It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Faced with Paying 7.5 Billion Back to Farmers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pigraphia
reply to post by Anonymous404

I love how with one side of their a## the government tells us what we can and can't put in our bodies and with the other side they let a company produce GMO food and bully farmers who won't grow their GMO crops.
Or sue farmers who accidentally grow them or any other number of things.

Personally I'm on the fence with GMO food, I can see the benefits of it, and the negative aspects of it.
So as long as there is a choice for the public and they can pick one or the other I'm fine.

I just don't like that the company strong arms people and doesn't take steps to prevent the spread of their GMO pollen.

Don't be so quick to be "fine" with it. Monsanto products have been directly linked to the catastrophic collapse of honey-bee colonies world-wide. No bees = no pollination = no more food = death of humanity. Monsanto GMO corn is specifically designed to ward off honey-bees and prevent pollination. In no way is this "choice" good for anyone on this planet.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Good, I hope they are forced to repay these farmers... but I highly doubt they will be paying out such a large sum of money any time soon. They will completely desert Brazil before such a thing happens imo...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Monsanto Faced with Paying 7.5 Billion Back to Farmers

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ABOVE TOP SECRET FOR TELLING ME ABOUT THIS!!!

i love the news i hear here!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Even for someone like me who has no great problem with GMO, Monsanto's tactics and extortion stink.

If this is true & actually happens then it will be a good thing (tm) IMO

Do you understand how propagation and genetics control plant viability? Monsanto has engineered plants to be resistant to bugs and disease, but they also contaminate the local indigenous species with their pollen. That means that the plants that have grown for thousands of years or more are now dying from the cross-pollination from GMO seeds. You have to be completely blind to genetics to think GMO is alright and does not pose a problem in and of itself.

As far as the business practices, they are as bad as the IMF or CIA and they spread their ideology like a disease throughout our corporate America. So every corporation looks at what Monsanto gets away with and they do the same thing. Business in America is just as out of control as the government who is SUPPOSED to REGULATE them. But money finds it's way to the regulators and they look the other way or change the rules to make it ok to do whatever they do to dominate the market.

Now that's a lot of Gaul!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by draco49

Originally posted by Pigraphia
reply to post by Anonymous404

I love how with one side of their a## the government tells us what we can and can't put in our bodies and with the other side they let a company produce GMO food and bully farmers who won't grow their GMO crops.
Or sue farmers who accidentally grow them or any other number of things.

Personally I'm on the fence with GMO food, I can see the benefits of it, and the negative aspects of it.
So as long as there is a choice for the public and they can pick one or the other I'm fine.

I just don't like that the company strong arms people and doesn't take steps to prevent the spread of their GMO pollen.

Don't be so quick to be "fine" with it. Monsanto products have been directly linked to the catastrophic collapse of honey-bee colonies world-wide. No bees = no pollination = no more food = death of humanity. Monsanto GMO corn is specifically designed to ward off honey-bees and prevent pollination. In no way is this "choice" good for anyone on this planet.

I don't know where you found out that the corn plants were modified to prevent bees from pollinating it. That is completely false since the plants need pollination to be viable and produce fruit. Note this exerpt from WIKI:

"The study of pollination brings together many disciplines, such as botany, horticulture, entomology, and ecology. The pollination process as an interaction between flower and vector was first addressed in the 18th century by Christian Konrad Sprengel. It is important in horticulture and agriculture, because fruiting is dependent on fertilisation, which is the result of pollination." en.wikipedia.org...

The bees died because they could not tolerate the chemicals used to kill bugs or fertilize the crops IMO. The same thing happens to birds in Jacksonville Fl. As they fish in the waters their feathers get wet. After some time their wax is removed from their feathers and they get saturated with water causing hypothermia and eventually death. Their off spring will starve or eventually suffer the same death because of the contaminants making their way into the surrounding bodies of water. What is worse is the contaminants making their way into the aquifer further contaminating ground water.

Genetics affect a plant through viability. A species can be genetically modified in one season with cross pollination. That can make them more susceptible to disease or other bugs that they had been resistant to in the past. Chemicals leave the plant and work their way into the water table due to natural rain events. When chemicals are on the plants the bugs or bees etc. get exposed to them and bring the contaminants with them back to their nest. This in turn destroys the queen in the case of bees.

