It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am trying to put closure on an incident that happened a few years ago. I have not found any answe

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Explanation: Uhmmm?

Sure it's a case of AWOL ... but if the OP'er hadn't provided any details and had just said the missing team went AWOL,... then members would be bashing on them for being ambiguous!

There is no need to use JARGON here because we are not all military minded or trained etc. and so to use PLAIN SPEECH was fully appropriate!

Personal Disclosure: It is just a SNAFU and the plain speech was probabably to stop the thread ending up FUBAH from the get go!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
OK, I believe this story is complete nonsense, but in line with an earlier moderator comment, I'll outline below why this is my personal belief:

Originally posted by crazydude
I just finished 5 years service with a military force. During my second year of service they selected 20 hardcore guys for special combat and recon training in the Yukon.

This one is speculative on my part, but don't military services have very descriptive terms for different sized groups? Squad, platoon, company, battalion, etc? It seems strange that they would just pick "20 hardcore guys". particularly if it was only for "training". Surely for a just a training exercise, they would pick and entire squad, platoon, company, etc? What is the point of 'training' only 20 guys from one unit? And after "just" finishing 5 years of service, would you not refer to such a group by name?

2. Some of the terminology just comes across completely amateurish. "20 hardcore guys"??? Come on. This isn't high school. And comments like "sometimes I shiver when...". Given that all you have seen is footprints, and read crazy/creepy comments in a mission log, that seems a bit over the top? Shivering? Does anybody ACTUALLY shiver after incidents like this? Seems like a line out of a fiction novel.

3. Given that this was only a training exercise, all of these military personnel would have been based locally. Therefore the disappearance of 20 people could not have been explained away to 20 families as being MIA or KIA. This would be a different story for troops who were deployed overseas somewhere. Have the families not questioned anything after so many years? Even after accidents, the bodies are returned to the families. They would want to know why there was no body. They would NEVER give up on this point.

3.) They didn't all take their weapons (this would be a punishable offense and it doesn't make sense).

Would be? Would??? You only "just finished 5 years of service" but you don't know whether leaving weapons behind is a punishable offense or not? You only suggest it would be?

5. A "friend", quailman03, logged on to tell the world that they directed you here from another site. I have entered sentence fragments from your original post in google, even simple strings of 3-4 words, and Google only picks up ONE result which is this very thread. It appears as though not a single element of your story was discussed on a forum anywhere else. Can you tell us where you were redirected from?

6. Quailman03 is a pretty unique moniker. Twitter has a user "quailman03", under the name Mitchell Williams. Are you Mitchell Williams? For someone who doesn't want to share info about the incident in case of reprisal, it seems odd to leave so many traces.

7. Following up from 5, you also said this only FIVE hours after your original post:

This has been a very respectful and supportive forum for me to discuss this content. My gf laughs at me and some of my "friends" dismiss me.

So... if I'm reading this correctly, are they laughing at you and dismissing you for using ATS? Or just your story in general. If the former, how have you discussed this site with so many people in under 6 hours? If the latter, obviously you're not sharing your story with them in such a way that they are believing you. If you are "shivering" when you think about it, as you claim, then surely your GF will not simply laugh at you. Nor will your friends simply dismiss you. People can genuinely tell when someone is distressed when sharing a story. It does not sound like you have shared this with them in such a manner.

8. You say you don't want to share what's in the mission logs because they "take away" from your story? Come on. They ARE the story. I feel as though you realised you would struggle coming up with something so scary to read that a veteran of 5 years' military service would "shiver" after reading it.

9. You say the missing patrol reported the distances they traveled every day in kilometres, not miles, yet you convert them back to miles. If you're part of the same unit, why are you more comfortable operating in miles whereas the others in your unit were operating in kilometres? And would there not have been regulations to use one or the other to avoid life-threatening confusion?

10. In this post:

4.) A sentry reported someone/something was trying to lure him away from his post and into the treeline throughout the night. It was calling his name. Severe weather, fatigue, and over-active imagination?

... you add a whole list of "self-strawmen" arguments. You pose something 'crazy', then shed doubt. A voice lured him! Probably fatigue... it's like you don't want to come across as spruiking nonsense. You want to sow the seed and let others do that for you.

I'm sorry. Not buying ANY of this...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
reply to post by intrptr

Explanation: Uhmmm?

