It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 MILLION accounts leaked in megahack on banks, websites

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

1 MILLION accounts leaked in megahack on banks, websites

www.theregister.co.uk

Hacker collective Team GhostShell leaked a cache of more than one million user account records from 100 websites over the weekend.

The group, which is affiliated with hacktivists Anonymous, claimed they broke into databases maintained by banks, US government agencies and consultancy firms to leak passwords and documents. Some of the pinched data includes credit histories from banks among other files, many of which were lifted from content management systems. Some of the breached databases each contained more than 30,000 records.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Not sure if this is a record or not.

Of course, the next step is to criminalize applied knowledge of computer technology.

Team GhostShell said the online leaks, which are part of its Project Hellfire campaign, were made in protest against banks and in revenge for the rounding up of hacktivists by cops and government agents.

The team said it worked with other hacking crews, MidasBank and OphiusLab, on the attacks - and claims to have accessed a Chinese technology vendor’s mainframe, a US stock exchange and the Department of Homeland Security. It plans to offer access to these compromised systems to hackers who have the chops to handle them.

In a statement, the group threatened to carry out further attacks, leak more sensitive data and generally unleash hell.

“All aboard the Smoke & Flames Train, Last stop, Hell," Team GhostShell wrote. "Two more projects are still scheduled for this fall and winter. It's only the beginning."

Team GhostShell is lead by self-proclaimed black hat hacker DeadMellox

Perhaps someone can explain to me why the name of the self-proclaimed leader of Team Ghost is a registered trademark?

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I dunno. But I'm sure glad I cash all my checks instead of depositing them in he bank. I save money and I have peace of mind that once my cash is in fact cold hard cash no bank can take it away or screw with it. I would much rather take the risks of having that cash hidden away in my apartment, then let it get abused in a bank.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Hey if anyone wants a look through the list, there are a few sites you can go to *cough* one has bay in the name *cough* *cough* Pretty cool list actually and there are some FAMILIAR names on it

oh and from what I've heard there's more to come..

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce
Hey if anyone wants a look through the list, there are a few sites you can go to *cough* one has bay in the name *cough* *cough* Pretty cool list actually and there are some FAMILIAR names on it

oh and from what I've heard there's more to come..

Are you encouraging ATS members to access private citizens stolen personal information?

Bad form.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don't give a rat's ass how they justify this crap. Contrary to popular belief it seems, but fully agreeable with common frickin' sense, the end does NOT justify the means! Whatever supposed 'cause' these retards are for, whatever they are protesting, does NOT justify hacking into and putting people's account information out in the open like this.

These people are criminals, and they should be persecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and then thrown in Gitmo to rot.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
With all of this hacking going rampant all over the world and still organizations and gumment entities want us all to go paperless...Direct deposit...
Just use your visa or mastercard off of your checking account...
Imagine all of the financial chaos that would be created on a regular family that lives from paycheck to paycheck.
And yes, it can happen to you.
Your creditors "the banks" will not care about a "misunderstanding" when they come to repo your property.
Do people not realize that a hacker could break you by simply removing some 0's??
I'll keep my fiat paper until it is no longer accepted for anything more than toilet paper.
DUMP YOUR BANK!!!
WE can LIVE without them, they cannot survive without us.

(Edit)
To be clear, I'm not convinced that this was just "some" hacker group at all.
edit on 28-8-2012 by g146541 because: some hackers...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Nope, but it's leaked and out there, and if anyone wants to view the information they should have the right too,not my fault that these morons thought their accounts were safe

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There is the possibility that what they say they did and what they did are two different things.

edit on 8/28/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

These people are criminals, and they should be persecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and then thrown in Gitmo to rot.

Why? If you know how to make up a good password and you aren't stupid on the internet, you WILL have nothing to worry about...

Sometimes a good hack is just a lesson to be taught, that we rely on technology so much, and put trust into computers, even though it only takes a bit of know how to screw it all up.
Oh and if they should all be put in jail, than so too should the bloody Government, because guess what? they hack as well.....

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

There's no doubt that what they are doing is criminal. I fully expect there will be uncomfortable consequences for some. Unfortunately there is such a powerful sentiment against the large-scale financial activities of the major banks and corporations that many seem to not care about the illegality of what they are doing.

Sadly, I find myself repeatedly telling those who look upon things like this with schadenfreude or malicious glee that their sense of justice relies upon a relative judgment. If it were happening to them they would be pitching a fit and crying for the authorities to do something.

Of course, since our community is sensitive to the conspiratorial mind-set, we have to acknowledge that 'little people' don't seem to get the robust protection and response from the authorities that banks do.

I found it more than a little interesting that the press-release talks about them taking advantage of 'specifically' Chinese hardware. I find myself wondering is that means that the 'special' back-doors which these foreign manufacturers are rumored to have placed in there products are being 'shared.'

But I do agree wholeheartedly that the ends rarely - if ever - justify the means when the action is clearly something that could hurt a lot of innocent bystanders...

Does who I bank with damn me? Should it? We have a fairly specific regulatory process that is supposed to protect us against the abuse of a banking authority.... does that include the understanding that banks and other 'financial service' organizations should be more secure with the property of others?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Thats true, but this time they really did do it.