Genetics usually takes many generations in nature. Introducing a new species is almost always disastrous for some other indigenous species as history has shown us. Even though many people have warned of the problems associated with reckless behavior by Monsanto and others, the regulators have sided with their bosses or the ones signing their paychecks. It is laughable to think a regulator paid by the people he regulates would impart any fair judgement in any given situation concerning his employer.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Did the contract not specify how long royalties should be paid? Gmo products are going down, if I had 50 grand Id bet against Monsanto. Just look at how many organic markets are opening up now who don't push Gmo products. Trader Joes, central market, sprouts, not to mention small farmer markets.

People are turning away from Gmo products, even if they have to pay a premium. The market is against them now.
edit on 21-6-2012 by becomingaware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Even for someone like me who has no great problem with GMO, Monsanto's tactics and extortion stink.

If this is true & actually happens then it will be a good thing (tm) IMO

I don't think there is any better word for it, other than Extortion. They go in to ravaged farmlands and "donate" their super-GMO crop.. only for the farmers to find out that sooner or later, only GMO crops work in the soil. Then Monsanto steps back in.. "Well, you know, you can always just buy from us.. for.. you know, forever.."

In the US, they're pretty gross too.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
i should get a cuppla million for ingesting their sh#t w/out knowledge - ignorance is not always as blissful as it sounds.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Great news I've heard all day :-D.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Monsanto Corporation needs to be completely, and unmercifully destroyed.

There can be no compromise, no co-existence, no negotiation. The company is a direct, relentless, lethal threat to all carbon based life on this planet. Its' charter needs to be revoked, and its' board of directors jailed for the rest of their lives.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Does anyone know if this information is reliable? Anyway, we all know Monsanto is a monopoly, do their funds from their already own companies get mixed in with their company profits, or is that separate? I was reading somewhere they used to own the Mercenary group Blackwater.

But we can do better as Americans at least. I think over 20 countries in Europe have banned Monsanto, including Hungary which burned down all their fields. Really the American public needs to be educated instead of being glued to the tube with Kim kardashian.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by draco49

The reason is because Monsatan do not believe in Capitalism where the consumer would have the knowledge and responsibility to reject or except their products.

Otherwise, they would have anything they tampered with labeled with their name stamped on it.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
You never know for sure, but I think in the beginning Monsanto had the idea to manipulate the genetics of seeds to be able to produce high yielding crops that were insect resistant. I think that was the goal primarily. THEN..... the pencil pushers figured if you could modify it so that it would not produce viable seed for your next crop..... you (Monsanto) could corner the supply market. The farmer would have to buy Monsanto's seed every year. Then they sought to modify against pests...... this is where they crossed the line and made both unviable harvested seed and toxic crop growth. The cross pollination is something that can NOT be prevented, as Bees and pollinating insects are able to travel anywhere. That's just how it is, and can not be controlled ......period, ever !

When the bankers had control of the R&D and knew they could have the Monsanto scientists manipulate the seed in ways that would be favorable to them $$$, all concerns for toxicity were thrown out the window. If they had a seed that would only produce one crop, and the seed from that adult crop was not viable for the succeeding year, they had the farmer over a barrel, he would have to buy seed all over again. And that is exactly what Monsanto did. Now they have built such a monopoly, that they control pretty much all of commercial farming seed distribution. And yea, why do they need to hide the ingredients on food produced from their GE crops? Is there something that the public needs to know that would alert them of the dangers and toxicity of products that were made from GM crops.?

I see nothing but blatant corrupt bankers and politicians being able to get them out of this. I think the public will be dissappointed once again and a Corporate reaming of the farmer will ensue once again.

I think in the beginning, the mission was a noble one...... leave it to greed though.......just saying.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Finally something is done to repay their crimes

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

They owe the world much, much more than that. These monsters have genetically engineered pesticides into crops like corn, which harm the environment, kill the bees and poison those who eat it. And this is just what we know about. Imagine what they have done that is undisclosed. Further, they have put most traditional farmers out of business through monopolistic practices and shady tactics.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

no - it is about the ongoing "royalties" paid year after year AFTER buying the seed

Yes, sorry, I knew that but somehow managed to explain it badly in my rush to type it out, shut down the computer and go to work.

But at least its nice to know there is one other person in this thread who actually knows what the story is really about.
Everyone else seems to think farmers are suing for damages, contamination or something like that.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Never thought I'd see this headline to be honest. TPTB have so many of themselves looking out for each other, evil could even hide behind the face of your neighbor. They should also send a $10,000 check to each American for killing all the nutrients in our foods.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Come on, they are a corporation, better to just demonize them!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join