It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCARY: Key set available for $150 on eBay provides an all-access pass to NYC.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Key set available for $150 on eBay provides an all-access pass to NYC

This man has the keys to the city — and he’s selling them for a measly 150 bucks.

If the wrong person buys a set, we could all be in trouble.

Retired New Jersey locksmith Daniel Ferraris, 69, is hawking what he calls a “firemen’s key ring” — and what a terrorist might call a dream come true.

The set consists of five keys that would allow control of virtually any elevator in the city, could knock out power to municipal buildings and skyscrapers, darken city streets, open subway gates and some firehouse doors and provide full access to 1 World Trade Center and other construction sites.

Ferraris sold an undercover Post reporter the key-collection ring after posting his wares on eBay under the user name “thesixlever.”

Total cost: $149.95.

He agreed to hand them off at his home in Union City, just minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel, saying the keys “probably still work, but don’t try to use them.” He asked no questions.

Most of the keys did, in fact, work.

Am I the only person in the world who didn't know sets of keys like this existed?

The article continues:

Three of the five are standard issue for members of the FDNY, and the set had a metal dog tag that was embossed with an FDNY lieutenant’s shield number, 6896.

The keys include the all-purpose “1620,” a master firefighter key that with one turn could trap thousands of people in a skyscraper by sending all the elevators to the lobby and out of service, according to two FDNY sources. And it works for buildings across the city.

That key also allows one to open locked subway entrances, gain entry to many firehouses and get into boxes at construction jobs that house additional keys to all areas of the site.

The ring sold to The Post has two keys used by official city electricians that would allow access to street lamps, along with the basement circuit-breaker boxes of just about any large building.

I guess I see why these sets exist.... But, again, wow....

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
And now with these pics anyone can have them for free! Thanks ATS

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Which one's the one that gives you access to the Penthouse at the NYC Hilton? That's the one I want, provided it's not currently taken by a customer.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Ah, the best part about setting up billion dollar security programs around the country are the old $5 ones that undermine all the new ones...

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Are they still available?

I'll take a set.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
with a bar of soap and that pic...make one!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
These are fairly easy to get. I have come across the fireman ones. Like if I wanted to, I could have stolen them.

It is a big deal, but if someone was a terrorist, they would have no problem getting them. This is bad by your everyday psycho getting hold of them.

wow.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
This would be incredibly useful for a SHTF situation. Being able to easily navigate underground without breaking through gates and doors, get into areas where supplies may be available that other people couldn't get to, etc.

There is always the fear of some BGs getting a hold of a set, but really when you think about it, it's still pretty damn easy to infiltrate anything that relies on just a simple key to open. Automatic lock picks are cheap and easily available, old school lock picking isn't terribly hard to pick up if you are motivated, and if some nefarious folks really really needed these keys and could simply break into or pick a lock they could just stalk a fireman and steal his keys, become a fireman, etc.

In other words, these keys don't really change the game for anyone seriously looking to do something bad, because they could easily accomplish their task without the keys. The only danger would be some bored kids getting their hands on them for some place to hang out and party or steal stuff. Not really a big deal there, in the grand scheme of things.

CX

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Call me a spoilsport but i'd report that kind of thing.

I love mysterious keys and the wonders that they can unlock as much as the next person, but some people really don't think before they sell things these days.

Nothing to stop anyone putting on a hi-viz jacket and a hard hat, and sticking what they like, where they like.

CX.
edit on 1/10/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

Originally posted by ezekielken

Hmmmm, I guess the few nefarious neurons I might have weren't sharp enough to see this possibility.

Of course, I'm not sure why you blame ATS?

The cat was already been let out of the bag by the MSM. In fact, I can already hear those international workshops hard at work.

Does anyone know if all major cities and municipalities have a set of keys similar to this? Who regulates this?

This is a surprising new topic for me.
edit on 1-10-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
We must ban all keys!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
In the wrong hands, such keys could cause quite a bit of trouble. I guess it's apparently legal to sell them. I admit, I am not too worried. I imagine that anyone stupid enough to buy them and then use them for illegal purposes would probably be caught and arrested fairly quickly...At least I hope.

On a similar note... Ever heard of Bump keys and lock bumping? They allow access to the majority of peoples homes.... And are legal in most places.

en.wikipedia.org...

I actually own one. I had lost the key to my old storage unit and they didn't have a copy, so I bought a bump key and used it, opened the lock right up.... I was pretty amazed at how easy it was....

I find bump keys more concerning... They are basically a burglars wet dream...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

You can have my keys when you pry them from my cold dead fingers!

Second line.
edit on 1-10-2012 by KawRider9 because: Forgot to write "second line"

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ezekielken

I was a little dubious about this, but apparently is possible, even with lesser quality images...

vision.ucsd.edu...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwontrun
with a bar of soap and that pic...make one!

Even easier with a 3D printer and the pic.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie
In the wrong hands, such keys could cause quite a bit of trouble. I guess it's apparently legal to sell them. I admit, I am not too worried. I imagine that anyone stupid enough to buy them and then use them for illegal purposes would probably be caught and arrested fairly quickly...At least I hope.

On a similar note... Ever heard of Bump keys and lock bumping? They allow access to the majority of peoples homes.... And are legal in most places.

en.wikipedia.org...

I actually own one. I had lost the key to my old storage unit and they didn't have a copy, so I bought a bump key and used it, opened the lock right up.... I was pretty amazed at how easy it was....

I find bump keys more concerning... They are basically a burglars wet dream...

For 14 dollars plus tax you can get a whole set of bumps from ace hardware.
Fortunately most criminals are stupid and prefer the break in method rather than a quiet walk in.. which is more hazardous to their health

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9
reply to post by joyride0187

You can have my keys when you pry them from my cold dead fingers!

Second line.
edit on 1-10-2012 by KawRider9 because: Forgot to write "second line"

Your right. Keys don't commit crimes, it's people with keys who commit crimes. So we should round up all the key people!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
We must ban all keys!

No, we must tax all keys and create the Department of Homeland Keys and Locks. Then we need to find someone to head the department that has only ever lived in tents, with no idea what a key is nor how to use one.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012

Originally posted by joyride0187
We must ban all keys!

No, we must tax all keys and create the Department of Homeland Keys and Locks. Then we need to find someone to head the department that has only ever lived in tents, with no idea what a key is nor how to use one.

Or someone who received their degree through a diploma mill, because then they are equally qualified. Just like one of the first higher ups at DHS...

United States Department of Homeland Security who resigned after an investigation revealed that she had obtained academic degrees from a diploma mill.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

And isnt the 1st 3d printer set to go online in nyc shortly? It'd be funny if 200 people showed up all to get those keys made!

new topics

top topics

join