It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Go Into Space in the Name of Science Even if You Knew You Wouldn't Return?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If NASA, ESA or similar were to approach you and offer you a one way trip into space, would you take it? I mean going into the mission knowing that you would die out there alone. I have often thought about this myself and my thirst for seeing beyond our planet is that high that I believe I could give my life for it. If there was a mission to send us as far into space as they possibly could with no plans of a return, I think I would accept in a heartbeat. Earth is great and there is much beauty in it, but space is far beyond that, I could easily sacrifice my life just to see it with my own eyes.

I was wondering how many other people would do this? No ifs no buts but a cold lonely death in space in exchange for the chance to truely see beyond our own planet.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
i would do it in a heart beat!

i rather live out there for 15 sec than live in this planet for 70 yrs~

Plus, ill be like first man on a planet and such
ill see things that no one see, go to places where no one has gone before!

Ill be happy to volunteer!! ill even pay them money!! whatever i have.
edit on 6/22/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
A cold, lonely death is a higher price than I would want to pay to see space while in actual space. I can somewhat understand the draw for other folks though. The pictures we have are magnificent indeed.

I would be far more interested in seeing what is at the bottom of our own oceans.
To each his own.

ETA - That I wouldn't want to wear the concrete shoes for that either. I am a big scaredy cat like that.

edit on 6/22/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

They don't let people sacrifice themselves for something with meaning. They will send any kind of animal but not a willing human even a death row inmate. I find this really stupid myself. Sometimes we value human life out of all proportion and it is probably because of religion.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Brilliant post, michael1983 !

If I could guarantee to survive to see all the planets and moons of our solar system, in close up, then yes, without thinking about it !

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I guess it would depend on where we might be going to.

I think I recall a story not long ago about the idea of sending a group on a one way trip to colonize Mars with no hope of returning. That would be very interesting to do.

On the other hand, just sending someone up so scientist could monitor them while they die in space would not be so desireable.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Maybe when I'm old, since my kids will be grown and no longer need me around, hellyeah.

Or if I found out I had cancer or something. Shoot me off in a rocket with some hash brownies and I'll take lots of pretty pictures to send back.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
No way.

That would be a nightmare, I have too much to live for then be shot off into the unknown. If there was a chance to make it, and the chance was greater then 70%, then yes.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

It is more a question of fantasy as this would likely never happen, but I myself could not think of anything more worth the sacrifice of your own life than to see the other planets and stars with your own eyes without the need of a telescope. I can stare at the milky way for hours on a clear night and that keeps me content even from the surface of our planet with no visual enhancements. To see it for real, well I'd give anything for that.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
As long as theres a cool easy girl going with. id love to go on that mars mission.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If we could be put into some kind of suspended state so that we could travel vast distances then sign me up right now please.

Otherwise due to our limited life span I'd say no. We couldnt even reach another galaxy with our present tech.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
i'm waiting for the call. not that it will come.

we're not advanced enough religiously to send someone on a one-way trip. there would likely be years of ethical battles before it would even be considered.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
yes
without a second thought

and not "for science" but because i want to go to see and learn for myself
the last thing humanity should be doing right now is colonizing space and begin spreading our retarded bs across the universe we need to be kept under lock and key until we grow the F*%# up

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Count me in.....

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
As long as each person was provided their own sexual servant specifically designated to that one person. If individuals decide to swap then so be it.

As long as there was a sustainable garden of fruits, vegetables,grains and nut trees, unlimited drinking water, soap, toothpaste and brushes.

A Dr. specializing in all fields on board with a medical clinic within all tols to do any job needed.

An Optometrist with all relevant labs and eyewear/contact solution, or lasik correction tools.

A Chemist, with all relevant chemicals and a lab with limitless supply and tools.

A Full on Gym, Pool, Sauna, Wirlpool, Showers, towels and machine washer/dryer.

A complete Kitchen with freezer and a large number of deep freezers.

A clothing and shoe designer with enough tools for limitless clothing and footwear.

limitless seed

Limitless fish and poultry (aquarium and large integrated hen house)

Limitless Library and DVD/mp3 collection

A Weekly report of The ATS twitter account!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by misfitofscience

you don't want much, do you?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
if i had a smoke, a drink and oodles of great books, then maybe i would. would be far out.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Sign me up. I would rather work on a huge ship with a purpose than be a cog in this pointless machine we have boxed ourselves into.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I am kind of envious of the isolation it would give you. I often enjoy being alone more than with other people.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by misfitofscience

No dentist then !

You are going to need something the size of the " Nostromo ". to accommodate your " Bare essentials ! "

( Watch out for things that lurk in dark corners though...)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join