It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pslams

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Psalm 18

2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; (ROCK AS IN GREAT BiG VOLCANO) my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (IN OTHER TRASLATIONS STRONGHOLD IS 'HIGH TOWER')
3 I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise,
and I have been saved from my enemies.
4 The cords of death entangled me;
the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
5 The cords of the grave coiled around me;
the snares of death confronted me.
6 In my distress I called to the LORD;
I cried to my God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice; (Volcanic temple)
my cry came before him, into his ears.
7 The earth trembled and quaked,
and the foundations of the mountains shook;
they trembled because he was angry. (THEY TEMBLED BECAUSE A VOLCANO WAS ERUPTING)
8 Smoke rose from his nostrils;
consuming fire came from his mouth,
burning coals blazed out of it.)

9 He parted the heavens and came down;
dark clouds were under his feet.
10 He mounted the cherubim and flew;
he soared on the wings of the wind.
11 He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him—
the dark rain clouds of the sky.
12 Out of the brightness of his presence
clouds advanced,
with hailstones and bolts of lightning. (BRIGHTNESS OF FIRE....HAILSTONES OF SULFUR, VOLCANIC LIGHTENING)
13 The LORD thundered from heaven;
the voice of the Most High resounded. (MOST HIGH BEING THE MOST HIGH VOLCANO....THUNDERED....RUMBLED....ROCKED...FROM HEAVEN, THE CLOUDY MASSE ON THE TOP OF THE VOLCANO)
14 He shot his arrows and scattered the enemy, (ARROWS OF FLAMING SULFUR)
with great bolts of lightning he routed them. (VOLCANIC ERUPTION LIGHTENING)
15 The valleys of the sea were exposed (TSUNAMI DRAWING BACK THE WATER)
and the foundations of the earth laid bare (TSUNAMI REVEALING SEABED)
at your rebuke, LORD,
at the blast of breath from your nostrils. (ANTHROPOMORPHISED VOLCANIC SMOKE))

blah blah blah waffle waffle waffle.....

Or does this commentary sounds more feasible?

The first words, "I will love thee, O Lord, my strength," are the scope and contents of the psalm. Those that truly love God, may triumph in him as their Rock and Refuge, and may with confidence call upon him. It is good for us to observe all the circumstances of a mercy which magnify the power of God and his goodness to us in it. David was a praying man, and God was found a prayer-hearing God. If we pray as he did, we shall speed as he did. God's manifestation of his presence is very fully described, verses 7-15. Little appeared of man, but much of God, in these deliverances. It is not possible to apply to the history of the son of Jesse those awful, majestic, and stupendous words which are used through this description of the Divine manifestation. Every part of so solemn a scene of terrors tells us, a greater than David is here. God will not only deliver his people out of their troubles in due time, but he will bear them up under their troubles in the mean time. Can we meditate on ver. 18, without directing one thought to Gethsemane and Calvary? Can we forget that it was in the hour of Christ's deepest calamity, when Judas betrayed, when his friends forsook, when the multitude derided him, and the smiles of his Father's love were withheld, that the powers of darkness prevented him? The sorrows of death surrounded him, in his distress he prayed, Hebrews 5:7. God made the earth to shake and tremble, and the rocks to cleave, and brought him out, in his resurrection, because he delighted in him and in his undertaking.

www.christnotes.org...
edit on 7-7-2012 by TheFogHorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Keep banging that drum buddy, I am sure at some point someone will listen.

IM still waiting for the list of supposed PhD's you claimed in an earlier thread who where working with you on this theory...

Again, if you where working with educated people who studied historical documents they would of informed you about hermeneutics and how to properly interpret historical documents and myths.

There are far to many Toarh commentaries and scholars who have looked into the God of the Old testament far more than you ever have.

And none have decided YEP volcano, thats the answer.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFogHorn
Psalm 18

2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; (ROCK AS IN GREAT BiG VOLCANO)

Volcano? Where does that come from?

Maybe if it said "The LORD is my molten lava exploding mountain" you might have a point.

