It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, Ron Paul is out... Write-in? Wasted vote? What's the plan?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I guess it's not a surprise really. But with Ron Paul officially nixing the possibility of a third-party run in November we seem to be faced with a decision. For those of us who are not numbered among the Koolaide guzzling morons that STILL believe that either the Republicans or Democrats can/will 'fix' the problems in the country, what are we going to do?

It should be painfully, abundantly and unquestionably clear (by now) that simply caving and voting for either of the annointed candidates is just going to continue business-as-usual. It only decides whose friends get to loot the country and suckle the government teat for the next 4yrs. We don't have time for that anymore.

We could simply not vote but IMHO that accomplishes nothing. It will be written-off as 'low voter turnout' and not an indictment on the system as some believe.

We could write-in Ron Paul (or someone else) but that seems to be faced with huge obstacles as far as getting the votes counted goes.

We could all just scatter our votes over the myriad of third-party candidates offered.

Or we could get behind one third-party candidate in sufficient volume to get noticed.

There is alot of focus right now within the MSM of how polls show that people are not behind either candidate. If we could get a large enough vote for one third-party candidate to get noticed it would at least send a message that would be unmistakable.

Suggestions? What are our best options?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I am writing him in or voting for Gary Johnson. I am a little up in the air about it atm.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
You wont get a third party win this election period.

BUT if enough people vote either write in RP or third party vote, it would show the attitude of americans shifting.

It wont do anything now, but in the following election if enough people see that many made an effort to not vote DEM or REP it could give a third party, or a RP run for 2016 a real push.

Its not about winning at this point, its about principle and making a statement to them that we do not buy into their Divisive BS.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I will write in Ron Paul.

Beware of your State rules. Not all States allow write in votes. Mine does.

Write in vote Map of States

edit on 5-9-2012 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
I will write in Ron Paul.

Beware of your State rules. Not all States allow write in votes. Mine does.

In states that don't I would suggest ANY third party candidate, if enough people do that it would show that the TWO party system does not have the PEOPLES mandate anymore.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That is my plan too. It is important that the liberation movement makes this statement officially at the poles.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

That's my point. Write-in is blocked in some states so for me, going that route is wasted. No, the chances of winning are infinitesimal to be sure, but if we were able to show some degree of unity in what would clearly be seen as an anti-Rep/Dem statement it would get noticed. I don't believe write-ins would get counted.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I hereby declare that today is the official "Leave the Major Political Parties Day"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Who's with me?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ron Paul always seems to do this. It frustrated me to no end last cycle. Just when he had the most influence, he completely squanders it and walks away. This year, he once again made folks hopeful that this time could be different. He raised a LOT of money from people for whom donating to a candidate means doing without something else, but they felt that liberty was worth it. Nut then, nothing. No endorsement of anyone else, no plans to fight back from the rampant fraud and abuse suffered at the hands of his own party. Nothing, He just took the pummeling, shrugged and walked away....again.

I have come to the conclusion that Ron Paul cares more for the two party duopoly system than he does for liberty. This is ironic since he best articulates that they are the same. So why the heck not take his support elsewhere and raise up another viable party to supplant one of the other two? I personally think many people (non zealot conservatives and socially laissez-faire) could earn more support than the ever narrowing party that once was the Republican party.

It is time for Paulians to move on. Ron Paul, a decent and principled man, just never had the fire the take things to the logical next step of creating a new party that could challenge the other two. He could have done in 3, maybe even 2 cycles, but instead he chose to stay within a party that insults him, toys with him, ridicules him, etc.

And for God's sake, Rand is his biological heir, but in no way shape or form is he his political heir.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

I couldn't agree more. I wrote-in RP in '08 without hesitation. But this year, after the bald-faced fraud perpetrated by the RNC, I expected him to mke a stand of some kind. Time to move on.

Somehow we need to translate that solidarity. Just read through the thread and already you can see the fracture and dilution of our sentiment. We're all trying to send the same message but we won't get it done this way. One thing I'm seriously considering is to make a sign that reads: 'They ALL Lie Vote Third Party While There Is Still Time' and stand at my polling station with it on election day.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I would be on board with writing him in IF it was going to amount to something..Truth is, many states don't even allow it. My state, for example, makes it very difficult and chances are it wouldn't be approved anyway. At this point writing him in really does seem pretty useless.

