures, that do not yet exist.
you would continually do this and live almost for all time until eventually you went so far back, after having seen all moments in time, you chose to go to the beginning of time. when you did, there would be no future of time and time wouldn't exist at that moment.
having reset all of the history of the future, time would cease to exist, at the beginning, of time. just before this happened, for that moment in time before the beginning of time, on your way there, time travel exists as time ceases to, and since time exists, after you finish reading these thoughts, in this future, as we know it now, since time exists, time travel can not.
if it did, we would have all spontaneously ceased to exist, as we would all collectively be in a future that was about to be altered, reset, erased from an earlier moment in a previous time, yet we are not. not yet. we are here
edit on 6-10-2012 by AlchemistSwami because: spelling

edit on 6-10-2012 by AlchemistSwami because: punc.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
That depends how you view time. I personally don't believe it is possible, but not because of what would happen if we could time travel.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AlchemistSwami

i have time travelled once to year 1993.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Time is a figment of our feeble human existence...
Second line.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by fasteronfire
Time is a figment of our feeble human existence...
Second line.

No, time exists, but we don't understand it.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

we are traveling in a time machine now, the only one known where you can alter your future, alter The future, with a choice a decision in a moment. and this is as close to time travel as any will ever get. the future doesn't yet exist, from any given moment in time, and at that moment when it does, the past time must equally no longer exist, because it wasn't altered in that moment of time, by a time traveler. we are in the only moment that exists in any given moment, in time, but knowing this, we can change the future, in that, in this, moment, and that is a powerful ability to possess

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
If you can go back into the past, going into the future should be relatively easy - we already know for a fact ways of doing it (travel really fast, extreme gravity). The future you go back to might be different than the one you left, but I see no reason why the future wouldn't exist anymore? And this doesn't even take into account creating alternate universes by altering the timeline.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I concede before all the flaming starts.
Time is irrelevant. Everyone that doesn't share my view wins by default.
Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Maybe what we think of as time travel is nothing more than entering or exiting parallel universes. Each choice each person has made since the dawn of time has each created an infinite number of universes and possibilities.

Sorry, just got done watching Sliders a few days ago. Great show

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I starred everyone post after mine the defends time.
I have no definite idea. Therefore everyone but myselfd is correct.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Hahah did you go see Loopers?...that movie had my mind running all night after having a long argument with my buddy that time travel is just a fantasy.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by fasteronfire
reply to post by SpearMint

I starred everyone post after mine the defends time.
I have no definite idea. Therefore everyone but myselfd is correct.

Why are you giving in to any disagreement? I'm interested to read your opinion on the matter, and the reasoning behind it.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Have you considered the possibility of multiple timelines. An infinite amount of them.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

If time travel existed then time travellers would be here in 2012 and all the years before and after this date. It would not matter when time travel is discovered it could be 50 years or 5,000 years or 5 Million years. But if it ever was discovered then time travellers would be here now. So either they are here and keeping themselves very quiet or time travel into the past is impossible.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Nedusa

I think you just hit the billion dollar answer to more than we may suspect. I also think there is, just occasionally, a tiny slip to the efforts from what is happening in that way. Some notice it...most don't. Not everyone who notices it, catches each of these slips....but they exist. I believe that very strongly.

I have no clue what is in our near term future that caused the interest to screw with the timeline as much as has happened and I could swear it's been happening for a long time in our sense of things...but more and more as time has progressed. It's almost cliche by this point, but the sense of building to something is sure there.

Pay no mind if what I said here makes no sense... If one hasn't experienced anything like this, it's impossible to explain in any decent way.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Firs thing is..... Wall of text. If time travel existed, people "should" be much better at paragraph structure. Second thing, your wrong, on pretty much every concept.

edit on 6-10-2012 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
The logic would make sense if: Time wasn't relative.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Two things:

1. There was a story regarding 'time travel' whereby a man wished to go back and stop the crucifixion of Christ. He was told that he could not alter events that had happened but nevertheless insisted that he could and was duly sent back in time where he was walking down a street and approaching him was a man he instantly recognized as Simon Peter. "Good morning Simon" he said, to which Simon Peter replied "Good morning Judas"!

2. I do not believe that anyone could go back in time for a number of reasons, some of which many posters to this thread have speculated on. However, I do believe that we could send an 'observer machine' back in time that could record a number of events that have puzzled us. Could this be what some of those "UFO's" are that we see in our 'time'?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

Thank you, Dr Who!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Sure you could do it. If you have a device which can send you backwards in time you would have to make sure not to run into yourself. If you did it would create a pardox and a very loud explosion. So you say how would it be possible. Think of it this way, the device dosn't really transport you back and forth through time as we see it. Here where we exist is called linear time. Which is the progression of time moving forward from the past, to the present to the future. But what if this hypothetical device slipped you out of linear time flow into the non-linear existence. Where Time flows all in the same place. Past, present, future is all in the same place. Then you could simply focus on what time you wanted to go, move out of our time, pick a spot and re-appear back in our normal time mode. Then you could wear the current fashions and be an observer. The same way upon leaving to return to the present.

Time+energy+sound,,,and a few other things like probably enough power to light up a major city just to make a jump. If TPTB have the technology now we the common citizen will never be privy to it. If we don't have it yet, give it some TIME...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join