It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peel an Onion and What Do You Get?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
There's only one thing funnier than people who accidentally think the Onion is a real news publication.

And that's people offended by the Onion.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
www.theonion.com...

Phelps Drowns

"After nearly a minute of his head repeatedly emerging from the water only to quickly disappear again beneath the surface, Phelps' body became limp,” Moreau added. “We would have stopped the race, but he was leading at the time."

Poolside witnesses reported that Phelps—a world-record holder in the 100-meter butterfly, 200-meter butterfly, and 400-meter individual medley—displayed all the classic signs of drowning: head low in the water, eyes open with fear evident in the face, and a complete lack of body control.

Personally.. I love the Onion the most when they are the most offensive.

link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Okay, I can't help myself... That last one just hit my funny bone.

Now I'll feel bad again.

link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
Sigh. Did your knee catch you in your nose after it jerked so high?

It didn't take you long did it? Your OP started out on the Onion's tasteless choice of comedy and then quickly morphed toward blaming Obama and liberals for brainwashing kids, and of course those big bad muslims in between. What the Onion did was unacceptable, period. I don't think however that you're above their level when you use their publicity as another excuse to attack liberals a muslims. It's equally low if you ask me.

Carry on Jean.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Blame is irrelevant. The point of linking the story of brainwashing kids in America was to compare that with the Muslim comedian killed by militants for making fun of militants and brainwashing kids. I really shouldn't have to explain that point, but in fairness to you, it was a nuanced point, and nuance and subtlety only seem to confuse you.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Gallows humor is an important part of coping with a stressful situation. It is what allows us to overcome our fears and face the reality of our situation.

Psychological Role of Humor in Oncology

The role of humor as a psychological defense mechanism has great importance in oncologic care. Humor, along with altruism, anticipation, asceticism, sublimation, and suppression, is acknowledged to be a mature defense mechanism,6 allowing a person to adjust to an anxiety-provoking stressor in an adaptive and productive manner. It has been suggested that the use of humor permits patients to psychologically distance themselves from their own death, while still allowing an acknowledgment of their terminal condition, thus helping to limit their psychological level of awareness of their condition7 and being an acceptable way to deny reality.

This effect is well summarized in this poignant quote: “The other reactions—anger, depression, suppression, denial—took a little piece of me with them. Each made me feel just a little less human. Laughter made me more open to ideas, more inviting to others, and even a little stronger inside. It proved to me that, even as my body was devastated and my spirit challenged, I was still a vital human.”

Journal of Clinical Oncology

The fact that the country can still find no humor in the 9-11 attacks shows that we have not even begun the process of healing mentally from the attack.

A sad situation for this country, especially over 10 years after the attack. Of course it doesn't help that the gubment does everything in its power to keep us in panic mode in order to maintain their power.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

How can we heal when the Military action begun because of it and immediately after it, is still sending Americans back as casualties and there is absolutely no end in sight? At least World War II had an end to it. I'm not sure I've even heard any of them describe what 'end' is supposed to look like so we'd know it when we see it.

I think the healing process can begin when the killing on both sides stops. Win it or Leave it....and we've about blown the first part by now.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

At least World War II had an end to it. I'm not sure I've even heard any of them describe what 'end' is supposed to look like so we'd know it when we see it.

The loss I mourn is that of any assuredness it will ever end. It was a tragic event regardless of who is responsible for it and carries it forth. I mourn the loss of all involved and all the losses as a result of that event, especially knowing none will ever include those losses of the perpetrators but further casualties in a continuing domino event never intended to end until every last one has fallen.

edit on 5-8-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Okay strike that last remark and amend it to say, at least we don't brainwash our children...wait...

In past news:

Elementary School Students Taught Pro-Obama Songs

Wow JPZ...never thought I would see something like this come out of you.

It seems all that is left on ATS is hate....sad day.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

What do you get when you peel an onion? You get red and blue stripes, what do you see Jean? I'm guessing the red stripes just don't show up for you now do they?

Sigh. Did your knee catch you in your nose after it jerked so high? What did you do, see the title and without bothering to read a thing, rub your hands together and type this nonsense? What is wrong with you?

This applies to the above poster as well.

It's really funny how people misconstrue the meaning someone makes pretty clear and uses it as a weapon.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Right back at you, my friend. Extrapolating hate from the O.P. is a leap so absurd as to make Evel Kneivel's Snake River Canyon leap look like child's play. I never would have imagined that your admiration for a President would so entrench you that you would actually illustrate precisely what I'm talking about.

Sigh. Comedy just isn't funny anymore.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

How exactly is that hate? Pro-Obama songs are brainwashing.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Morals, Political correctness, etc..........

All of these things, have changed, in the past 30 years.

Im more concerned about "kill lists", and 20000 drones in our skies. We, as a people, in America, have lost our moral compass. We also have lost the power, to change, the things, we know are wrong. Great thread Jean.

S&F

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join