It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sol 3 hasn't showed up yet - where is it? (Curiosity rover)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm probably being impatient, but usually by now another Sol would have been posted on the NASA/JPL website.

What I'm getting at is, if there WAS a problem (I hope not) with Curiosity, would we find out?

Sol 3 should have been up by now.

Not trying to make this into a conspiracy. I'm just excited and it just seems the data (to us) has become stagnant. I hope I wake up tomorrow and Sol 3 is there. If not... Then I guess we'll just have to see...

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Here's where the Sol's are:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
They are pushing a software update shortly I read. Prob. not related to your question though. Talk about stressful... bricking a 2.5 billion dollar rover is NOT something some software engineers want to be responsible for.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
They are pushing a software update shortly I read. Prob. not related to your question though. Talk about stressful... bricking a 2.5 billion dollar rover is NOT something some software engineers want to be responsible for.

I know, right? If this thing fails, a lot of people will have a lot of people to answer to (meaning their co-workers and superiors and yes, us too).

Well, most of us.

I would understand, though. I'd be let down, but I'd understand.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I wouldn't understand if it were a software oops that killed it at this point, but only because I understand software.

I would expect these kinds of safeguards at a minimum:

- Everything they do execute remotely on Mars, they run locally first in hardware testbed and in sim, some required number of times.

- Nothing executes remotely (day to day commands, software updater, etc.) without passing some insane code signature validation.

- Other things I didn't think of at midnight just now. :-)
edit on 8/9/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I know, right? If this thing fails, a lot of people will have a lot of people to answer to (meaning their co-workers and superiors and yes, us too).

Well, most of us.

I would understand, though. I'd be let down, but I'd understand.

Well from what I've gathered the hardest part was getting it down to the suface, so I doubt it would just break down without a good reason and stop transmitting.

And I would understand too, after all its not like they can send over a engineer to fix it.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sh4d0wz

Well from what I've gathered the hardest part was getting it down to the suface, so I doubt it would just break down without a good reason and stop transmitting.

It is in a new environment after all.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I guess the real reason why I'm worried is because I just watched a documentary on it being built. They said they were using a lot of things that they have never used before.

Problems with the gears, the actual science lab - I hope they pull through.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Another possiblity is:

It has been confiscated by local authorities

There was a picture transmitted back that, well, confirmed local authorities.

but the chances are really really small of this happening I would assume.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by sh4d0wz

It is in a new environment after all.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure they woud've atleast of tested it in the most remote desert we have on earth as a test as it seems that Mar's desert are somewhat similar to our own.

Originally posted by magma
Another possiblity is:

Pics or it didn't happen.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Another possiblity is:

Local authorities? Did sheriff Joe think maybe Obama's birth certificate could be found on Mars so he took a trip over? Not so sure what this means.

Back to the OP this is the testing stage, everything will be done slowly and deliberately. Exactly as it should be.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

a little bit of tounge in cheek

that is all.

.....on topic......

I too am anxious about the pictures.

and also.......

It will be terrible if it was confiscated by the locals.

Sort of like a reverse Roswell , if in deed that actually happened if you know what I mean

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Pics or it didn't happen.
reply to post by sh4d0wz

that is what were are

anxiously waiting for

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Another possiblity is:

This post doesn't make any sense.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I think we all need to take a step back a little.

The mission isn't about beaming pictures back to Earth (although it is very nice that it does), but to find evidence (or not) of climate change on Mars.

I don't think NASA has said they are going to beam pictures back every Martian day have they?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So the site with all of the Sol's is down right now.

ERROR The request could not be satisfied.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Come on, Curiosity. And if I'm not mistaken, they NEED to take pictures on a daily basis (NAV Cam), no?

edit on 8/10/2012 by impaired because: Capitalized "Curiosity"

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
I think we all need to take a step back a little.

The mission isn't about beaming pictures back to Earth (although it is very nice that it does), but to find evidence (or not) of climate change on Mars.

This is of course true, but images (AFAIK!) do play a role in this mission. It's not so much taking "pretty pictures" of the landscape - the cameras are also being used in a scientific sense. For example, one camera acts almost like a microscope - it can "find" and photograph certain particles in the soil like salt crystals etc. which gives scientists actually an idea about what the soil is made of and what elements it contains.
Or they can find interesting geological features beforehand, before they actually go there and check them with other instruments. There's certainly more use for the cameras than just use the pictures for pretty screen-savers

edit on 10-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Right. Thus we should be getting something from the NAV cams at least.

I just hope the Rover is all right. If something WAS wrong, how and when would they tell us?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

Come on, Curiosity. And if I'm not mistaken, they NEED to take pictures on a daily basis (NAV Cam), no?

Nah, it's just you who needs them.
You Mars junky you.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

The pics are here! The pics are here!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join