It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal crisis over Julian Assange's asylum request

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

Very well put, sir.

reply to post by PsykoOps

reply to post by PrinceDreamer

You both may be correct about many things and I may well be wrong. Perhaps I am angry because it was my nations flaws exposed that really strikes a nerve. I have not seen any other nations confidential and secret files aired in public, so I am not sure about the whole "world wide" information sharing. The defense that he has "broken no laws" is the very reason he should want as much publicity as possible and a trial. If his claims are true then he should be demanding the ability to defend himself in public.

I see him as a man that saw an opportunity at fame and took it. That plan backfired and now he is back peddling and trying to save himself. But, that is my opinion formed from information presented to me.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by eyeinoz

Definately agree we should bring him back to OZ, but don't tell our government to puck off you should say that to the Americans, ffs America stop interfering with our country!!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by robhines
How is he going to get out of the UK from the embassy without the coppers getting hold of him? Not sure how that's going to be possible. I hope he manages it somehow anyway.

If they grant asylum he will have "safe passage" right?

BTW - I doubt that he went in there without some kind of a "pre-arrangement" on the part of the Ecuadorains. Otherwise they might have easily turned him away -

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

face his accusers

You must be kidding...what are we talking about here? He would be tried as a terrorist, and that's if he ever gets to court.

What has facing accusers brought to Manning ? Torture and suffering, and he will never be free again.

You live in a fantasy world, where truth, honesty and integrity rule....but unfortunately...it is not this world.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I suspect he's innocent.. his fear isn't so much the rape trial, it's that Sweden will then agree to allow him to be extradited to the united states where he thinks he could face the death penalty for leaking all of the secret cables.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitruvian

Originally posted by robhines
How is he going to get out of the UK from the embassy without the coppers getting hold of him? Not sure how that's going to be possible. I hope he manages it somehow anyway.

If they grant asylum he will have "safe passage" right?

BTW - I doubt that he went in there without some kind of a "pre-arrangement" on the part of the Ecuadorains. Otherwise they might have easily turned him away -

If he's granted political asylum by Ecuador then yes he will be safe to travel to Ecuador, but once there he wouldn't really have anywhere else he could go safely..

Update:

I'm wrong apparently

Once he leaves the embassy, however, Assange can be arrested and detained by the UK authorities under UK law, regardless of how Ecuador may have determined his request for asylum.

In addition, it may be that Ecuador is legally obliged, if requested, to surrender Assange to the UK authorities. According to the international court of justice, (although contrary to Ecuador's contentions) the granting of diplomatic asylum is an intervention in a state's internal affairs, and diplomats are not obliged to assist in the course of justice in their host state. However, the 1961 Vienna convention on diplomatic relations, to which both Ecuador and the UK are parties, requires that diplomats respect their host state's laws and regulations.

www.guardian.co.uk...

He might be screwed either way.
edit on 6/20/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I read on RT.com that it's a logical choice for asylum (I think by this they mean the most likely place he'll go for asylum) because of...

The South American nation has already once offered Assange residency. In November 2010, Deputy Foreign Minister Kintto Lucas said his country is "open to giving him [Assange] residency in Ecuador". Lucas also said Ecuador was "very concerned" by information revealed by Wikileaks linking US diplomats with spying on friendly governments.

Of course, Ecuador supposedly may have trouble keeping its own promises because

“They’ve got an extradition agreement with the US anyway, so I’m not quite sure what he wants to do,” Lashmar said. “I think this is one of the last options he has probably got.”
(also from that article.

But Assange's mother says (that Australia is a US puppet among other things):

Ecuador I believe does have an extradition treaty, but if it’s ascertained from the investigation that the person seeking asylum is actually a political prisoner, then they don’t hand that prisoner over. Now this is something that many nations have signed up to, but a lot of them aren’t actually acting upon it, including the UK.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
There are several aspects to Julian's case. Only by breaking them up can one search for an informed opinion or judgement.

1. Julian is innocent till proven guilty.

Julian was accused of a crime in Sweden. The Swedish authority has the right to question him or even extradict him. However, he is ALSO widely known to be WANTED by US for publishing leaked national security documents, which makes him a political oppressed figure, if in the hands of the US gov, may get the death sentence as treason is a capital crime there.

While US has a transparent judical system, no ordinary human can hope to mount any defence against the might of US hell bent on applying the death sentence, for those leaks were embarassing in the least and damaging to reputations of world leaders at worst.

At the same time, Julian had courageously proved to the world of international govt's hypocrisies, something many would need to know so that mankind can wake up and put away their rose tinted glasses. He hurt or harmed no one, and if those leaks had hurt someone, it was those whom were mentioned, are the actual culprits of such harm. The messenger only carries the message. It's the one who wrote the message that is to be blamed for repercussions.

As such, for his own safety due to highly dangerous circumstances surrounding his case, his legal advisors had instead invited the Swedish authorities over to UK to question Julian, afterall, he is still innocent. But interestingly, the Swedish authorities rejected it and had not put up any guarantee that Julian WILL NOT be extradiated to US.

Thus, while Sweden operates a transparent judicial system under normal circumstances, it seems highly suspicious that under these unusual mitigatable circumstances, it chosed to opaque, leaving Julian and many other humans distrustful of the Swedish govt's stance on judicial fairness and transparency.

