It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are some people so offended by Conspiracy Theories???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Well the word CT just is a negative slang that means reality. But spun in a way to mean Crazy. I think there's evidence enough to support tons of CT's as fact.

Like the truth is that history books are writen by the winners of the wars. So much of what we read as fact likely could be fiction as it's gonna be writen to support the ruling bodies position. So if hitler won the war that would end up being "The good guys". And the rest of the world would be the axis of evil.

yes

History = His Story

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The problem with some debunkers is they tend to act as if their word is the end all be all. So many will come into threads just to insult and belittle someone for having an opinion. It happens all the time.

They come into a thread and are automatically experts in various fields. When it is clear they are not. At all.

Problem is it comes down to opinion. Some just refuse to accept certain evidence and vehemently rail against it.

Not all skeptics/Debunkers are like that but a good amount are. And they stand out.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
reply to post by r2d246

It is years of brainwashing. The baby boomer generation is the worst about this stuff. They believe that anything on TV is true, and if they say it is false on TV, then by golly anyone talking about it is crazy.

Don't worry.

Some people will never figure it out.

They will die in ignorance.

There is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

It is hard when it is your own family, but that is they way it is.

What I have found is that some people already know what is going on and have figured it out on their own, and some people will never get it, and it is a waste of time to talk to them about it.

eh eh well put mate!!!

yes its no real concern if they never wake up

hey i like to watch the news sometimes to have a laugh, isn't it bad?
like a a child should see the lies
how is Al Jazera demonising Syria atm, geez they can go on and on and on

and oh yes The baby boomer generation

see they where educated with centries old methods, very slow, its like talking to someone from 1850
they parrot the tv because when they where young they truly knew nothing, now when they watch tv it seems to them like a flood of information that must be worshiped and like the news is REAL

talk to them on ANY topic and its a parrot of the tv

the et's study this as its not found on any other planet, our religions close the mind, we have people who live a whole life thinking they are smart and know everything there is to know BUT they know nothing
you will find most are religious in some way even if they dont admit it

in Australia we have many people who worship the royal family and you gota hear it, they have no idea

another problem with some people they work they do the family thing watch the news, read the paper and thats ALL they ever know

important:
the tv is scripted now but 30/40 years ago it was good as media ownership wasnt so concentrated, thats another reason they believe tv you need to let em know a few people own it now and not American's
they dont like the internet so you need to print a few eye openers so they stop watching tv

i watch Star Trek and Dr who though eh eh

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by canyouhandletruth

It is years of brainwashing. The baby boomer generation is the worst about this stuff. They believe that anything on TV is true, and if they say it is false on TV, then by golly anyone talking about it is crazy.

Ha. There are quite a few people younger than baby boomers who indiscriminately believe all sorts of videos they watch on the internet.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Thanks for posting and posing a challenge to my words. I do not believe that the "conspiracy" is a better way or any more true than the "mainstream."

I simply meant that there is always more than one angle to the truth (and every angle has their flaws because people are inherently susceptible to making mistakes. We have no immunity to that.) Always more than one interpretation. You are correct in that there is always an agenda attached to either point of view.

All I was saying is that the "conspiracy" is rejected because it forces the mainstream to completely turn the foundations of their trust upside down. Likewise, you could say that for a conspiracy theorist to suddenly accept all the government reports, all the MSN explanations, all the media spin-doctoring--and that everybody is telling the truth out the goodness of their heart--they, too, would have their entire worldview shaken upside down.

From either angle, it is not a pleasant prospect to change everything you believe in. The difference here is that the "conspiracy" is a minority agenda and the "mainstream" is the majority-dominant agenda.

Consider my analogy of the western doctor upholding everything he learned in med school. I did not insinuate that natural and holistic therapies are "better" or more "valid"...simply that the western doctor scoffs at them without viewing or participating in the research

Likewise, the natural, holistic healer usually scoffs at the western methods without observing and taking into consideration their tried and true effectiveness

I hope this clarifies the intent of my post. This is why the "conspiracy" is rejected...simply because it is the view of a highly select minority.

Throughout history, it has always been the views of a select minority that have been criticized, suppressed, rejected, and ridiculed. This is because the ideology of the minority threatens the ideology of the majority. Vice-versa is also true: the ideology of the majority threatens the ideology of the minority. The conspiracy theorist is among such a minority.
edit on 8-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
People get so offended because they don't want their set-in-stone world view to be flipped on it's head.
What they believe today is what they will believe tomorrow and FOREVER!

so when you propose an alternative view it's like going inside their cozy little homes and rearranging the furniture, and even tossing some of it out.

They do not appreciate it even if your new layout makes more sense than their layout which was purely aesthetic.
edit on 8-7-2012 by 08051962 because: spelling mistake

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 08051962

I'm always satisfied when someone comes and says exactly what I said in a previous post but sums it up so perfectly into a neat, little package so that people don't have to read my long, dull, and trite tirades.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Oh thank you mate! I skimmed through the first page and sorta saw that most of us had the same idea and though, why not add in my two cents?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I don't think it's accurate to talk about two monolithic groups of conspiracy theorists and the "mainstream." For example: according to polls the majority of Americans do not believe the official story of the Kennedy assassination. There have been polls showing that the majority of Americans believe the U.S. government is hiding information about UFOs. So it's not that the majority of Americans are mindlessly accepting the official narratives. But not everyone is going to believe every single conspiracy theory.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMarvel

Yes, we must always be careful (myself included) of making sweeping generalizations about any interactions between groups. Believe me, I've studied social anthro a bit. But, if more people understood that there is no "cookie-cutter" example of a group, we wouldn't have to make such broad assumptions

Thanks for pointing this out--it is something more people need to be aware of--things are not always so black and white as we like to categorize them

edit on 9-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Both groups of believers and non believers have alot of people who make generalizations about eachother I mean you have the people who don't believe calling the conspiracy theorists crack pots and paranoid then you have conspiracy theorists saying the non believers are sheep or disinfo agent. I really wish both groups could stop with the name calling because it usually screws up the thread and discussion but I doubt it will ever stop. Don't get me wrong i'm not say the majority do this but it does happen a lot more than it should.

Edit: I was just adding on to your last comment not speaking directly to you
edit on 10-7-2012 by nancyliedersdeaddog because: clarification

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join