It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melatonin and the Master Gland

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

Thank you, Ned. I believe so as well. I hope this time the discussion can stay on topic and be productive. Definitely an area of interest.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Informative thread, but I figured I'd mention that the 10% of our brain concept is merely a myth, therefore your point in that regard is rendered irrelevant. (en.m.wikipedia.org...)

Other than that, interesting thread.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skepticesque
Informative thread, but I figured I'd mention that the 10% of our brain concept is merely a myth, therefore your point in that regard is rendered irrelevant. (en.m.wikipedia.org...)

Other than that, interesting thread.

As we can't trust the MSM or mainstream science community to tell us the truth about issues like Fluoride or chemtrails, how can we trust them on something like the "10% of your brain is used" issue? We can't.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Thank you very much, I willl try what you recommended.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I saw this exact post on here a week ago or 2. Why is it re-posted? What is really strange is the first couple of replies in this thread are exactly the same in the older thread as well... which i read a week ago or so. Only the dates seem to have changed...

And why am i the first to comment about this? Didn´t anyone else remember the other thread which is exactly the same? Sorry i cannot seem to find that one right now but i am 100% sure i read it a week ago or so... maybe even 2-3 weeks ago.

Veritas, please explain why you posted the same exact stuff again. Unless i am going mad.

And if this is really the first time you posted this, how come i knew exactly what all the first repliers was gonna say even before i clicked on the thread ?

edit on 29-6-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
There's a side-effect to daily melatonin use that should be mentioned. I was taking about 5mg/day, getting great sleep and active dreams. Pretty cool until about two weeks in and Chrons-like symptoms started appearing. Losing control of bowels and chronic diarrhea sent me to doctors looking for answers. Was told it was diet, stress, virus but couldn't get the symptoms to subside--in fact it got worse. Figured the only thing different was melatonin use so I stopped taking it and the symptoms cleared up within a week.

It's not a common side-effect but it's one that could make life miserable. YMMV.

edit on 29-6-2012 by elmoastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

I to thought this when I first started reading, you must of skimmed over it though, the original was closed due to the breaches of ATS T&C with all the references to illegal substances. I am happy this has been reposted and this time stayed on topic. Very informative.
After reading about melatonin a few weeks ago I have researched a little more and I am strongly considering supplementing with this. I assume moderation is the key? As with all supplements.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by UsualSuspect

can melatonin be purchased in a chemist or do you need to get it prescribed by a doctor,or can you get it in a health shop,also i have no problems with sleeping,and i avoid flouride water,is it still ok for me to get melatonin tabs,do i need it?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Melatonin can be bought over-the-counter, no prescription needed. It is not recommended for long duration usage, but I have no idea what science backs up these claims, maybe it's just a CYA provision.

I have taken a form called "super sleep" which as I mentioned above is combined with 5-HTP and L-theanine for a couple years on and off, great results with no noticeable side effects. The two tabs I take contain a total of 3mg Melatonin.

About a decade ago I tried it as well, though was taking 5mg and over sometimes without the 5-HTP and L-theanine added - and had a couple of issues, like feeling really sluggish sometimes. Stopped completely taking it for a few years and restarted with this new type - and feel great.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I don't think over the counter melatonin will have such a big impact as naturally secreted melatonin from the pineal gland.

Just my 2 cents.

Good info guys keep it coming

Wish I could of read ATS all day instead of going to school for 12 years

edit on 29-6-2012 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

ah so its possible that it can make you feel drowsey and sleepy ,im not sure if i would be able to take it as i do safety critical work and im medically examined sometimes on the spot without warning,but i can find out if im allowed take it from my employer,if it makes one feel drowsey or sleepy it would then affect your concintration while your awake,i would be interested to take it as im trying to practice dream yoga,i had 2 lucid dreams in 2 weeks and my dreams are more vivid after practicing to stay in the present moment and observe that im in the body,and observe everything around me without going into past or future thinking,plus one hour a day of quieting the mind,im starting to remember a lot of my dreams,my last lucid dream i became present in the body first then i became lucid,its so hard but with practice i know i will increase my lucid dreams,thanks for reply