2. Julian may had jump bail and will have the bond forfietted. ITS ONLY MONEY!, for crying out loud, for those who scream Julian is screwing others' money. Money can always be earned back or repaid over time, but if a life is lost, it is FOREVER. Heck! I'm not a rich man, but I would donate some of my wages to help him repay those funds, if it could save his life.

Tyrants around the world thought that money is the weakness of mankind and would use it to control, manipulate and enslave humanity. I say go screw themselves. WIthout money, there is nothing much, but a human does not need much. We came into this world with nothing, and will leave with nothing as well. Thus money isnt everything. There are still things money can never buy.

3. Julian had committed no crime in UK. He had hurt or harmed no one in UK, or even accused of anything. He fled to the foreign embassy as a last resort, for he feared for his life. There is absolutely no conscionable reason for UK to ask him out or to stop him from leaving in a diplomatic car to the airport to board a plane to that foreign nation.

There is no reason to extradiate Julian to US by UK, for Julian had not committed any crime on american soil, or hurt/harm any american, other than being a publisher of materials supplied to him. Julian is no terrorist or indulging in gathering bombs and sucide bombers to strike at USA.

He is only a man of letters. Is the current govt of USA frightened by mere words published by a human, the way Stalin and other tyrants around the world for centuries even till today tremble in fear of intellectuals and truths? And UK equally willing to play a lapdog to such tyranny to bully an unarmed civilian?

End the persecution now! It's more embarassing than the leaks as it drags on, showing how mentally corrupted and fearful govts are in the face of truths.
edit on 20-6-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

Yeh I saw that interview, the President of Ecuador, Rafael Correa, came across very well and seems to be very much working in the interests of his people and not the globalist cabal.
I think he chose to go there as Ecuador reportedly offered him residency two years ago.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Points to note: Swedish authorities have the right to question him and he has offered to be questioned. JA has even been to sweden for questioning. Without any reason they refuse to question him and want him detained in sweden instead.
Also he hasn't been charged with a crime in US. There is a rumor of a secret grand jury thought. What is the problem is that if he is detained by sweden then US can ask him for a "loaner" and we wouldn't hear from him again. Congressional research service themselves investigated WL and found nothing they could pin on them. Makes that grand jury rumor quite scary.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
But, being questioned by police (especially on sexual offenses) isn't, nor should it be, done on the accused person's time. Not in Sweden, not in America. No matter how much money you have.

Everyone in the thread so far as agreed that he is innocent in the USA.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There's nothing that would stop swedish authorities from questioning him in Uk. No prison time needed. That's kinda the point. For without any explanation or charge they want him detained in sweden.

[Edit to add] If I faced that scenario I'd high tail it to the furthers corner of the planet too.
edit on 20/6/2012 by PsykoOps because: add

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
Definately agree we should bring him back to OZ, but don't tell our government to puck off you should say that to the Americans, ffs America stop interfering with our country!!!!

Assange has not been accused of a sex crime in Australia. I am sure Assange could return to Oz at his own pace when he has demonstrated his innocence in a Swedish court.

Assange’s run to the Ecuadorian embassy stinks of desperation because he must know Ecuador would only process asylum if he could demonstrate persecution and he’s not being persecuted.

Oh, I know Assange is painting a picture that this is all some dastardly plot to transport him to the USA via Sweden, but there’s no evidence that this would happen.

Assange should face the music. The fact that he is protesting this much merely reinforces my belief he’s got something to hide with regards the involvement in a over allegations of rape and sexual assault. These are serious allegations and are not victimless and the independent Swedish judicial system is grown up enough to conduct a fair trial.

Regards

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
There's nothing that would stop swedish authorities from questioning him in Uk. No prison time needed. That's kinda the point. For without any explanation or charge they want him detained in sweden.

[Edit to add] If I faced that scenario I'd high tail it to the furthers corner of the planet too.
edit on 20/6/2012 by PsykoOps because: add

If I raped a chick and fled the country, and a manhunt began, and they found me in another country, I'd have to be extradited. Why wouldn't he? They wouldn't skype me and say "did you do it? where were you this night? you sure?" and everything would be fine. Nope. I'd end up in a holding cell, then questioned.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Are you aware of the allegations ?

From what I know what he is being accused of doing would not be criminal in the UK........Mind you that's if I'm aware of the TRUE allegations

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

I know, but in Sweden it is.

Talking a girl into sleeping with you isn't illegal in the USA either.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

1) He hasn't been charged with anything. He is wanted for questioning. 2) He didn't flee the country. He went and co-operated with the investigation and they themselves said he was good to leave. 3) They dont have to skype. They can talk face to face too.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I understand that...but I also know of many people who have had to "come downtown for questioning" while not being formally charged.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Exactly. Makes one wonder why swedes would want him detained instead of just questioned.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Well we should find out today what is happening with him, well at least what is happening about his asylum request. The Ecuadorian president has stated he will give his ruling on the matter today.

Ecuador's government has said it will make a decision on the fate of the Wikileaks founder, Julian Assange, shortly.

Mr Assange is at the country's embassy in London, where he is seeking asylum to prevent him being sent to Sweden to answer accusations of assault.

Police say he faces arrest for breaching his bail conditions.

BBC Link to story

The reaction of the UK and the USA will be interesting if Ecuadore do grant asylum

<< 1    3 >>

join