Short of that, I have a new word for your vocabulary: Eisegesis

Learn it. Love it. Stop doing it.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Keep banging that drum buddy, I am sure at some point someone will listen.

IM still waiting for the list of supposed PhD's you claimed in an earlier thread who where working with you on this theory...

Again, if you where working with educated people who studied historical documents they would of informed you about hermeneutics and how to properly interpret historical documents and myths.

There are far to many Toarh commentaries and scholars who have looked into the God of the Old testament far more than you ever have.

And none have decided YEP volcano, thats the answer.

Well that's a bit odd. I posted something about Psalm 18 and you completely ignored it. Hmmmm.....

PHD....being done as we speak but my lips are sealed on the author, as promised. Now you are highly likely to say I'm making it up, given how Christians hot under the collar tend to do just that....if under pressure, accuse them of the tricks you know best.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFogHorn

Nope, but I like how you imply that I would respond in a way that you are basically responding to me.

But I digress, tell you what, you get your Phd thesis done and published, and when you post it here I will gladly pick up the debate than.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Psalm 18

2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; (ROCK AS IN GREAT BiG VOLCANO)

Maybe if it said "The LORD is my molten lava exploding mountain" you might have a point.

Gosh, I never knew the ancient nomadic desert Hebrews knew the word lava! Oh well, that's my idea done for. And there I was under the impression they didn't even know the word volcano, or even have a word FOR volcano. And all along they knew the word 'lava'. Well silly me.

Ah....now, on second thoughts, are you sure you're not getting mixed up with 'river of fire'?

A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him. Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened. Daniel 10:7

or 'consuming fire'?

Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it. Psalm 18:8

Hmmmm.....

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Nope, but I like how you imply that I would respond in a way that you are basically responding to me.

But I digress, tell you what, you get your Phd thesis done and published, and when you post it here I will gladly pick up the debate than.

Your attention to detail will be missed. I will certainly post the thesis here, if I'm still able to, but then you will look a silly sausage won't you? Oh, perish the thought of being the last one to click or the last one to admit it. Better to speak up early with this one. It's one hellova gamble

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Your attention to detail will be missed. I will certainly post here, if I'm stil able to, but then you will look a silly sausage won't you? Oh, perish the thought of being the last one to click or the last one to admit it. Better to speak up early with this one

I truly look forward to intellectual discourse with someone with such maturity and wit...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

1750, from Italian (Neapolitan or Calabrian dialect) lava "torrent, stream," traditionally from L. lavare "to wash" (see lave). Originally applied in Italian to flash flood rivulets after downpours, then to streams of molten rock from Vesuvius. Alternative etymology is from L. labes "a fall," from labi "to fall." Lava lamp is attested from 1965, also lava light (reg. U.S., 1968, as Lava Lite).

www.etymonline.com...

The first use in connection with extruded magma (molten rock below the Earth's surface) was apparently in a short account written by Francesco Serao on the eruption of Vesuvius between May 14 and June 4, 1737.[5] Serao described "a flow of fiery lava" as an analogy to the flow of water and mud down the flanks of the volcano following heavy rain.

en.wikipedia.org...

Can you two above please confirm you now realise that the comment about lava was very silly?

Can you or can't you admit you were wrong? A very pertinent question.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Well, obviously not an easy thing for you to do. I'm off to bed, which will give you time to think this conundrum over.

Volcano bless

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Can you two above please confirm you now realise that the comment about lava was very silly?

Why? Did you not understand the concept of Eisegesis?

It says ROCK. There are a lot of things that the word rock might imply, but unless you are practicing interpretation to match a preconceived notion, "volcano" would be last on the list, if it even appeared.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

It says ROCK. There are a lot of things that the word rock might imply, but unless you are practicing interpretation to match a preconceived notion, "volcano" would be last on the list, if it even appeared.

Just caught me.....

Strange again. I was talking about your lava comment but you're completely ignoring the obvious.

