It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Columbia PhD in Ancient History destroys Christianity and Jesus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Jesus is not real

Skip to 28:00

edit on 10-7-2012 by NotReallyASecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotReallyASecret
Jesus is not real:

Youtube

Neither is your link.

OK. You fixed it as I was writing this, made for an interesting mix up! Surely you don't think a single debate ends the issue?
edit on 7/10/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NotReallyASecret

Wow, Columbia is really breaking some ground. First Columbia Economics professor, David Epstein, has a sexual affair with his 24 year old biological daughter and now this guy one ups the Sanhedrin. Do people really pay money to send their kids to this place? Sucker born everyday...then they meet up at Columbia.

The historicity of Jesus is well established. This guy needs to find something productive to do with his time. Maybe he should spend more time with his kids..errrm maybe not.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Jesus is not real:

Youtube

Neither is your link.
edit on 7/10/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

It should be working now

Skip ahead 28 minutes.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
The historicity of Jesus is well established.

Its well established Jesus was a God???

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Jesus is not real:

www.youtube.com...

Wow, what a compelling argument. It took me some time to read through your post, it's pretty long. Shorten it up a bit next time.

Seriously though, this influx of random (and old) YouTube videos that people claim to be "proof" is freakin' annoying. Especially when all that's posted is a link to a video. That's it. Period.

Care to elaborate on the video at all, maybe summarize it? No, you're just going to throw the link out there and say "skip to here?"

Ridiculous. Have a good one but I have some serious doubts that you've find anything worthwhile.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Just one mans opinion.
Doesn't mean much.
Not to me anyway.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Gee, an atheist doesn't believe in Jesus? And uses assumptive logic to "make his case"? Wow, call the papers, they'll really want to get on this straight away.

"Here we have a historically unbelievable story involving a man with a fake name"... this is meant to disprove Christianity? You lost me right there, bub.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire

Jesus is not real:

www.youtube.com...

Wow, what a compelling argument. It took me some time to read through your post, it's pretty long. Shorten it up a bit next time.

Seriously though, this influx of random (and old) YouTube videos that people claim to be "proof" is freakin' annoying. Especially when all that's posted is a link to a video. That's it. Period.

Care to elaborate on the video at all, maybe summarize it? No, you're just going to throw the link out there and say "skip to here?"

Ridiculous. Have a good one but I have some serious doubts that you've find anything worthwhile.

Want a summary?

The Gospels are 100% constructed myth.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Events in the "gospels" have been proven to have happened.
So to say they are 100% myth would be lying to everyone and yourself.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Are you serious? His argument is pathetic and revolves around his own myth making with regards to how the release of Barabbus is 'unlikely'. It turns out that Barabbus was not a revolutionary as claimed but simply someone who caused a riot where someone got killed. In other words a typical drunk and trouble maker.

Turns out that many Roman governors have honored a practice of releasing criminals to appease the crowds and it is recorded in history. This is such a thin and pathetic attempt to shore up failed atheism and the whole argument is borrowed from someone else. It's not even new!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

I watched the video, and I think the guy has a solid argument. Somehow I doubt the responses in this thread involve any viewing of the video at all.

Please provide 1 event in the gospels that has been proven to have taken place. Just 1 event, I can do the research for myself. Thanks.
edit on 10-7-2012 by OrchusGhule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

I used to be a saved Christian, and read all sorts of apologetics, so please don't bull# me.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Well ofcourse Jesus does not exist. His name isn't Jesus it is Yeshua
. Archeaological proof of Yeshua proves he does exist, and also Simon Peter, Mary, Martha and Lazarus, Judah and Simeon.

To the Apostles who ran around with him, he was pretty damn real to them. Yahudim need proof, if they didn't see miracles they wouldn't have believed in him.

KthxBai.
edit on 10-7-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Jesus is not real

Since there is no comments allowed on the video, it is nice that someone made a thread for people who may want to comment.
I think what is being said is interesting and worthwhile listening to.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
The historicity of Jesus is well established.

It's well established Jesus was a God???

No, that he was a real person. I thank you for the link. As I listen to it I'm struck that this young man can't see the forest for the trees. If I may recommend a book to you, check out The Five Gospels which does not contradict this poor fellow, but adds a bit of depth to the issues involved.

You might be surprised that in many seminaries, the basic conclusion is that Jesus was a charismatic man with a message, and that's all. In any case, this man's "revelation" that the gospels are "full of myth" is kind of like saying "water is wet." Myth and metaphor are how people told stories before the advent of the printing press and the internet. Finding myth in the gospels doesn't really dismiss them, as this fellow seems to think. Like many anti-Christians, he takes the stories literally, points out they cannot be true, and dismisses them, apparently thinking people really believe them and take them literally.

He, and other anti-Christians, might be surprised to learn that theologians are not stupid, literal people. They know full well that the earth is not 6,000 years old, that Eve did not eat a real apple, that Noah did not hold a concert for everyone on the ark.

When I listen to him I'm thinking he is terribly superficial here. He obviously does not begin to understand some of the deeper elements he is skimming over. I would be surprised if he knows about or can comprehend Quelle, for example. He's a kind of guy who read the Bible and Bertrand Russell (If I must tell you, he wrote "Why I am not a Christian") then called it good. He forgot to read Albert Schweitzer ("The Qwest for the Historical Jesus"). he has no appreciation for the more complex issues.

Obviously, this issue is far bigger than a concocted university debate. We can't solve the issues here on this thread. But as for this kid "destroying Christianity and Jesus." Not a chance. He doesn't even come close. If he thinks he does, he's delusional.

BTW, in conventional terms, I consider myself an atheist, so please don't type me as a misty-eyed believer.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I too would like to see some of the proof please. Not trying to be funny, I'm just unaware of this proof and since you claim it exists, then I'd like to examine for myself

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

No, that he was a real person. I thank you for the link. As I listen to it I'm struck that this young man can't see the forest for the trees. If I may recommend a book to you, check out The Five Gospels which does not contradict this poor fellow, but adds a bit of depth to the issues involved.

Cheers.

You trot out that old book?

All the Jesus Seminar tried to do was to reconstruct a root gospel.

That in itself doesn't mean that that the root text is real history.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OrchusGhule

Flavius Josephus and Cornelius Tacitus are external historical sources that confirm the existence of several NT characters including Jesus, Pilate, John the baptist, James and others.

There you go- do your research

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

He, and other anti-Christians, might be surprised to learn that theologians are not stupid, literal people. They know full well that the earth is not 6,000 years old, that Eve did not eat a real apple, that Noah did not hold a concert for everyone on the ark.

When I listen to him I'm thinking he is terribly superficial here. He obviously does not begin to understand some of the deeper elements he is skimming over.

I'm not sure which astounds me more -- the intellectual laziness of posting a YouTube video without comments, apart from "Jesus is not real", with the suggestion that proof lies in the video, which it does not; or people who see the authors of Bible being some sort of cosmic jokers, who made up stories, cleverly hid joke names and sayings in them, in the belief that no one would ever catch on.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join