It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are Your Top Ten UFO Books?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I remember being impressed with The Lure of the Edge by Brenda Denzler. Its a very well written look at the phenomenon and at the people (like us) involved in the community. Definitely four stars.

-S

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
For me they would be:

1. The Day After Roswell - Philip Corso

2. Shoot Them Down, The Flying Saucer Air Wars of 1952 - Frank Freschino and someone else..lol

I have a few more but can't remember their titles

I have seen 7 UFO's so far since 2008. A few of my sightings are debatable but others are definitely out of this world!!
edit on 8/8/2012 by stevcolx because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/8/2012 by stevcolx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
My top ten Alien books has to be:

"Probes - Getting to the Bottom of Alien Abductions" Prof. K. Lingon

"Did Anyone Just See a Really Bright Light? My Expert Experience as an Experiencer" by Barnes Pooque

"Life in the Universe: the Odds are Good but the Goods are Odd" by Trevor and Light>Wolf Riley

"Debunk This!" Corporal Dwayne Hicks

"Aliens Is all Wack" Geoffrey Mandlebrot-Set

"Cosmic Campervans, Ancient Awnings -Why E.T Went on Holiday" Fay Kelp

"Hitler's Anti-Gravity Bunker" by Dr. Vernon Qualm

"Hitler's Anti-Gravity Bunker: Debunked" by Dr. Vernon Qualm Jnr.

"If You saw One What Would You Do, And How Would You Do It?" Dell Hewlett Packard Bell

"Just Call Me Alan" by Quarsax 89_

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I am not believe in UFO....so no books preferred

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thesearchfortruth

I have to agree with a lot of books mentioned on this forum. UFO books are a little like reading books, sometimes you have to read books like Leslie Kean's "UFOs: Pilots...", before Marrs "Alien Agenda. I recommend both books.

I also enjoyed Dolan's "UFO and the National Security State" books. I love Roswell books, and enjoyed "Crash at Corona" by Berliner and Friedman. "Witness to Roswell" by Carey & Schmidt was well done as well.

Although more of an alternative history book than technically a UFO book, I absolutely loved "The Gods of Eden" by William Bramley. Not a perfect work, but it was an absolutely mind-blowing read for me personally.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SajeevJino

Seems to me that both UFOs and The Sun are facts. You can't deny the sun exists, how do you deny UFOs exist?

I can understand the hesitation in assigning ET to these sightings, but how can one say UFOs don't exist?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jamdan

I never read the Hitler anti-gravity book by Qualm, but he wrote a book about it, then one debunking it?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jchristopher5
reply to post by jamdan

I never read the Hitler anti-gravity book by Qualm, but he wrote a book about it, then one debunking it?

No, that was Qualm Jnr.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

That could be perceived as an ignorant stance, you have to read about a topic to be able to comment on it effectively, are you incapable of reading UFO books objectively?

It could also be considered extremely ignorant to look at the UFO phenomenon without substantial knowledge of Psychology, Sociology, Meteorological Phenomenon, Astronomy, and many other factors that go into making up the 95% of reported cases that are indeed simple mistaken identity, as well as fraudulent activity.

If you look over an eye witness report where "person A" describes seeing "object X", and because of your UFO research, you draw a correlation between that report and blatant similarities with a case you read about occurring in 1967, you may very well be predisposed to rank that report as a secondary hit, or confirmation through continuity and consistency from that earlier report, when, the very fact of the matter could be that "person A" simply read the same historical report in the public record and is taking you for a ride.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

I never said I didn't consider these factors when looking into UFO cases either

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

It could also be considered extremely ignorant to look at the UFO phenomenon without substantial knowledge of Psychology, Sociology, Meteorological Phenomenon, Astronomy, and many other factors that go into making up the 95% of reported cases that are indeed simple mistaken identity, as well as fraudulent activity.

So why wouldn't you read the more scientific literature? Like the Stanford Sturrock report? Or the University of Colorado's 'Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects?' Or University of Colorado Dr. Roy Craig's analysis? Or Dr. Carl Jung's treatise and responsa?