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid365

ah so its possible that it can make you feel drowsey and sleepy ,im not sure if i would be able to take it as i do safety critical work and im medically examined sometimes on the spot without warning,but i can find out if im allowed take it from my employer,if it makes one feel drowsey or sleepy it would then affect your concintration while your awake,i would be interested to take it as im trying to practice dream yoga,i had 2 lucid dreams in 2 weeks and my dreams are more vivid after practicing to stay in the present moment and observe that im in the body,and observe everything around me without going into past or future thinking,plus one hour a day of quieting the mind,im starting to remember a lot of my dreams,my last lucid dream i became present in the body first then i became lucid,its so hard but with practice i know i will increase my lucid dreams,thanks for reply

I believe that happened to me when I was taking too much, there might have been more reasons as well (more stress in my life). I sometimes would take 5mg +. Now it is only 3mg - and one of the great things about it compared with other sleep medications I have occasionally tried is that the effect completely wears off after about 5 hours - unlike other sleep meds where you can feel drowsy all day. Since it is a natural hormone synthesized by the body I don't think taking it would give you any adverse results for drug screening, but that is just my opinion and you should check with a doctor etc.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

It was reposted for discussion, due to Staff Intervention for T&C.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

L-Theanine also raises your Dopamine levels. A Niacin supplement helps because of Tryptophan being converted to it at a 60:1 ratio. Prevents reuptake of Tryptophan/Serotonin. Symptoms of Melatonin can depend on brand of supplement as well. Not all are as well made, ie Dollar Store brand or etc. I have a sister that lives with Chrons Disease and it's not fun. However I am not so sure that it is always the Melatonin that does this. Regardless of supplementation, gland still produces it's own Melatonin by converting the Serotonin in your spinal fluid into itself. There are other ways to increase your Melatonin production naturally via certain fruits, herbs, turkey(high in tryptophan content), vegetables.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid365

You are not supposed to take Melatonin during the daytime, especially if you planned on doing something like going to work. Melatonin is a hormone used to promote relaxation, and is what helps you sleep at night..Great in conjunction with a host of other supplements.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

do you think a person should take melatonin just for the soul purpose of having more vivid dreams,I'm thinking more vivid would promote lucidity and clarity in dreams

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I've been taking 3-5mg of Melatonin for about a year now. I am slightly psychologically dependent on it but if I had to I could sleep without it. Back when all my troubles first started, I couldn't for some reason. I'd try almost all day at times to get sleep but I would lay down and sleep for about 15 minutes then suddenly feel this electric jolt go through my body and wake me up (this was different than a hypnagogic jerk). Any way, my doctor gave me some Trazodone to try and knock out the depression and insomnia with one stone. Needless to say, it didn't work. Nothing really seemed to work at all. But then I found melatonin. It knocked me right out and was gentle. I did have vivid dreams too but that could have been a result of many things.

Any way, after this much time the melatonin doesn't effect me much in the dream department any more. I rarely even dream, unless I am just forgetting them instantly. Also, I used to take L-Theanine for my anxiety. It did help too but I haven't taken it in awhile. Both of those supplements are fine in my eyes.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

When you supplement with stuff you have to be careful you don't let your body build up immunity to it. It will help to have vivid dreams but if you aren't treating the other areas right, it would still make you not remember your dreams.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I started using melatonin after getting melanoma. Here is an interesting read on the connection.

MELANOMA & MELATONIN
www.livestrong.com...

Don't be ignorant here. Melanoma has to be removed. Melatonin is used to prevent is occurrence not cure it.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UsualSuspect

Thank you, that explains why i couldn´t find the other thread when searching. I agree this is a good thread, too bad the other one was closed. All cleared up now =) (Phew, i thought i was going mad for a sec there)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join