It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Book of the Month Club v2.0

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Thanks!

The ATS Book Club should be a little different. When I think of a book club, the first thought is of Oprah and I didn't want a bombastic personality dictating what is good and what isn't.

There are so many smart, educated people here that I envision our club running parallel instead of in series.

Multiple books, multiple discussions, and the end result? A total greater than the sum of its parts.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hey folks, are any of you interested in doing the classics?

I'd recommend Taylor Caldwell Captains and the Kings

I read it a couple of years ago (again), and it is exquisitely timely and appropriate for the state of our country/world now.
Anyone else?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

True, but lest we forget, too much information to digest can be information overload, and we don't want members getting hurt with a breakdown
or at the very least fail to discuss even one book because they have an amalgamation of plots going through their heads.

Maybe we should limit the number of books members should read simultaneously. Not dictating to them, but just as a guide line. Great in depth discussions can be had on one book, I'd hate to see just a one liner one each book.

But, yes if strong readers want to read multiple books then I say go for it.

edit on 31-8-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I think it should be just one book a month. That's the way book clubs usually work. Everyone who is interested votes on what they want to read. If they don't want to read the book, there's always next month. And if nothing else, they might find something on the list they'll read anyway. And let people vote for as many books as they want. It should work out. No one will be forced to read anything.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I agree with one book a month. If there are lots of books being read by lots of people it could get pretty confusing in here. If one month seems like too much it could always be shortened.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hi folks, working on the list! That darn family thing going on, but I am getting it together!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Here are the picks so far. I would like to thank those who submitted and are participating. Humble apologies for the delay.

World War Z
Max Brooks

No Easy Day
Mark Owen

The Dog Stars
Peter Heller

Hive
Tim Curran

Mythago Wood
Robert Holdstock

Little, Big
John Crowley

American Tabloid
James Ellroy

Serpent in Paradise
Dea Birkett

Fingerprint's of the Gods
Graham Hancock.

Atlas shrugged
Ayn Rand

A Nation Of Sheep
William J Lederer

Galapagos
Kurt Vonnegut

'___': The Spirit Molecule
Rick Strassman

Song of Kali
Dan Simmons

"Genocidal Organ"
translated by Edwin Hawkes

This Dark Earth
John Hornor Jacobs.

Captains and the Kings
Taylor Caldwell

This is the list. It's mixed right now, don't have it broken down by genre, but the members who suggested them do have links.

Voting is open now, to take your time and enjoy.

Remember, check your library before breaking out the VISA card. Thanks again for the suggestions.

beez

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Assuming we will just vote here .... I am going to vote for Galapagos and The Dog Stars.

Thanks Beez.
edit on 3-9-2012 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I am about to read this if anyone else is interested. The author has made it a FREE PDF DOWNLOAD

What's New with Bonnie the Alien Abductee FREE PDF BOOK
or
FREE pdf file of Invitation to the Self; journey with the star people

Invitation to the Self; journey with the star people is a combination autobiography of a life-long contactee and a self-help guide for alien abductees. It took years of recording my experiences and then analyzing the data to create a document that could be easily understood. My goal is to spread the truth about the alien abduction phenomenon and help those who experience it. Learn about aliens, their methods of abduction, alternate dimensions and realities, military psychics, government involvement, and how to deal with it all. "In Invitation to the Self, Bonnie Jean Mitchell (formerly Bonnie Jean Hamilton) explains how to face your fears and take control of alien visitations. If you are an abductee who feels like a helpless victim, get ready for a change. You will journey through the typical abduction experience, the secret government and psychic attackers, the transitional phase of moving from one reality to another, energy manipulation, and finally, releasing fear and taking control of life. No matter what your interests may be (abductee, contactee, or simply bewildered by the whole thing), you will be motivated to

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Are we voting for which book to start with? I'm with the others regarding reading the same book at the same time, then having the discussion.

I vote for The dog stars first, then Galapagos,

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I vote for Dog Stars and Galapagos as well

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DustbowlDebutante
I vote for Dog Stars and Galapagos as well

Yea why not. I'll start with any one.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Dog Stars and Galapagos for me as well.

(wll check out library first!)
edit on 4-9-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
So, how much longer on the voting? Maybe til Friday?

Can you tell I'm anxious to get started?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
My library didnt have The Dog Stars so I am going to have to order it. Might be getting a late jump on it and based on some of the comments here, some of you might be done with it by the time I get it. No worries ... I go at my pace and wont check back into the conversation to avoid spoilers.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

That's why I asked about the voting and such. I haven't ordered them either, because I'm hoping we can all start at roughly the same time.

I just am excited about this, and think it is a great idea and can't wait to start.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I think it's pretty clear, those that have the books can start whenever they want. Different ordering times, different reading speeds, really, the sooner the better.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thanks Beezzer!!!!
I'm on it, LOL
edit on 5-9-2012 by chiefsmom because: sp

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Okay, so I ordered The Dog Stars and it should arrive on Saturday. Should I go ahead and start reading it? When will we begin discussion?

I was just wondering because I read somewhat fast (not uncommon for me to devour an average-sized book in one day if it's the weekend), and I don't want to jump the gun next week and spoil any of the book for anyone else.

Will we go thru chapter by chapter, or will we discuss once everyone has actually finished the book?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DustbowlDebutante

Mine wont arrive until Monday or Tuesday!

I'm with you on the reading schedule, if it's good, a day. So then what? Don't want to spoil anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join