It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could We Save America's Schools by Cutting Administrators Pay?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
There is this proposal by a teacher friend of mine who thinks if we cut school administrator's pay, we could save unions and teachers who's pays are being cut and are given non renewal papers. He's undergoing some serious trouble right now, along with other union members in his district who are facing closing down because the state cannot pay their salaries anymore.

Basically, what he's trying to do is to emphasize the fact that superintendents are being paid hundreds of thousands dollars a year, while they teach no one, and those who do teach students, are being subjected to pay cuts and union breakages.

For example, Gregory Thornton of the Milwaukee Public School district gets paid $265,000 a year, which exceeds the salary of anyone in Congress and the US Supreme Court and the President's Cabinet.

What say you ATS? Do you think the idea to cut off administrator's pays could help improve schools around the US? If you think it would, would you sign his petition to get Federal legislation to cut administrators pay?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

Absolutely.

In the district where I briefly taught, there was one school.

IT had a superintendent that made 6 figures. For ONE school!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Don't save/improve the schools, just get rid of them. They're all about brainwashing the young and what not... get a real teacher, your parents. They've got more experience in the world than teachers who are only there to shove bs down our throats.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

: / thats nuts! I'd post his petition in Change.org here but I don't know if its against ATS rules...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Meaningless

Thats easy to say, but what of those who don't have parents or those who's parents just aren't educated enough to educate their own kids? isn't that why schools came out in the first place??

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nusnus
we could save unions and teachers who's pays are being cut and are given non renewal papers.

Yes and yes to the questions that rounded out your post. Definitely.

But that quote? Get rid of the unions. What good are they if they let the teachers' pay get cut? Isn't that part of their "job"? To help the teachers in that regard?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

I think that should be looked at first before cutting out this like sports and other student programs, yes.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Yea, that is their job, in this case, they are facing closing due to the fact that the local politicians don't want to (or say they cannot afford to) bargain on their salaries anymore....while in the same time, they pay superintendents so much money a year....for what I cannot fathom.

The teachers in the union are being laid off at the end of the school year and are losing their hope etc in fighting and bargaining for their rights which the gov says cannot afford.
edit on 15-7-2012 by nusnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

I kinda agree with both of you. Schools are at a complete dismal stage in history but even education on a small scale is education to those who can't recieve it otherwise. I believe its up to parents to really define and structure the childs education up to a certain age, after that the children should reach out on their own to search for their own answers. However not all parents have the will, intelligence. or initiative to do any productive learning skills with their children which is really sad to me.

As for the topic. I dont believe in the principle of cutting the pay of an education establishment and its teachers because there is a shortage elsewhere. Education, Police, Fire Fighters, Public Service and things of this nature should never recieve any cuts for that is the foundation of any community.

However i also believe truth needs to taught and Schools need a complete overhaul in the information and classes given

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Not just cut their pay, but the number as well. i used to work in a school district, and frankly, there are far too many chiefs, not enough indians. There is no need for 5-6 administrators in a single school. Its silly. and each one is paid more than any teacher in the school.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

NO, they should be fired !!!!!!

How do 100 administrators benefit those little buggers learning multiplication tables?? The Department of Education are also administrators.

Modernize the schools organizational charts and logistics.

This should really be a solution EVERYONE should rally for.

edit on 16-7-2012 by lives because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Whatifitdidhappen

Well I think the situation arising here is a direct result of the amount of money state districts have, and its not a lot. Since it isn't a lot, they wish to reflect this on the teachers, BUT they don't want to cut the administrator's pay, only the teachers....does that sound fair?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Meaningless
Don't save/improve the schools, just get rid of them. They're all about brainwashing the young and what not... get a real teacher, your parents. They've got more experience in the world than teachers who are only there to shove bs down our throats.

no no and more no. There are many issues with the schools and the curriculum, but if you truly think that the majority of parents out there are fit to educate the youth of america, i shake my head at you. Most parents cant be bothered to help their kids with their homework, let alone teach them.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I dont see that helping anything much. I mean if you cut that one guys salary, it would not go very far. You might be able to save about three teaching positions if you cut his salary down to 100,000. And then what? The district would still have to hunt for money and eventually cut more programs and layoff more teachers. My local school district is in the hole millions of dollars.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

Its not fair at all, but this is how the economy works all around at the moment. The top keep what they have and the poor and middle class gets shoved out. I think the Admins should save their beloved institutions and teachers if they had any ounce of nobility in their body. After all it is about the kids right?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

Uhmmm are you crazy? Yeah lets start making education system cuts. No, how about this, cut military spending, foreign aid, kick out the illegals, and last but not least the Federal Reserve.

Thanks, next thread please.
edit on 16-7-2012 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Base the teacher and administration pay on test scores. You would see an uproar like no other. On the other hand, we would have some very dedicated teachers.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Onequestion, one question, how do administrators benefit the children sitting in the classroom?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
Base the teacher and administration pay on test scores. You would see an uproar like no other. On the other hand, we would have some very dedicated teachers.

I dont really agree with this because then the curriculum would revolve heavily on information crunching rather than actually getting experience and making it fun for the students. I think it would put too much pressure on the already stressed out teachers.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
i though the lottery was supposed to help our educational system, that was a sham!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join