It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Electric Transmission Towers Sabotaged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Authorities in the Milwaukee area searching for clues to who could have removed bolts that held two 80-foot electric transmission lines secured to the ground. The two towers fell over Saturday evening, and cut off power to the Milwaukee airport, and 17,000 other consumers. Authorities are not saying that this is an act of terrorism, but they did mention that the average person would not have know it was a power line that supplied electricity to the Milwaukee airport.

USA Today - Two transmission towers intentionally knocked over
As federal agents scoured the area where two 80-foot transmission towers toppled over the weekend, the company that owns them offered a $10,000 reward Monday for information about the person who tampered with them. Oak Creek Police Chief Thomas Bauer said bolts had been removed from the base of at least one of the towers before they fell over Saturday evening, cutting power to 17,000 customers, including Milwaukee's airport.

The outage shut down screening equipment at the airport Saturday night and flights were delayed as passengers and luggage was hand screened, said Pat Rowe, airport spokeswoman. Downed wires lay across the railroad tracks for much of the day Sunday, putting passenger and freight trains from Amtrak and Canadian Pacific Railroad on hold for 26 hours, Bauer said. The trains resumed at 7 p.m. Sunday, after authorities cut the wires.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

America is dependent on energy. This was very made very obvious during the large blackout in 2003 that plunged much of the east-coast into darkness, and even brought New York City to a grinding halt. Sabotaging the electricity grid seems a relatively easy task. Transmission lines span miles of uninhabited area, and companies do not have the manpower to inspect transmission towers more than once a year. What can be done about this threat? The only tools needed to carry out this plan, can be found in any hardware store across the country.

[edit on 12-10-2004 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Sounds Like a Recon mission to me, Or very very suspect that it took out the aiport and screening. Like What will happen and how will they react to this, will this give them an opeing to get hijack a plane. Has it already?

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This could have also been a setup mission. Taking out the power to a major airport weakens the security infrastructure there, possibly allowing front line agents to place assets in areas which would normally have video camera or key card security coverage.

For all we know this could be the terrorist version of stuffing a revolver behind a toilet for Michael Corleone. If we see hijackings where the hijackers are armed with weapons that could not have made it through security in Milwaukee, then we'll know.

Might be a little late then, though.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What if the weapon was transfered to another airport? There's no screening when you arrive from someplace, its only when you board the plane that it happens. So, what if the weapon was transfered to another airport for use of a more bigger target?

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Why do I see a cheese land version of Bevis and Butthead?

CHEDDIS: Heh, heh, heh, Heh, heh, heh, Heh, heh, heh, Heh, heh, heh, Heh, heh, heh,

BRATHEAD: Hey Cheddis, watch me loosen this nut!

CHEDDIS: Heh, heh, You said nut. heh heh

BRATHEAD: heh , heh, heh

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I ran a search to ascertain wether other news agencies picked up on this occurence, they did not. Nothing in print, voice or video. This is very disturbing and I feel this is not an isolated incident.
The Milwaukee area is awash with Muslims and illegal aliens which makes it a natural spawning ground for terrorist. The enemy within walks amongst us and our own government is allowing this to happen in the name of civil liberties.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Posible suspects ranked in order:

1. A disgruntled (ex ?) employee.

2. Some drunken idiot, who �Just wanted to see if I could make them fall over.�

3. A disgruntled Brewer�s fan (just kidding).

4. A disgruntled �activist� of some sort.

5. A terrorist.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Imagine 'first responders' trying to move about a city from situation to situation when the streets are flooded with people stumbling around in the dark trying to get home. Yikes.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yeah, it kind of makes you wonder how they handle it when there is a hurricane, a tornado, or an earthquake.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
i wonder if somebody missed their cue? like this was supposed to be a bigger(and more politically convenient of course) 'terror' attack, but someones alarm clock didn't go off or something.

if people want to be scared, they should be very afraid. it is SO simple to wreak havoc on a society which is built on trust and goodwill, as evidenced by this event.
i don't want to give any idiots ideas about ways to do it, but i could probably think of hundreds of them that would put the 'perp' at minimal risk.

911's alleged weapon of choice, ......boxcutters.
this event, .....a wrench and a sledghammer, or perhaps a hand held torch. or boltcutters.

it is clear to me that ALL people must be kept stripped naked and put into pens for the cause of maintaining america's freedom.

expect more crap like this to lead up to the 'election'. you know, when the voting machines keep bush in power?
voting machines! haha! that's gotta be like an oxymoron or something.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if it were Homeland Security that did it just so they can could cry foul and that they didn't have enough power (no pun intended.. well, maybeeee
) to stop this from happening, so they can gain even more police power. If we would just round up and deport all of our middle eastern population, we could be somewhat better off... Why can't we discriminate against our enemies? Just kick them out and after things cool down, perhaps let them back in under tougher screening. Our government is targeting americans more than it is foreigners! How stupid are they?! But of course the American Communist Lawyers Union (ACLU) would cry foul if we DARED discriminate against the people from the countries we are fighting... They would sue the government into oblivion. THe only thing I am worried about, is a police state, which already exists, just not so much up here... You know, in a town of like 2000, or 1000, i forget now... UP by the canadian border... There were about 30 Border Patrol rigs stationed. They are figuring something is going on I guess... Terrorist is a relative term... Innocent americans can easily be included in this group... This world is gone to hell in a handbasket.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I live in the Milwaukee area and heard the main radio station WTMJ discussing the incident. They had more info that never made it to the national news.....

They found other towers that had the bolts and nuts loosened on them. They said the nuts were taken off and then put back on "finger tight only"
(maybe making them ready for "fast" downing?") They also found gloves with "GB" on them. Dna testing is now under way.

Hope this is just some punks fooling around, but I doubt it. Sigh...

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I can imagine someone who is in the energy infrastructure industry and has been for decades is thinking to him/herself:

"Back in the 60's and 70's when we were designing these new towers and transmission lines and routes, we should have just kicked in the extra $1/bolt for the locking variety that requires a $60,000 tool that can only be purchased with an infrastructure maintenance license. It's going to cost $50/bolt now to have all the towers retrofitted. Whoops!"

[edit on 14-10-2004 by chaosrain]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
god chaos how did you find that out ??/

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone
god chaos how did you find that out ??/

Sorry...I'll edit my post to indicate that the quote it hypothetical. Wouldn't be surprised if it's true, though.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Didn't the Assam tape say the people would mourn in silence? When we heard about this our first thought was....No power and then no communication. Is there a way to take out power and/or communication systems all over the country? If there was no way to communicate would this be cause for martial law?

top topics

join