Can you or can't you retract your lava comment? Can you now admit that suggesting the ancient Hebrews would know the word lava and use it in their texts is very daft? Can you also admit that suggesting the Hebrews even knew what lava was was very daft, or do I have to once again dig out the facts on when people first learnt what volcanoes were?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Anticipating your response, here you go....look it up yourself...

Isaac Asimou 'How did we find out about volcanoes?'

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Just caught me.....

Strange again. I was talking about your lava comment but you're completely ignoring the obvious.

Can you or can't you retract your lava comment? Can you now admit that suggesting the ancient Hebrews would know the word lava and use it in their texts is very daft? Can you also admit that suggesting the Hebrews even knew what lava was was very daft, or do I have to once again dig out the facts on when people first learnt what volcanoes were?

Why would I retract it?

If you have evidence that the word in that particular line of that particular Psalm, in the original Hebrew, is for lava, not rock, present it. If the evidence says it could mean either one, show your evidence that it means one, rather than the other.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Psalm 18

They couldn't use the word lava but it hadn't been thought of then....not for thousands of years. They couldn't use the word volcano because it hadn't been thought of then.....not for thousands of years. They didn't even know it was a volcano because volcanoes were not demystified for thousands of years.

Your point is?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Psalm 18

They couldn't use the word lava but it hadn't been thought of then....not for thousands of years. They couldn't use the word volcano because it hadn't been thought of then.....not for thousands of years. They didn't even know it was a volcano because volcanoes were not demystified for thousands of years.

Your point is?

Well, if you're not going to provide the evidence that I requested, the point is the fairly obvious "'Rock' means rock, as in something solid to rely on, not volcano, as in something random, fluid and dangerous." If you do the simple semantic exercise of replacing the words, 'volcano' makes little sense, while 'foundation' makes pretty good sense.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Adjensen... you should know that since you left and returned we have our very own volcano worshipper on the forum now. 9/10 of her threads are about volcanoes.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Psalm 18

Your point is?

Well, if you're not going to provide the evidence that I requested, the point is the fairly obvious "'Rock' means rock, as in something solid to rely on, not volcano, as in something random, fluid and dangerous." If you do the simple semantic exercise of replacing the words, 'volcano' makes little sense, while 'foundation' makes pretty good sense.

Using key words and phrases from Psalm 18, what is the most logical interpretation....

The Lord is my volcano. The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook. Smoke rose from the volcanoes vents;
consuming fire came from its mouth, burning coals blazed out of it. Dark rain clouds of the sky. Out of the brightness of the lava clouds advanced with balls of sulfur and bolts of lightning. The volcano thundered from heaven; the voice of the volcano resounded. It shot its fiery darts and scattered the enemy. With great bolts of lightning it routed them. The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth laid bare.

or...

The Lord is my rock. The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook. Smoke rose from his nostrils;
consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it. Dark rain clouds of the sky. Out of the brightness of his presence clouds advanced with hailstones and bolts of lightning. The LORD thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded. He shot his arrows and scattered the enemy. With great bolts of lightning he routed them. The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth laid bare.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Adjensen... you should know that since you left and returned we have our very own volcano worshipper on the forum now. 9/10 of her threads are about volcanoes.

Projection......YOU worship volcanoes not me.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Foghorn, I've read your threads on this, and although I see what you are getting at, I just don't see the Hebrews believing a volcano was God. There are too many problems with the theory.

The hypothesis, it seems to me, requires the Hebrews to be quite ignorant of the natural world around them. Akin to the proverbial caveman. And though I am quite skeptical of mainstream history, if we are to believe any of it at all, the Hebrews were anything but ignorant of the difference between the natural and the spiritual.

The writers of the Psalms sometimes used the natural to explain the spiritual to the reader. They likened or compared God to other things, but I don't get the impression they believed he WAS those things by any means.

Nevertheless, I too, would be quite interested in the upcoming thesis you spoke of. It could be quite interesting to read.
edit on 7/7/2012 by Klassified because: Clarity

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join