It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I have posted replies to the two debates I am currently in:

Catholic Church

Iranian nuclear weapons

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

OMG, you are in two debates at once? How did I miss that?

Aside: I wondered with The Vagabond way back, (I'm sure a diligent person could find the particular post I am referring to) whether someone could handle two debates at once. I said with no time limits, it's feasible. The result remains unknown.

So tell us, what's the feasibility? Of course, finish your debates before responding, but let us know. I'm interested in knowing the results, especially with the new parameters.

What's your opinion of three posts per debate?

My opinion: A seasoned debater can handle more than one debate at a time, but make it a two debate at a time limit, else, insanity.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
So tell us, what's the feasibility? Of course, finish your debates before responding, but let us know. I'm interested in knowing the results, especially with the new parameters.

It's not too bad, though I think that the quality of my research is probably hindered a bit by having to juggle two disparate topics in my mind. But, so long as there is no time limit (well, within reason,) I think its manageable.

What's your opinion of three posts per debate?

Makes it more difficult, particularly on a complex issue. I don't know where we are, as regards Socratic questions, but I've let that notion drop, because of the shorter nature of the debate.

My opinion: A seasoned debater can handle more than one debate at a time, but make it a two debate at a time limit, else, insanity.

Agreed -- two are good, but I'm no Bobby-Frickin'-Fischer, lol

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I've read your answers, and kudos for the honesty. The mods have read as well, or will, in due time.

I feel I could handle two debates, but that was before the rule changes. For now, with three posts, I'm content to handle one at a time, unless I get a slow opponent.

The possible lag of opponents is the deciding factor. Mods can see the diff between active members and occasional members, and decide accordingly. With no time limits, there really doesn't seem to be a problem.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Looking for a sparring partner myself.

I'm away for a few days, but when I get back, I'd love to have a debate with someone, not sure what subject just yet, bull free to u2u me some suggestions. Those who know me , know what forums and topics I engage in, otherwise surprise me.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
My second reply in the Gun Debate is up.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
All the new Debates thus far are really, really good reading. I`ll be using them as references in posts. Keep up the great work.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
ATTENTION DEBATERS AND DEBATE READERS!

JUDGES NEEDED! APPLY WITHIN!

As we labor to bring this entertaining, enjoyable, and educational forum back to life, headed towards new heights, we are having some slight growing pains and we are asking for help from the ATS family!

We need volunteers to judge debates! If you are a debater, with fighter status - we ask that you still consider being a judge for debates that you are not participating in. If you are a lurker who loves reading the debates? We'd love to hear from you as well! Being a judge is painless and easy!

If interested, please U2U myself, or any other debate mod, letting us know that you are willing. We will never message you telling you that you are judging - we always ask and understand that folks sometimes have other interests or things going on.

Helping out is a great way to give a bit back to your fellow ATS members!

Thanks in advance to all those who decide to give this a shot!

~Heff
edit on 9/7/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
A few guidelines on Judging Debates

* Please assume a neutral attitude while judging a Debate. Rather than judging by your own opinions, judge by who was better at making their case.

* Please do not submit a minimal judgement of one or two lines. Make it at least a paragraph

* Do not reveal that you will judge or have judged a debate and do not post your judgement anywhere. Send it instead to the Moderator who invited you to judge a debate. Judgments will be posted by a Moderator.

* If you receive an invitation to judge, its OK to decline. Only agree if you really have the time to write a judgment.

* Do not submit "its a tie" but make a choice on who won the debate, even if its close. A tie is only in place if both judges vote for different winners.

* Be mindful of the trust the debaters place in judges to really read and understand the debates.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Just a note to inform interested parties that I have completed my last argument on the "Iran should be allowed to develop nuclear weapons"thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Care to give your opinion on the three post rule for debates? Having run the gamut, you are qualified to respond. Myself, I am reserving judgment, as 3 post debates are challenging. The protocol has it's merit.

Your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Just a note to inform interested parties that I have completed my last argument on the "Iran should be allowed to develop nuclear weapons"thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And my final post has been made, let the judging begin!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Is there any debate partner for this request by mr-lizard out there? If so, say hi.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I'm up for my first debate!
New fighter status.

While you are gone, I will see what you are about and into...possibly, we might share some common interests in subject matter and can debate one.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I just did!

I'm looking forward to debating! I'd been thinking about it for a long time...literally years.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

You've been here long enough. We are both 2005ers. Welcome to the Debate Forum.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Alright, who is going to send me a debate request! I am ready to anyone on any philosophical topics, psychological, sociological, biological and anything really... Let me know. Been away for a while, but if anyone is willing. I am ready.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Is there any debate partner for this request by mr-lizard out there? If so, say hi.

I'd love to.......can't think of a good topic that hasn't already been beaten to death.

Any ideas, Mr Lizard?

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Fighters ready for debates:

mr-lizard
seabag
TheMythLives
queenannie38

Looking forward to the games.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Anyone interested in a debate regarding the Auschwitz concentration camp?

I am still looking for ideas and Auschwitz is a topic I have researched quite a bit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join