It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why bother hiding your face on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I was going to have a picture of me up when I first joined ATS then decided against it.. I was concerned about identity issues which if you think about it logically is stupid. If someone really wanted to find out who you were because of something you posted on a conspiracy forum (lol) then a picture of yourself wouldn't be necessary.

When I see a picture of someone who's posting I get.. well the bigger picture. Which is nice.

Why don't you guys use pictures of yourselves for avatars? I could imagine some minor trolling.. but you get that on ATS anyway ;o

Would be a nice touch especially from the staff and ATS veterans/regulars.

Or am I just secret agentz?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
ATS shows secret society like qualities sometimes!

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Because it's one thing for law enforcement to trace who you are through an I.P. address, but it's another for one's employer or fellow employees, or influential people in one's own community to recognize you as the author of your posts.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
There are currently 2 very large threads with member pics on them, and its open to all, there have been many, including myself that have shared what they look like, maybe you should go take a look

ATS member photos... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Cuz some of us are butt ugly!

oO

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I say a lot of stupid things sometimes, I will admit, and don't want my stupid face next to those posts. lol

That's my reason but others will differ. Females, for example, don't like getting hit on if they have their photo up. Some don't want to come across someone who may know them in real life. Others enjoy whatever anonymity they can get. It's a variety of things.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Possibly the same reason why people don't use their real picture on FB: They sometimes find a picture that they like and decide to use it. I don't think not using your real picture as your avatar is necessarily an indication of paranoia.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golden Rule

Because it's one thing for law enforcement to trace who you are through an I.P. address, but it's another for one's employer or fellow employees, or influential people in one's own community to recognize you as the author of your posts.

What illegal things are you authoring on ATS then I have to wonder. I would think if you were posting illegal things then ATS would be on that?

Unless you mean the thought police, and well, they don't have much of a leg to stand on really, everything else that can be taken out of context is pretty much against the T&C.

And if you're the sort of person who's going to post "I plan on shooting a dozen random people over the next 12 months!" then I hope you do get caught -- not you personally, but the hypothetical you that thinks the law would for some reason spend energy, time and money tracing you because you like to meditate while polishing your weapons...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
For me I don't use a pic because I have a child getting ready to enter high school and a husband with a job.

Really. My viewpoints may not matter to anybody but me, but my husband's coworkers don't need any extra ammunition, and my daughter will probably be pleased that her future boyfriends will not think her mom is weird because "I saw her posting on ATS about Alien probes and Obamacare" last night...

I am a stay at home mom with nothing to hide, but try to think of the "worse case scenario" so I can avoid it!

edit on 6/28/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
...and don't want my stupid face next to those posts. lol

I saw your picture and your face was not that stupid. Maybe wiping the drool would have helped.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaluach

Possibly the same reason why people don't use their real picture on FB: They sometimes find a picture that they like and decide to use it. I don't think not using your real picture as your avatar is necessarily an indication of paranoia.

I was just explaining my previous reason and I'm sure a few others. The question is why don't you?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Facebook is "face" friendly .

I wonder "why" a majority of people on Facebook, decide to set their settings on Private ?

Its called preference.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

This aint Face Book

Besides, I think folks avatars tell me more about them than a picture of their face ever could.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Some of guys don't want to get hit on either

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
You wouldnt want to see most of the people, trust me.

(you would want to see AshleyD though
)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
For me I don't use a pic because I have a child getting ready to enter high school and a husband with a job.

Really. My viewpoints may not matter to anybody but me, but my husband's coworkers don't need any extra ammunition, and my daughter will probably be pleased that her future boyfriends will not think her mom is weird because "I saw her posting on ATS about Alien probes and Obamacare" last night...

I am a stay at home mom with nothing to hide, but try to think of the "worse case scenario" so I can avoid it!

edit on 6/28/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

Interesting view.. but then what are they doing signed up to ATS?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
(you would want to see AshleyD though
)

I recall you saying she looked like your future ex-wife.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I use my real picture as my avatar

truly I do

(I'm the dude with the guitar)

edit on 6/28/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Why don't you guys use pictures of yourselves for avatars?

Because this isnt facebook.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

I recall you saying she looked like your future ex-wife.

I actually did say that a few years ago. You have an amazing memory. Or maybe men always have an amazing memory where beauty is concerned.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join