Sure it's a case of AWOL ... but if the OP'er hadn't provided any details and had just said the missing team went AWOL,... then members would be bashing on them for being ambiguous!

There is no need to use JARGON here because we are not all military minded or trained etc. and so to use PLAIN SPEECH was fully appropriate!

Personal Disclosure: It is just a SNAFU and the plain speech was probabably to stop the thread ending up FUBAH from the get go!

(A)bsent (W)ith(O)ut (L)eave --- AWOL

Thanks for the reminder, I know better. Now that I think about it, it's more like desertion. Sorry if I don't link to WIKI world on those, I gotta figure people can look it up on their own. Like I learned to do after many dumb questions.

Its only conjecture on my part, I don't really know what happened to those men, but it seemed the logical explanation. Can't really blame them. Poor guys, some of them must have several tours by now. How many lives does the Government think they have left?

BTW --- (B)y (T)he (W)ay? I think its FUBAR, not FUBAH.

Edit: Oh, sorry. I see it can be both FUBAR and FUBAH. But if I can't recognize it then it is hopeless anyway.

edit on 17-7-2012 by intrptr because: WHOOPS...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydude

I used to teach Survival in all Environments. There is a condition of which the Human body obtains when a person is in a case of Extreme Hypothermia. They start to feel like they are Burning up with Heat. A person in this condition will actually take off their cloths...socks and boots included as a way to COOL DOWN.

They are not actually Hot but the body TRICKS them into believing so and when I read about the Bare Foot tracks in the snow...I believe this is a sign of this condition. All common sense leaves a person or group of people and they might split up and walk away from each other. If there were extreme Cold Conditions...please inform me.

Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

Sorry pal, but umm... I dont know what millitary YOUR from, but we've always called our "backpacks" ruk sacks.

Im xArmy. Tell me I'm a lier....

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Maybe the scary things are back...

RCMP search for "non-human entities" in BC

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
the only way even a superhuman can hike over 100 miles in rough terrain is if the men split into two men teams that patrolled 20 miles each, per team. nothing else holds water.

*the military would not likely place 20 men in an extreme wilderness situation without live rounds. but even in the case of 'blanks', the scenerio would have been the same. the men would have fired their weapons. ..even on '___'. the blanks would make a loud sound to scare a bear or windigo. live rounds can be fired in the air or into a tree to spook a bear or a perceived nightmare. their campsite would have been litered with shell casings before they ran in all directions. 20 men dont scare easy. guns do shoot. warriors will pull the trigger. why is there no mention of whether weapons were discharged - it would be the first thing to check.

*remains would definately be found with 20 men involved, even with bears and ants. uniforms dont dissolve.

*if someone else was killing them with guns, there would be a record of the first few dying.

*hypothermia would not hit 20 men at the same exact time. the extreme symptoms of hypothermia would have caused the team to warm those affected as they became irrational.

the facts dont add up to anything but hoax. good movie plot though, the plot following the rescue team all the way til the windingo snuffs them all...lol

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Just checking in to see if the OP has returned. Is it time to put closure to this thread?

Des

edit on 18-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by knightwhosaysnih

That is scary as hell. Definitely dealing with something not of this world.

You don't have any sort of reason to say such a thing, ever. Let's say aliens landed on your front lawn tomorrow. Let's examine your statement:

That is scary as hell.
The most sense for saying this would be to ward yourself away from the situation without investigating it. In which case, you would say "I'd better get out of here." You serve yourself no purpose to try to trigger a panic mechanism. You could put yourself in danger that you would have normally avoided.

Definitely dealing with something not of this world.
No, even with this one, you're 0/2. When you manage to touch the aliens and find they're physical, nothing would lead you to believe they're not scientist created or a costume. Your only sane reaction would be
1. Am I the only one seeing this?
2. Who else has seen this in the past? Obviously, of the 6-7 billion humans, I'm not breaking any new ground here.

Upon confirmation that the visuals are real,
3. Somebody must be fabricating this for me, for what purpose?

Humans don't have any sort of record of off-planet creatures or civilisations. Even of extra dimensional beings. The most we have is fossil records of ancient creatures. That, I find genuine interest at. Entirely different life forms roamed this planet before humans existed.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Since the op still hasn't returned I suppose this is just a hoax. A shame really because I was enjoying the story so much.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
As the OP has not been back to discuss his topic in several days, this thread is being closed pending his return...Thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join