It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoard of gold coins found at Israel Crusades site

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Hoard of gold coins found at Israel Crusades site

af.reuters.com

A 1,000-year-old hoard of gold coins has been unearthed at a famous Crusader battleground where Christian and Muslim forces once fought for control of the Holy Land, Israeli archaeologists said on Wednesday.

The treasure was dug up from the ruins of a castle in Arsuf, a strategic stronghold during the religious conflict waged in the 12th and 13th centuries.

The 108 coins - one of the biggest collections of ancient coins discovered in Israel - were found hidden in a ceramic jug beneath a t
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I have no shame in admitting that I'm not fully aware of the events that occured during the crusades but this is interesting news nonetheless.

According to the article this should help shed light on how economic transactions were made at the time. It would be something else to know the history of what really went on back then, not the watered down Christian version that we have all been lead to believe.

The depressing thing is that 1,000 years have past and the crusades are still in full effect. Maybe 1,000 years from now archaeologists will unearth the Dimona nuclear plant and Israel's undeclared arsenal of nuclear weapons. That would be something else wouldn't it?

af.reuters.com

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
So they won't need any more financial "assistance"?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I wonder if Israel will give the money back to the Catholic Church or keep it and demand more in reparations for some imaginary injustice?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That's a fine way of looking at it

Regrettably the aid will probably keep coming.

Israel, U.S. formally sign new defense aid agreement U.S. to transfer $30 billion to Israel over 10 years; 26 percent can be spent on Israeli companies' products.

Israel and the United States signed Thursday a Memorandum of Understanding on the new American defense package for Israel. Under the new aid agreement, the U.S. will transfer $30 billion to Israel over 10 years, compared with $24 billion over the past decade.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

The depressing thing is that 1,000 years have past and the crusades are still in full effect. Maybe 1,000 years from now archaeologists will unearth the Dimona nuclear plant and Israel's undeclared arsenal of nuclear weapons. That would be something else wouldn't it?

Thats a little melodramatic don't you think? The crusades are hardly in full effect, well Islam never stopped crusading but the english packed up and went home 1000 years ago. Finding 108 gold coins is an archeaological treasure. I can't help but wonder if those were all the coins found or just the ones they didn't pocket for the black market.

Thats like saying the battle for Mecca is still in full effect because Muslim are still there and the only archeaological evidence of the pre-islamic culture is the temple of the moongod Sin (Ka'aba)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

My mention of the crusades being in full effect was more of a metaphor than anything else. There is an ongoing conquest of Middle Eastern nations even until this day...Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Iran...the list goes on. This may not be like the crusades that you were told about in the past since it is based on money and not religion but IMO the crusades from a millenium ago were also based on greed and performed under the disguise of religion so there are many similarities.

Same # different pile.

Perhaps your belief system impedes your ability to see things for what they really are?
edit on 11-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
That is quite a haul! I enjoy reading about archaeological finds. Who gets the gold? That is something I want to know. Other than that, I would like to see if they can find some of the archaeological treasures the Templars claimed to have found in the Holy Land. Supposedly, they set up command and were excavating under the former Temple Mount, and the Dome of the Rock.

Dome of the Rock

During the Crusades the Dome of the Rock was given to the Augustinians, who turned it into a church while the Al-Aqsa Mosque became a royal stable. The Knights Templar, who believed the Dome of the Rock was the site of the Temple of Solomon, later set up their headquarters in the Al-Aqsa Mosque adjacent to the Dome for much of the 12th century. The "Templum Domini", as they called it, was featured on the official seals of the Order's Grand Masters (such as Everard des Barres and Renaud de Vichiers), and it became the architectural model for Templar churches across Europe. One of these typically Templar churches was the old Saint Michael church (until the 15th century) in Roeselare which is located on the extension of the orthodromic distance line from the Dome of the Rock to the Kokino observatory.

I wonder what they were looking for, or what was carted away? The Muslims will not let anyone near there to dig. Religious differences, among a myriad of other things I suppose? Very interesting though. The conflict continues in the Middle East as it has for thousands of years. Don't see much change happening on that front. Here is a good documentary about the Crusades since the OP said their knowledge on the subject is quaint.

Crusades: Crescent & the Cross
Part 1

Part 2

edit on 11-7-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I wonder what they were looking for, or what was carted away? The Muslims will not let anyone near there to dig. Religious differences, among a myriad of other things I suppose?

More like theyre afraid someone will dig up the truth. Like how the Pope created Islam to hunt down the remaining Yahudim and N'tzarim so the Queen of Heaven and Allah could rule unchallenged.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I hate to sound lazy, and I'm not doubting you, but I would like a link so I can look into this in more detail as I'm interested to learn more about it.

It would be much appreciated if you could direct me to a decent source to research this.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Oh wow, this reminds me of the find at the battleground of Jacob's Ford, which was aired on television a while back. They said the Templar commander, if I remember correctly, was wearing them in a bag on a strap under his tunic. I really love old finds like this, because they offer a wealth, no pun intended, of information.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Forgive me for not knowing where the heck you are going with your last reply? By all means, please enlighten us. Perhaps, provide a few sources as well? I have to say you have caught my attention. I was thinking more along the lines of some old Jewish, Christian, or even Islamic artifacts. You know the Ark of the Covenant, the Holy Grail, and other stuff like that.
edit on 11-7-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I have no shame in admitting that I'm not fully aware of the events that occured during the crusades but this is interesting news nonetheless.

According to the article this should help shed light on how economic transactions were made at the time. It would be something else to know the history of what really went on back then, not the watered down Christian version that we have all been lead to believe.

af.reuters.com

I'm confused are you depressed because after the Catholic church stopped it's crusade of the ME, Muslims continued their crusade to conquer the world and instill Islam.

I'm depressed that people start threads on good archaeological finds & then have to add their political 2c worth.
Lets stick to the topic it will make for a better thread, but if this is just some gold coins in a jar I can't see how it will shed much light on anything. Nice find though.

Don't we have scanners or something these days that could locate underground rooms or jars with gold coins buried and we could just give sites a quick once over & know where best to dig?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Its interesting that Israel is one on the nations that actively influences the US elections, is involved in both industrial and military espionage and yet the US still funds their operations.

Is like a legal scheme for money laundry and political corruption..
edit on 12-7-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Congratulations !!
You've manged to [snip] up a perfectly good and interesting find by involving politics where it has nothing to do with it, as usual I might add.

More details on the story:
www.haaretz.com...

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 7/12/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitational

Thanks for the bump

Just because I don't agree with you it doesn't mean I'm wrong. The commentary I added to this news is very relevant to the story. It's too bad that your bias on the issue has blinded you to the point you automatically
criticize anything that doesn't suit your agenda.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

dammit can't click on the link..we'll if its true I guess drinks on them tonight. lol

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by demonid011

The link still works for me. I would try a different browser or perhaps revise your current browser settings. Try that and if it doesn't work let me know and I will try to find you another source.

top topics

join