There's also a metric ton of primary literature from the United States Air Force stored in the National Archives. (cf. Captain Edward Ruppelt's 'The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects', Lt. Col. Hector Quintanilla's 'UFO's: An Air Force Dilemma'). Not to mention the chief scientific consultant to the USAF project, the chairman of Northwestern University's astronomy department, who studied the subject for some 20+ years, wrote numerous monographs.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

True, but this thread seems to be about the remaining 5%...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I actually don't have any UFO books.

My go to materials relative to the subject deal primarily in Human Psychology, Sociology, Meteorology, Astronomy, Optical Illusions, and other such.

Yes, these fields and their representative explanations should be something that any moderately educated adult should already have internalized.

I'll readily admit to having a certain bias in favor of more down to earth explanations with higher probabilities of identification and/or mistaken identity by witnesses.

Yes, it is a bias - one that prevents one from looking at the phenomenon objectively.

Having/Studying UFO books and materials, in my opinion, risks a predisposition in favor of whatever ideas and ideals may be presented in such literature.

I felt a distinct kind of second-hand embarrassment on reading this. Not only by not reading any books on UFOs are you in no position to make any sort of judgment on the phenomenon; but by only reading books on psychology, sociology, etc., you are predisposed towards precisely the kinds of bias that you mention.

Fact of the matter is, we still don't know what this phenomenon is.

We actually have a better idea than you'd think. But you wouldn't know that by refusing to actually read any of the literature on the subject.

Tainting one's perception by assertions in UFO literature that UFOs are nuts and bolts craft, interdimensional travelers, time travelers, or other such based on whatever criteria for these kinds of assertions are made on, risks a predisposition toward considering those ideas as opposed to following independent critical analysis.

meh.

I'd say it's pretty difficult to perform any kind of mature critical analysis if you're failing to study the very phenomenon in question. It's like saying that, in order to be a serious student of evolution, you should make sure not to read anything on evolution.

edit on 9-8-2012 by Brighter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

All of the books mentioned are very good, however there is one book that has not been mentioned.

That is "Architects of the Underworld' by Bruce Rux. This book basically starts at the beginning, aka Roswell, and then goes all through the "sighting" years, BUT, then it delves into Ancient History, like a complete history if you will.

IMO, this is a great book for the beginner, no disrespect to the OP.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Brighter

Amen to that entire post, my friend. As genuine skeptic and astrophysicist Bernard Haisch noted:

To look at the evidence and go away unconvinced is one thing. To not look at the evidence and be convinced against it nonetheless is another. That is not science. Do your homework!

ufoskeptic.org

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
1. Matrix V
2. Alien Identities
3. They Cast No Shadows
4. Gods of Eden
5. Man Made UFOs
6. Space Aliens from the Pentagon
7. Secret Cipher of the UFOnaughts
8. Saucers and Sorcerors
9. Alien Agenda
10. The Gourmet Alien Cookbook Aka, To Serve Aliens
edit on 9-8-2012 by magickmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brighter

I actually don't have any UFO books.

My go to materials relative to the subject deal primarily in Human Psychology, Sociology, Meteorology, Astronomy, Optical Illusions, and other such.

Yes, these fields and their representative explanations should be something that any moderately educated adult should already have internalized.

I'll readily admit to having a certain bias in favor of more down to earth explanations with higher probabilities of identification and/or mistaken identity by witnesses.

Yes, it is a bias - one that prevents one from looking at the phenomenon objectively.

Having/Studying UFO books and materials, in my opinion, risks a predisposition in favor of whatever ideas and ideals may be presented in such literature.

I felt a distinct kind of second-hand embarrassment on reading this. Not only by not reading any books on UFOs are you in no position to make any sort of judgment on the phenomenon; but by only reading books on psychology, sociology, etc., you are predisposed towards precisely the kinds of bias that you mention.

Fact of the matter is, we still don't know what this phenomenon is.

We actually have a better idea than you'd think. But you wouldn't know that by refusing to actually read any of the literature on the subject.

Tainting one's perception by assertions in UFO literature that UFOs are nuts and bolts craft, interdimensional travelers, time travelers, or other such based on whatever criteria for these kinds of assertions are made on, risks a predisposition toward considering those ideas as opposed to following independent critical analysis.

meh.