I will be voting for Gary Johnson since he's the only candidate with the same principles on the ballot in all 50 states.

With that said, I can't even describe how good it felt leaving the GOP and registering as a 3rd party Libertarian.

Everyone also needs to keep in mind that if you are switching to 3rd party, make sure you register before the deadline! For example, in Colorado the deadline is Oct 9th.
edit on 5-9-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is not intended as advice for anyone else but merely a statement of my intent at the moment, subject to possible change as usual. I will vote for Gary Johnson.

I have no intent what so ever to vote for either Obama and especially not for Romney. I view either one of these candidates as authoritarian and intent on stripping away whatever privileges, options, and privacies still remaining to Americans.

In whatever event, I will continue to protect those privileges, options, and privacies to the best of my ability and will continue struggling to regain those that have been lost or stripped away. I will continue to expose the corruptions that exist within our systems that seek to limit our options and privacies.

edit on 5-9-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Gary Johnson is the logical choice since most of his stances on the issues are just like Paul's. He's on the ballot in all 50 states and he is what the son of Ron Paul SHOULD be like not a sellout who endorses Romney to further his political career.

THE PEOPLE'S PRESIDENT
edit on 5-9-2012 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Gary Johnson.

I was voting Libertarian anyway so it's not an alternative plan, it was the plan all along.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
After reading the Libertarian party platform, I find myself in support of all provisions except:

3.4 Free Trade and Migration
We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape
from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the
crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human
as well as financial capital across national borders. However, we support control over the entry into
our country of foreign nationals who pose a credible threat to security, health or property.
All illegal immigrants need to be rounded up and sent home. They should be given 30-90 days to "self deport" after which they should be forcibly detained and removed with all goods/property confiscated to pay for the cost of said removal. All monies of foreign governments located within the US should be held pending use to deport their nationals illegally residing in the US.

I can support this:

1.4 Abortion
Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides,
we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for
their conscientious consideration.
As long as no government subsidies whether direct or indirect are used for abortions. I believe abortion is murder, and I should not be expected to help pay for those murders.

I can accept this:

1.3 Personal Relationships
Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the
government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption,
immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or
restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices
and personal relationships.
Except that I completely oppose homosexuals serving in the military. I would not want to live in close quarters or share group showers with homosexuals and it is wrong to force members of the military to do so.

With the above caveats, I could easily support the Libertarian party.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Ross
Perot

Wasted
Vote

We can't afford to waste away a critical election...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Section 3.4 is primarily to allow American Citizens to travel abroad for business, not an open ticket to illegal immigration. If you note, there is a clause allowing for restricting foreign nationals...

Section 1.4 is what it is. It is Pro-choice. It is not the place of the Government to be involved in these decisions, period. How it is paid for is entirely irrelevant. After Obamacare kicks in, it will be Insurance companies paying for, not your tax dollars.

Section 1.3 is also what it is. It is not the place of any Government institution of ANY type to even recognize Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity. Whether it's the IRS or the Military...again...irrelevant. Libetarians are for FREEDOM without restraints...

I do not care how people earn their money. I do not care what people do in their own home. I do not care who or what "turns them on"...it is none of my business...and I expect the same consideration in return...what I do and how I live is no one's business as well.

Perhaps this party is more to your liking then... The Constitution Party Platform

edit on 5-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: Quoting format is not working

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

For me the Constitution Party is way too Christian fundamentalist for my liking. On the one hand they espouse Constitutional liberties and then wrap them in Christian dogmatic restraints. Doesn't work for me.

edit on 5-9-2012 by jtma508 because: cause I type like crap

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm voting for Gary Johnson. He's the most compatible with my own ideals though I don't agree with some. I refuse to vote for the 2 that the msn and tptb want us to. That will just lead to the same crap but worse and that's what they want to happen.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
i'am voting for the guy who has no chance at all at winning.

genius.

how about we vote obama out of office.

or should we let a tyrant retain his position of power.

vote romny [SNIP]
edit on 9/6/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join