Man I still can't get over all the people who are against hacking...It's very rare when a real hacker goes after a normal personal citizens info (except in cases of revenge or just to be an ass) Most attacks are done to the government and corps and let's face it, this gov deserves it all, I mean hell this is the same gov that will hack and track into your daily life if you are a "suspected terrorist"

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarIce

So you're saying the defining border between "legal" and "illegal" should be the quality of my password?

What they are doing is illegal, and it is hurting innocent people. End of story.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I understand this was not directed at me but you comment

If it were happening to them they would be pitching a fit and crying for the authorities to do something.

AGAIN most hack attacks that are done on a large scale are to show that personal info and important data is and will never be safe on computers, with that said if you are worried of being hacked, keep a long good password (numbers and letters) and do not use the same password for more than one account..

Also I promise if you don't piss someone off on the Internet you won't be a vic of a hack, unless you just have terrible luck.

I find myself wondering is that means that the 'special' back-doors which these foreign manufacturers are rumored to have placed in there products are being 'shared.'

Now this right here, alot of software has back doors in it, in fact I bet 98% of all you who posted on on windows, well you more then likely have a back door on your machine and dont even know it..oh and that anti-virus software you have is pointless and useless.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
So if a person can make a key to your front door it is OK for them to enter, browse around, take a few items?

We are all going to be inconvenienced, at the least, due to these activities on the net. Big brother will be making changes.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

huh?
I don't care about what the law says, I'll do WHAT I BELIEVE IS RIGHT.. my point is if you have a good password you won't fall victim to a hack..I would SQL Inject a government site anyday, but I would never do the same to ATS, or anyone else site.

innocent people? bahahaha bankers are far from innocent

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Big brother will indeed be making changes, but there is always a way around their silly tactics.. oh and if anyone wants to make a key to my home be my guess, but you gotta make friends with my Presa Canario first

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Hacker collective Team GhostShell leaked a cache of more than one million user account records from 100 websites over the weekend.

Are you going to tell me that each of those one million people were evil bankers and supervillains?

Furthermore, what gives you the right to decide who is good and who is evil? Putting yourself above the law and acting outside it to pursue your definition of justice does not make you some kind of revolutionary hero, it only makes you a misguided vigilante with dillusions of grandeur.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Putting yourself above the law and acting outside it to pursue your definition of justice does not make you some kind of revolutionary hero, it only makes you a misguided vigilante with dillusions of grandeur.
reply to post by Gauss

lol..so I guess you've never broken a law before? Maybe there was a time you had to piss bad and decided to go behind a tree, you know that's illegal right? or maybe you ran a red light because no one was around and you were in a hurrry? hmm illegal again, so yeah unless you are 100% guilty free of not breaking even the tiniest little law, dont judge someone else for breaking what they consider stupid laws.

Also good or bad? I KNOW some of the effing people involved in this raid, some of which support families and have very good reasons to do the attacks, do you even know why the bloody attacks were done?! Here go ahead I'll wait for you to post what the media wants you to BELIEVE......

And when did I ever say I wanted to be a revolutionary hero? Also it's grandiose delusions, or delusions of grandeur which is kinda a personal attack as you dont even know me...
edit on 28-8-2012 by SolarIce because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I don't dispute that the targets of these groups are mostly institutional. But I feel it's like lynch-party justice.

All we know of the genuinely despicable stuff that is done via those institutions we learn from some questionable sources no? The media tells us of the shenanigans, a few whistle-blowers try to tell us... and then the outrage is pumped up by the disaffected.

Those who can use their skills and connections to do damage "in the name of justice." Here's the rub... whose justice is that? What do they know that we don't? How can we be certain that this isn't a case of one institution backing hackers to inflict damage so they can pick up the pieces? How can we be certain that when the justice is done, some poor slobs working in lower management don't have their lives destroyed because they believed the pablum PR the company they work for tells them is true?

I don't condone mob justice. And that is exactly what this is. They are judge - jury - and executioner.

As a race of beings, we have almost universally come to recognize that justice must be a system with mechanisms for what is morally right to overcome flash judgements and overkill.

In a world where some group who has been stoked into some kind of 'righteous delusion of morality' doesn't unilaterally destroy the privacy and security of others.... I mean it's not like they explain themselves beyond... "we're getting back at the corporate fat-cats and evil bankers." Even if they are evil and greedy, and deserve punishment... does the same fate have to be delivered to all their clients and people who were innocently using their services?

I find it particularly troubling when I think about how the bankers and mega-corporations make US pay for these things... they use our tax-payer funded law enforcement, they restrict our services, they charge us more, and they usually would rather screw us than have their profit margin affected.

Just because I agree that something must be done, doesn't mean I accept that what they are doing is the right thing. It would be like going back in time and killing all the German people to prevent the Holocaust. Of course, all of this would be different if it were a transparent system of justice... and not some hidden people 'deciding' that the pain they will inflect 'teaches a lesson' to someone. It won't. They will simply enlist our servants to fight them and make us pay.... it's too late for the kind of justice they want to deliver.... they want to deliver revenge in "our" name.... But they will not be restoring what we've lost, they will not be fixing what's wrong, and the targets of their angst will fight back by hurting us all.... while most of them get away...
edit on 28-8-2012 by Maxmars because: cant spell

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join