It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all "Fighters", a new debate series.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The staff has worked out a new set of parameters for the debate forum, posted HERE, in BBQ.

Go read the rules, then decide if you want to participate. We are looking for new "Fighters", people who wish to debate a specific topic, but are left wondering how it all works. Your "Fighter" status looks real handy on your avatar if you are looking for street cred.

Other than that, there are people on ATS that enjoy a civil discussion, and the debate forum helps to hone those conversational skills. Research, clarity, and expression are all conjugative skills you will learn and sharpen as you participate in this restricted forum.

Now, this thread is completely open to discuss all aspects of the debate forum, and to elicit debate challenges.

Who wants to debate who, and what is the topic? It can be anything, but to get things rolling, I'd suggest the popular topics on ATS.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
We have names!

The mod list for debate approval: You must send a u2u to any of these mods before you create your debate thread. Once they approve, a debate is on!

We'll have a list of staff you can pm to get approval for the debate. Right now, and this again is flexible, some may come and go as their time permits, it is myself, GAOTU789, Hefficide, Skyfloating, Semperfortis, xpert11, and tothetenthpower. Any of those will do.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Just a wee bump! This is a great oppourtunity for all members to take another look at a past-neglected forum.

(plus, I hear Druid made cookies!)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
White chocolate macademias. Only for the purest in heart.

Honestly, I made this thread a bit prematurely. OOPS.

(However it doesn't violate the T&Cs, so it should stick.)

The mods should post the new "rule" thread, and this one can focus on debate creation. Or nix it. I was really happy tonight to read about the staff solutions to the Debate Forum. I'm going with the flow, abiding by and testing new parameters, as this is a structured forum and rules are imperative here.

Ideas are flowing, with a base set set down by staff, and we go from there. It's more about working out details with staff than it is to ***poof*** and have a perfectly working forum.

The staff, once again, is amazing.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Just wanted to get peoples attention. The debate forum is reving up again.

Let any mod or us debate geeks know if you're interested.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'm interested. Got my arse kicked in my one and only debate, so I'm looking for redemption!

I don't care about the topic, just make sure I get the winning side of it this time, LOL!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hey beez, care to do the death penalty debate? I'll take either position.

I think we can squeeze one in, aye?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

reply to post by getreadyalready

If you two want, I an set one up. Death penalty. I get to pick the pro/con sides.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Sounds fun! I can argue either side as well.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

reply to post by getreadyalready

Folks, it is up.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While you two are debating, I would like to ask for volunteers for judging.

Thanks and good luck!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I will be a judge... I have some time for that!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by beezzer

I will be a judge... I have some time for that!

Always appreciated young lady.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Just a friendly FYI.

If you want to be a judge, please private message the debate host. We need to keep judges anonymous for the debates.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Just a friendly FYI.

If you want to be a judge, please private message the debate host. We need to keep judges anonymous for the debates.

We have been having open judges. It hasn't been anonymous.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

yeah, and we are all good people, and fair minded. I do not see a problem with open judging!

No one is going to get mad if you dont agree with them!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Who goes first?

I have a funeral to attend tonight, so I won't be able to post or respond until tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by beezzer

Who goes first?

I have a funeral to attend tonight, so I won't be able to post or respond until tomorrow.

Druid will go first. You have time.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
And I am working late tonight, so I won't have my opening done till like 9pm EST. Can't debate from a smartphone, and retain your sanity. I gots to have a full keyboard.

Plus, that gives me a bit of thinking time, and how to crunch things down into three posts.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Never a problem. It'll be there for you both when you're ready.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Debate Judging is anonymous guys. If anyone wants to have a debate judged or volunteer to be a neutral and unbiased judge, please send a note to a Moderator.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join