It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GoDaddy taken down by Hackers... Milions without service

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Looks like hackers have struck again... Tech Crunch reports that anonymous has struck the DNS servers, web hosting and customer care... One hacker is refuting claims that it was all Anon, but it was just him, only one guy...His name is AnonymousOwn3r on twitter

On twitter its going around right now... So many people are affected by this... Damn you Anon,

According to many customers, sites hosted by major web host and domain registrar GoDaddy are down. According to the official GoDaddy Twitter account the company is aware of the issue and is working to resolve it. Update: customers are complaining that GoDaddy hosted e-mail accounts are down as well, along with GoDaddy phone service and all sites using GoDaddy’s DNS service.

Update 2: Anonymous is claiming responsibility. A member of Anonymous known as AnonymousOwn3r is claiming responsibility, and makes it clear this is not an Anonymous collective action.

When asked if he was able to take down the whole block of DNS servers? He responded with, Anonymous Own3r‏@AnonymousOwn3r @film_girl I'm taking godaddy down bacause well i'd like to test how the cyber security is safe and for more reasons that i can not talk now

twitter.com...

www.cnn.com...

Why are they attacking GoDaddy now?

techcrunch.com...
edit on 10-9-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

PLF ‏@PLF2012

@Anon_Central | In addition to supporting censorship & surveillance, the owner of GoDaddy likes to kill animals for sport. | #Anonymous #ALF
Retweeted by Anonymous Operations
View conversation

Retweet
Favorite

and

Anonymous Operations ‏@Anon_Central

By using / supporting Godaddy, you are supporting censorship of the Internet.

twitter.com...
edit on 10-9-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

So happy I moved my online store from godaddy to volusion a month ago....whew....

Des

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well I guess we know that ATS is not through GoDaddy!

Unfortunately some "OTHER" pictoral/video websites are!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by jhn7537

So happy I moved my online store from godaddy to volusion a month ago....whew....

Des

The company I work for (rather small) uses GoDaddy for email hosting, so right now, my outlook is DOWN... I laughed it off, I guess things could be worse...

I do feel for those small businesses out there who depend on their online store to do business... Not sure how hurting all these small businesses helps the 99% ????

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I wish that these hackers would cut the #!

My online business is down because of this crap. This is my source of income that I have slaved to generate. I am one of the 99%. I chose GoDaddy as a host because there was seamless cart integration...whatever. I wonder if I can hold these jerks responsible for my loss of revenue???

If someone were to illegally lock the doors to a shop owner's retail outlet, then that person would be held responsible (if caught). I had no idea that "BOB" was gonna shoot elephants or support what he supported. I just needed a web host.
Mr. Hacker,
Thanks for adding to the woes of the 99%. My wife and kids really appreciate it! So do my clients who will decide if these vulnerabilities warrant shopping somewhere other than on my site. DOUCHEBAGS!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

We had to shut off our advertising - though we still blew a few hundred this afternoon on ads before having to shut down to minimize damage since both site and email are currently down ....

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

The hacker AnonymousOwn3r states that it was done for cyber security reasons and another reason he didnt want to mention... I wonder what that "other" reason is???

I'm sorry you're going through this, with my company its just email, but for people in your position this is definitely as bad as it gets... I hope they fix this soon for you.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Just to make it clear, this isn't Anonymous, or at least it not the Anonymous group just some random dude who follows Anon, his twitter page...
twitter.com...

Tech Crunch Article
techcrunch.com...

So far it appears it's affecting sites hosted by godaddy and not domain names bought from them but this is going to be a huge impact, I generally support Anon but not sure about this as it's hitting the big guys but also the average Joe on the street, GD are without question the biggest domain/hosting company on the www.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I hope so too. Thanks for the well wishes...it really is appreciated.

No matter what the reason they give...IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
What i dont understand is how people on Twitter are congratulating this guy for what he did... How is this a good thing? Wasnt Anon formed to go after the 1%... How is hurting a bunch of small businesses doing that??

This attack just doenst make sense...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I feel you pain friend. We recently moved email to godaddy and we are dead in the water this afternoon.

Way for Anon to stick it to the little guy.

What is this movement supposed to be about?

ETA - I would give your post 1,000 stars if I could.
edit on 10-9-2012 by IceFlower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Sadly, for every person giving AnonymousOwn3r a big Congrats, you can see a post from a small business owner begging him to stop what he is doing....

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
None of it makes any sense. I had a choice to switch (hosts) about 2 months ago when I heard about all of this crap. In fact, my wife said I shouldn't be aligning my business with people who kill elephants for sport. I agreed with her and then I spoke with my web people and the cost to migrate over and find support for this kind of unique cart application that I paid 3,000 dollars for, was just too much for my budget.

What budget now?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I truly am sorry for the impact this situation is having on you and your family. If you want to put all your blame on Anon then fine but let me point out the GoDaddy apparently has security lapses that must be fixed. If you are using their shopping cart functionality then it is possible your clients/customers personal information is at risk as well.

Being in IT I recommend not putting your eggs in one basket so to speak. You always need contingency plans because there are so many possible points of failure. Hacking is just one of many ways your system can go down. All devices connected to the internet are vulnerable to some degree.

In my opinion, GoDaddy has let you down and Anon just took advantage.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

The dimwits that make up this group can think no farther than their own nose.

They think they are "sticking it" to the "big corporations".

By doing so, they are destroying small business in the process.

But take heart, they are really proud of themselves - and we should be too.

By destroying our small businesses - they have struck a mighty blow to the 1%. (NOT)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

Now is not the time for your "holier than thou" IT pile of ...........

Go back to your corporate cubicle and remain safe - while the rest of us deal with real life.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by IceFlower
reply to post by jhn7537

The dimwits that make up this group can think no farther than their own nose.

They think they are "sticking it" to the "big corporations".

By doing so, they are destroying small business in the process.

But take heart, they are really proud of themselves - and we should be too.

By destroying our small businesses - they have struck a mighty blow to the 1%. (NOT)

“You should only believe half of what you see, and none of which you hear”

Someone Tweeting they are responsible? Wow, yeah I believe him, (not).

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by IceFlower
reply to post by fenceSitter

Now is not the time for your "holier than thou" IT pile of ...........

Go back to your corporate cubicle and remain safe - while the rest of us deal with real life.

I don't sit in a corporate cubicle. I am part of a small IT business and if our systems go down it is my responsibility so I feel everyone's pain. I have absolutely no 'holier than thou' attitude and I resent your quick judgement.

Maybe it is 'too soon' to point out this issue but once your systems are back online, don't forget this incident or you run the risk of going through it all over again.
edit on 10-9-2012 by fenceSitter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Seems to be some practice/experimenting for something bigger IMO.

I remember reading a while back how they wanted to attack the root DNS servers to try and take down the entire network.

Hopefully they do not accomplish that goal!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join