It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey says Jet Downing cannot be ignored

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
They don't know WHAT shot it down if it was shot down. One report said an SA-5, the Syrian Foreign Minister said guns near a beach, and that it was only 1km off shore. There is still WAY too much confusion and it's WAY too early to speculate on what was used.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
they might take out a few anti-air missile sites,
and that'll be that..best case scenario anyhow

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Turkey says jet downing cannot be ignored

www.aljazeera.com

President Abdullah Gul says his country would take the "necessary" action against Syria.

Turkish President Abdullah Gul has said it is not possible to ignore the fact that Syria shot down one of its military jets.

"It is not possible to cover over a thing like this, whatever is necessary will be done," Gul was quoted as saying by state news agency Anatolia on Saturday. It was not immediately clear where he was speaking from.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Hidden US-Israeli Military Agenda: "Break Syria into Pieces"
U.S. Military Completes Planning for Syria
edit on 6/23/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/23/2012 by semperfortis because: copy the exact headline

A good start would be to buy some newer aircraft.

Seriously they are flying F4's? Those things can barely get out of their own way much less a modern Defence system.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

The RF-4 is STILL one of the only tactical recon platforms in the world. And the F-4 is still flown by Germany (ending this year), Japan (being replaced by the F-35 through 2020), South Korea (just bid the F-X-3 to replace them), Greece (35 F-4E-PI2000 and 22 RF-4E upgrades ongoing as of 2008), Iran, Egypt, and Turkey. The original F-4 couldn't get out of the way of modern defense systems, but we're not talking about the original F-4. There have been big improvements made through the years, from new engines, to vastly improved electronic warfare systems, hence the Turkish name of Super Phantom for their F-4Es.

Mid-Life Upgrades
by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/23/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Worth a peek :Turkish warplane shot down over Syria, pilots captured

Some of you may have noted the 'evolving' nature of the narrative..... this is a sure sign of exactly what I might call "manipulation of public sentiment" aka "propaganda" aka "psyops".....

Interesting this.... because I'm starting to see exactly "who" the audience is, as opposed to "who" the actors are.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Turkey doesnt need NATO, their military is more than capable.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Xeven

The RF-4 is STILL one of the only tactical recon platforms in the world. And the F-4 is still flown by Germany (ending this year), Japan (being replaced by the F-35 through 2020), South Korea (just bid the F-X-3 to replace them), Greece (35 F-4E-PI2000 and 22 RF-4E upgrades ongoing as of 2008), Iran, Egypt, and Turkey. The original F-4 couldn't get out of the way of modern defense systems, but we're not talking about the original F-4. There have been big improvements made through the years, from new engines, to vastly improved electronic warfare systems, hence the Turkish name of Super Phantom for their F-4Es.

Mid-Life Upgrades
by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/23/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

It is still a flying box!
Evidently the upgrdes did not help it avoid getting downed by what ever means where used to bring it down.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Turkey doesnt need NATO, their military is more than capable.

But Nato needs turkey .. this is the whole difference
arms shipment to the terrorists fighting Assad
most of them come from turkey

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
removed
edit on 23-6-2012 by paradiselost333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

Very interesting read indeed! Do the russians still have a floatilla in tartus? I know they sent an aircraft carrier there last november? The fireworks might kick-off around there.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A 40+ year old jet gets shot down with no loss of life, seems a good and cheep way to start a war. Just something to think about

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ranong

I know they sent an aircraft carrier there last november?

Russia has a carrier?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
THE SYRIAN PRESIDENT already confirmed that they shot down the fighter plane. They said " they didn't know it was Turkish plane" they thought it was hostile after they shot it down they realized it was Turkish. Even tho i am Turkish i still don't get like other why is our plane flying so low in a war zone trying to be shot and then starting # with them?? if you are going to start a war be direct and be like i don't like what you're doing to your people and go a head. too much mind games...and where did you guys get the information that it was the Russians? Turkey and Russia is in very good terms like no other there will be no war between Russian and Turkey we don't even have visa between two countries. Well someone needs to stop Syria anyway i guess it will be turkey then that's if they are not bluffing.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by imod02

LOL that's funny. and sadly it is kind of true..but someone has to stop Syria anyway. They are being too much to their people.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Just looked at the Turkish new and Syria is trying to calm the situation down and they say.. " it was an accident, we didn't know"

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Didnt see this posted yet, was on LL and i saw this.

You can hear some gun fire and then pointing towards the sky off the coast of the beach. After that they begin celebrating.

Video

Syrian army forces firing at a Turkish airplane which was shot down yesterday. 6-22-12

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
that place is a hot bed for potential conflicts that can lead to WW III.

i cant forsee anything good comin out of syria except for some kind of war eventually

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingKaan
Just looked at the Turkish new and Syria is trying to calm the situation down and they say.. " it was an accident, we didn't know"

Of course they say that, they are staring down the barrel of the full might of NATO and are about to be annihilated.

This incident should demonstrate how easy it is for NATO to jump in at a moments notice with their entire might and wipe the mat with anyone in the region. Iran should be shaking in their boots.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Turkish airforce knows very well where the plane went down, and whether it was over Syrian airspace or not. If you send a recon flight into or near a potentially hostile territory, there is no way you are not going to monitor its every movement. My guess is that it was brought down in Syrian airspace, which is why Turkey was so slow to come out with a statement, and an unclear one at that. If that is the case, then it is fair game and Turkey does not have sufficient justification to do crap about it.

So you can all stop your WW3 predictions and iminent war theories. Turkey is not going to start a war over this. Also, bringing Turkey into the mix with the internal conflict in Syria could make things far more complicated and unpredictable

And I believe that Syrian anti-air capability is better than many think. Turkey alone does not have the resource and needed military assets to take on the Syrian air defenses without sizeable losses. And if the rest NATO decides to participate, it will do it on its own terms and out of its own interests.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
Of course they say that, they are staring down the barrel of the full might of NATO and are about to be annihilated.

Do you know how much it costs to unleash the "full might of NATO"? Now who in NATO do you think is willing to put down the $$$ right now? And what are their primary priorities? To avenge a single plane that probably violated sovereign airspace?

In either case a ground incursion by NATO can most likely be ruled out anytime soon. And airstrikes like in Libya are hardly "full might". When did airstrikes ever annihilate the leadership of a country or key figures in recent years? They didn't kill Milosevich, they they didn't kill Bin Laden, they didn't kill Saddam, nor Khaddafi. They could make things very tough for Assad, but will not directly annihilate him.

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
This incident should demonstrate how easy it is for NATO to jump in at a moments notice with their entire might and wipe the mat with anyone in the region. Iran should be shaking in their boots.

NATO is very wary of full-scale ground invasions, especially in Syria and Iran. Large number of casualties will be unavoidable. Also it is not as easy as you describe. Look at Iraq - months of preparation and billions of dollars in logics support is necessary before the fighting even starts. And most NATO members will likely opt out, because as I said they got other priorities.

Both sides will play this incident down. Turkey is likely embarassed, and will not seek to escalate it beyond some angry fist shaking.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join