It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Go Into Space in the Name of Science Even if You Knew You Wouldn't Return?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
NO

There is so much to do on earth rather than fulfilling my selfishness to see planet umPoih. Plus I know I wont make it there!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
As long as theres a cool easy girl going with. id love to go on that mars mission.

That's just it. I would want to go alone. My luck I'd have five gay male astronauts with me, and two seconds before lift off one of them would hand me a jar of vaseline and then say, Congrats! You're the butt boy!

Yikes!

Thinking further on this, it would make me a true asstronaut.

edit on 6/22/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
depends on the purpose of the mission really, what is our destination?
what role are we fufilling? what will be learned from this experience?

I think I would if the mission was to last for more then a couple decades or if the chances of dying before reaching the destination were slim.

also be aware, it would be months before you saw the first planet, and then after years of endless black darkness.

you'd mostly be looking at the maps of planetary systems that your great grandkid's children MIGHT look at if a malfunction doesn't occur 10 minutes after liftoff.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Seriously why would you sacrifice your life to see something you have somewhat seen before? I'm not saying being in space wouldnt be an awesome breath taking experience, but really, the space we can currently travel to, is somewhat boring in comparison to the places we cannot travel. Assuming we could travel anywhere we have seen pictures of, then it would be an even greater ineffable spectacle. Still, i wouldn't underestimate the psychological effects of such an extended time in solitude, awaiting your decay.

To edit, if the pod could hook up to the Internet, and you never lost radio Comm with anyone back on earth, then you can substitute many areas missing from earth.
edit on 22-6-2012 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by phroziac
As long as theres a cool easy girl going with. id love to go on that mars mission.

That's just it. I would want to go alone. My luck I'd have five gay male astronauts with me, and two seconds before lift off one of them would hand me a jar of vaseline and then say, Congrats! You're the butt boy!

Yikes!

Just me and a girl i can get along with. I dont think id be happy with never ever ever ever getting to cuddle up with a girl...let alone the sex. And i think wed get over our differences pretty quick. Maybe we could date for a couple years first.

What if something happened and killed our radios. Id be awfully lonely. Yeah like what if we launched off and a couple months later theres a major revolution on earth and thr citizens take over in every country. And remember the locust plague after gadhaffi was killed? What if the new government just forgets we exist?

I cant possibly imagine having the technology to go interstellar but not communicate back to earth. Seems like thatd be easier than the interstellar travel.

The way i see it honestly, id go to mars and start a colony, just me and my future girlfriend. Over the course of several years more ships would come, bringing more people, supplies, and building materials. Itd be kind of pointless to just send some people there and then no one else.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I am not sure...

I would not do it unless there was lightspeed since it took Voyager launched in the 70's to exit our solar system. I would if the ship was capable of making a decent spped becuase it is a really big universre out there and I don't want to get there dead or my ancestors in 5 generations!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Seriously, I would need a mission to accomplish and the technology to do it. Like, melting into the ice of a Jovian moon to see what lives in the oceans there. I would agree to that without a second thought.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Nope! Cause within days it would be posted on ATS it never happened...it was done in Hollywood!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Sign me up. Not even a second thought. To have a chance to help the advancement of mankind there is no question.

Hopefully in the near future such efforts to colonize the Moon, Mars, Venus...etc will end all war here on Earth.
When we have a universal goal, fighting and bickering(war) amongst ourselves seems to disappear.

Great thread S&F

edit on 22-6-2012 by scoodoo20 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2012 by scoodoo20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
it s already happening their will be a colony on mars in 10 years they know how they are getting their but ther is no return trip its a one way ticket,and they will spend the rest of their lives on mars apparently by 2033 20 people will be living the rest of their days on mars.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
There is a group of Scientists who think that we should not bother with the moon and go straight for a one-way trip to Mars to start a Colony. It's harder to bring people back then it is to just build a one way base. Eventually Mars might have something we can turn into fuel and fly back.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
A whole lot of yes.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Yes everything is better then this Prison Planet, leave this human cancer infested planet.
Maybe I can do more good in the vacuum of space, then here on earth.
Let me get out of here in the name of science

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Not coming back? Depends largely upon what "not coming back" entails...

As some sort of guinea pig? Nope. As one of a group of colonists, or something of the sort? In a heartbeat.

edit on 6/25/2012 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Would You Go Into Space in the Name of Science Even if You Knew You Wouldn't Return?

Hell yea I would, what would I have to loose?
Maybe I would crash on a planet with just females and then some brown chicken brown cow

edit on 25-6-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
For the adventure I would be in!!!!, the prospect of going it alone would be mind numbing, do you have contact with earth, are there other people on this voyage with me, am I in control of said flight or just along for the ride. So many superlatives, to think about, but if given the oppertunity I still think without a second thought I'd sign up cause heck the options on planet Terre seem to be dwindling so why the heck not!!!

SaneThinking

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

I was wondering how many other people would do this? No ifs no buts but a cold lonely death in space in exchange for the chance to truely see beyond our own planet.

@Would You Go Into Space in the Name of Science Even if You Knew You Wouldn't Return? Not for SCIENCE, but if there was a risky task that would benefit many in a supportive way that may require the sacrifice of 1 it may be considered. But to just do it to go into space for observation/evaluation reasons I dont think so.

edit on 6/25/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: mat changed to may

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I would if i'd be invite by a friendly race to their homeworld and beyond to explore...

..and they'd have hot female aliens :d

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join