I'd say it's pretty difficult to perform any kind of mature critical analysis if you're failing to study the very phenomenon in question. It's like saying that, in order to be a serious student of evolution, you should make sure not to read anything on evolution.

[align=center]I actually studied and majored in psychology in school, and I have to say...psychology studies can rank right up there with the UFO theories in their substantiation! [/align

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker

Originally posted by thesearchfortruth
Hi guys.

Recently I've been looking to add to my collection of UFO books. What are some of your personal favorites or just books that you think are really credible and interesting in general? List your top ten (or five, doesn't matter how many) and please explain why you like them.

My top eight:

1. The UFO Evidence, Richard Hall, Volumes I, and II
2. UFOs and the National Security State, Richard Dolan, Volumes I, and II
3. The Hynek UFO Report, J. Allen Hynek
4. The UFO Experience, J. Allen Hynek
5. Dimensions: A Casebook Of Alien Contact, Jacques Vallee
6. UFOs: Generals Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record, Leslie Kean
7. UFOs: Interplanetary Visitors, Raymond Fowler
8. The Edge of Reality: A Progress Report on Unidentified Flying Objects, J. Allen Hynek And Jacques Vallee

how about you guys?

My list would include your 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, not necessarily in the same order. Then I would add:

Anatomy of a Phenomenon by Jacques Vallee
Challenge to Science by Jacques Vallee
The UFO Controversy in America by David Jacobs
UFOs and Government by Michael Swords et al
The Missing Times: Media Complicity in the UFO Coverup by Terry Hansen
The Myth and Mystery of UFOs by Thomas E. Bullard

All of the above are quite factual and steer clear of the fringe. All well-written by obviously intelligent people who have really done their homework.

Some great books there!

Don't think anyone's mentioned 'Clear Intent' by Barry Greenwood but that's a good one as well.

The 'Report on Unidentified Flying Objects' by Captain Ed Ruppelt, the 'Report on the UFO Wave of 1947' by Ted Bloecher, 'Ufology' by James Mcampbell and 'The Challenge of Unidentified Flying Objects' by Professor Charles A. Maney are also well worth a read and available in free pdf format here.

Originally posted by Orkojoker
reply to post by Brighter

Amen to that entire post, my friend. As genuine skeptic and astrophysicist Bernard Haisch noted:

To look at the evidence and go away unconvinced is one thing. To not look at the evidence and be convinced against it nonetheless is another. That is not science. Do your homework!

ufoskeptic.org

Amen to that post as well mate, Bernard Haisch is a very wise man.

I don't think a person attempting to cultivate an informed, balanced opinion can ever be a bad thing and thought this was another apt quote from Herbert Spencer:

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

Herbert Spencer, British philosopher

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

The lady [cruella] doth protest too much, methinks.

I'll second that one. What a bunch of blah-blah-blah about how "learned" and "intelligent" she is (by REFUSING to read the suggestions here, no less!).

The militant megalomaniac is simply trolling around puffing up about how smart she is compared to anyone that would dare open a book about UFO's. So why come on here and launch into a diatribe about other stuff she prefers to read instead? Here's a tip: Go create your OWN thread about how smart and close-minded you are and see if you can attract some of your own posters, rather than come here and troll-beat the OP and others that wish to share some things about items in their personal libraries.

"MEH" back at ya...

p.s. to the op -and to the troll cruella: Although not specifically about Aliens and UFO's, one of my favorite books on proving the existence of ET life is Probabilit y1 by Dr. Amir Aczel..

Meh on that book for a while, droopella. (if you can handle the simple math and english, that is...)

edit on 10/17/2012 by Outrageo because:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Hi all and OP,

Above Top Secret, Timothy Good
The Government Files, Peter Brooksmith
Flying Saucers - Serious Business, Lyle Stuart
Inside the Saucers, George Adamski (FYI: free ebook available online--great read)
Flying Saucers from Outerspace, Maj. Donald Keyhoe
Cosmic Voyage, Courtney Brown phD
Abduction, John E. Mack
UFO Investigators Handbook, Craig Genday (forwarded: Stanton T. Friedman)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
only 2 needed:

1) The day after Rowsell - Major Phillip Corso
2) Unconventional flying objects - Paul Hill

Never seen any other good books.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join