It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we know which side of the edge of the universe is nearest to us?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi
the edge represents the current space time at any given moment?

what does "the current space-time" equal in that statement?

The present. It's not like the Universe is growing from some specific edge. As far as I understand, the Universe is expanding from every "point".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
To observe maybe fire a high power laser in an omni direction. The laser would be a hybrid wave of light gamma /audio/neutrino particle powered by some advanced energy nuclear or better source. The laser has distance tracker related to how far beam needs to go so when laser beam has passed vast distances its beam request more energyt to maintain the residual beam energy and you detect distance from energy needed. If laser hits a star/black hole or dense nebula material or something known and detected as constant it goes thru it with the neutrino particles why at same time detecting and labeling what was in its way data to be used for future scans
Now once the laser reaches a point of reflection that it cannot penetrate that is not a constant like dark matter and has no observable understanding that may be a side of the universe. It would take a universal creator creation effort to map accurately 1 would imagine. My 3 cents

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
short answer is no, we cant see far enough

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

the edge represents the current space time at any given moment?

what does "the current space-time" equal in that statement?

The present. It's not like the Universe is growing from some specific edge. As far as I understand, the Universe is expanding from every "point".

en.wikipedia.org...

ok but if it exists in a 3-d realm,,,, it will take on some 3 - d "shape" ...... if it started at a point and expanded,,,, the action of expansion is the 4th dimension,,, or the 3 -d shape,, expanding or growing...,

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I have a bad feeling that were on the wrong side of the universal tracks.
Maybe that's what all the other intelligent aliens are avoiding us.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I've done a little thinking on this topic, and without reading the 4 prior pages, here's my thoughts:

We have a picture of the cosmic radiation background, yes? Surely this wall of radiation is varied in distance depending on which direction we're looking, is it not? This was never explained when they revealed the background image. Very simple answer to OP's question, I believe lays in this data.

Either way, if the universe is a big bubble, or a flat rectangle membrane, it shouldn't matter. If we're capable of seeing the radiation background of the "big bang" @ 13.7 billion light years away, while looking "north", for instance, how far is the background if we look south? This was never explained. Maybe it can't be. But surely if it can be explained in these simple terms, we should be able to sufficiently map the universe.
edit on 4-10-2012 by mattdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattdel
I've done a little thinking on this topic, and without reading the 4 prior pages, here's my thoughts:

We have a picture of the cosmic radiation background, yes? Surely this wall of radiation is varied in distance depending on which direction we're looking, is it not? This was never explained when they revealed the background image. Very simple answer to OP's question, I believe lays in this data.

Either way, if the universe is a big bubble, or a flat rectangle membrane, it shouldn't matter. If we're capable of seeing the radiation background of the "big bang" @ 13.7 billion light years away, while looking "north", for instance, how far is the background if we look south? This was never explained. Maybe it can't be. But surely if it can be explained in these simple terms, we should be able to sufficiently map the universe.

we cant see the farthest edges of the universe,,,,, we can only view the "observable" universe,,, which is a supposed and rightfully so,, much smaller window compared to the whole picture...,.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
You inhabit a spherical universe,
Therefore that universe has no sides.

Seeing as there is no way to tell which way is
True North, South, East, West, Up, Down,
Without being outside of the universe to observe it,

It is also impossible to say where in it you are,
Apart from using a point system,
And every races point system would be different
Due to their different perspectives based on where
In the universe they are.

Effectively your position in the universe is irrelevant,
The only luck you will have with positioning is on a galactic
Level, Anything further will always be outside of your grasp.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmmonSeth

lets say the earth is a model of a spherical universe.... and it was some time ago half its size and has been expanding since its creation..... the surface would be the edge at any given time,...,.,

its impossible to say where we are within the universe,..,.,.,. that doesnt mean at any and every given time,, we are not exactly where we are,, in relation to all other things in their position in the universe,,..,

your last point is true about galactic level,, being the rational way to comprehend location in the macro universe.,,. i took the OP thread title " do we know which side of the edge of the universe is nearest to us",, to insinuate the "nearest to us" meaning nearest to our galaxy ...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

we cant see the farthest edges of the universe,,,,, we can only view the "observable" universe,,, which is a supposed and rightfully so,, much smaller window compared to the whole picture...,.

But that was exactly my point. The cosmic radiation background IS the farthest edge of the universe, as far as anything we're able to see. This background was observed in every direction. Surely it must vary in distance SOMEWHERE, no? If not, we're the center.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

But that was exactly my point. The cosmic radiation background IS the farthest edge of the universe, as far as anything we're able to see. This background was observed in every direction. Surely it must vary in distance SOMEWHERE, no? If not, we're the center.

so the cosmic radiation is the farthest we can see in the observable universe....... that doesnt say much about the greater unobservable universe that may be magnitudes larger then we can observe in any direction,.,.,.

if the universe went twice as far as the observable edge,,.,. i would expect a hazy shield of light and radiation from the double more distant macro energy sources traveling through space and emitting its electromagnetic radiation

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmmonSeth

lets say the earth is a model of a spherical universe.... and it was some time ago half its size and has been expanding since its creation..... the surface would be the edge at any given time,...,.,

its impossible to say where we are within the universe,..,.,.,. that doesnt mean at any and every given time,, we are not exactly where we are,, in relation to all other things in their position in the universe,,..,

your last point is true about galactic level,, being the rational way to comprehend location in the macro universe.,,. i took the OP thread title " do we know which side of the edge of the universe is nearest to us",, to insinuate the "nearest to us" meaning nearest to our galaxy ...

You make very little sense,
Although that is understandable given your
Very limited form of existence,
Talking about a subject of which you are
Not even capable of ever fully comprehending.

You would do much greater focusing your
Human mind on matters it is capable of
Dealing with & maybe even improving upon,
I.E with water being the most abundant source
Of life on your planet, Why have you not made
It your most abundant source of fuel?

To explain this subject in terms you may
Be able to understand, Imagine this,

You are standing at the edge of a cliff,
You cannot lean forward and look down over
The edge, In your hand you hold a stone.
You throw this stone as far as you can,
It eventually disappears beyond your sight.
Now, you know the stone still exists,
You also know the place the stone is must
Still exist. However you cannot observe
Where the stone now is due to your limited
Position.

For all you know, A direction you observe,
Understand and use in day to day life,
Could very well be the exact opposite on a
Universal level. Remember there are at least
9 dimensions you are aware of. Some of these
Have not even fully formed yet, When they do,
Who is to say they will not completely change
How you even observe direction to begin with?

Now take your mortal mind & indulge it in
More trivial matters please.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join