It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite storm 'smashed the Earth 12,000 years ago and killed off a prehistoric people'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Well here is a new one. I wonder how his may have impacted others around the globe? Could some Religions have been formed because of this event? The more we dig, the more we realize just how little we really know about our more recent prehistoric past...

Your thoughts?
Meteorite storm 'smashed the Earth 12,000 years ago and killed off a prehistoric people'

*Scientists find 'melt-glass' in 12,000-year-old rock

*Melt glass forms at 1,700 degrees - equal to atomic bomb

* Meteorites thought to have triggered a cold snap that killed off early civilisation and giant animals

Scientists have found compelling evidence that a meteorite storm hit the earth more than 12,000 years ago, and is likely to have been responsible for the extinction of a prehistoric people and giant animals including mammoths.

Evidence of the meteorite’s intense heat was found on two continents. The researchers believe the huge cosmic impact triggered a vicious cold snap, which caused widespread destruction.

The international team found a substance known as melt glass, which forms at temperatures of 1,7000 to 2,200 degrees Celcius and can result from a ‘cosmic body’ hitting the earth.

edit on 17-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Maybe it was a comet that exploded?

New scientific findings suggest that a large comet may have exploded over North America 12,900 years ago, explaining riddles that scientists have wrestled with for decades, including an abrupt cooling of much of the planet and the extinction of large mammals.

According to the scientists, the comet before fragmentation must have been about four kilometers across, and either exploded in the atmosphere or had fragments hit the Laurentide ice sheet in the northeastern North America. Wildfires across the continent would have resulted from the fiery impact, killing off vegetation that was the food supply of many of larger mammals like the woolly mammoths, causing them to go extinct. Since the Clovis people of North America hunted the mammoths as a major source of their food, they too would have been affected by the impact. Their culture eventually died out.

phys.org...

All I know is something happened then.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well science has determined that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah was most likely a meteor exploding in the upper atmosphere (or even struck), so it's wholly (holy, lol) possible.

(In reference to your religious suggestion)
edit on 16/6/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Well science has determined that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah was most likely a meteor exploding in the upper atmosphere (or even struck), so it's wholly (holy, lol) possible.
edit on 16/6/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

DUDE whoaa...

dude whoa this whole thread.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I saw a documentary that was about this. They found tiny meteorite fragments in the tusks of mammoths.
That, they said, was evidence of a large strike that killed off the larger animals. The reason they couldn't find a crater was due to the angle of entry and the ice sheet covering the region at the time.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I saw a documentary that was about this. They found tiny meteorite fragments in the tusks of mammoths.
That, they said, was evidence of a large strike that killed off the larger animals. The reason they couldn't find a crater was due to the angle of entry and the ice sheet covering the region at the time.

Like this,

Bullet-like pieces of what is thought to be an ancient meteorite shower have been found embedded in mammoth tusks and bison bone. The discovery of the 2–5 millimetre holes left by meteorites opens a window into a impact event thought to have happened over Alaska and Russia tens of thousands of years ago. And it could provide a whole new way to chart impacts from space.

www.nature.com...

Just saw your reply above and your other thread,you thread whore.

edit on 16-6-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Ever think of the possibilities of a super nova flash...that would decimate everything above ground at least....There were ancient bones found in India that were laced with radiation and also melted rock that met similarities to nuclear explosions...hmmm...major solar engulfment
......dam,look at the moon.Has any of those craters been dated?(
samples please)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
Ever think of the possibilities of a super nova flash...that would decimate everything above ground at least....There were ancient bones found in India that were laced with radiation and also melted rock that met similarities to nuclear explosions...hmmm...major solar engulfment
......dam,look at the moon.Has any of those craters been dated?(
samples please)

Well,more like a gamma ray blast would do the trick.

"A gamma-ray burst originating within 6,000 light years from Earth would have a devastating effect on life," said Dr. Adrian Melott of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Kansas. "We don't know exactly when one came, but we're rather sure it did come -- and left its mark. What's most surprising is that just a 10-second burst can cause years of devastating ozone damage."

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

dude where do you get this stuff?!?!

Who is this Slayer guy?

S&F... Again...

Crazy stuff man

On a roll tonight eh...

edit on 16-6-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
confirming a meteor hit earth is one thing, but claiming it killed off people and animals and caused extinction is another thing.

all science is is one dubious "fact", then ten thousand theories.

they don't know for sure, so they shouldn't speculate, that isn't science its science fiction.

i'm literally sick and tired of scientists and their speculation which they later claim is fact to further their prestige in the hopes of being stars in the eyes of their colleagues and field.

every scientific article i ever read starts off with "scientists think...(insert asinine theory)".

but i do respect scientists that actually accomplish something tangible, like putting a man on the moon.

the rest are nerds craving attention and fame.

edit on 17-6-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Perfect example of how to debunk Ancient Astronaut theory. They say nukes and advanced ancient alien civilization, science says rocks hit planet.

Whom do you believe?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No, really, where did you get this stuff? Im not seeing a link in the OP. Otherwise, this is already a great thread. Especially with the input from Kdog.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chickensalad
reply to post by Akragon

No, really, where did you get this stuff? Im not seeing a link in the OP. Otherwise, this is already a great thread. Especially with the input from Kdog.

Thanks for reminding me. I had posted a few threads simultaneously

Link added..

link   
Years ago when I saw these structures I thought that they might of been erected to protect against common rock showers from meteors.

link   

What is coming is worse, OP.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDINFOWARRIOR
Perfect example of how to debunk Ancient Astronaut theory. They say nukes and advanced ancient alien civilization, science says rocks hit planet.

Whom do you believe?

ah scientist say a lot of thing and they aren't always in consensus with each other. but being that the vedas depict nuclear war i do still leave that open to possibility. even the guy who invented the nuke did. stating that this was only the first time it had been done in modern times

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

I've often wondered the same thing.

could be a thread in that some place

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Years ago when I saw these structures I thought that they might of been erected to protect against common rock showers from meteors.

It is much easier to just go into a cave is it not? Or underground. DO they have nor caves or ground where this happened? Maybe they were retards.

In looking at the pics whoever did this was very strong and not very bright. "Giants in the land"??
edit on 17-6-2012 by Numbers33four because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
If a super heated rock hit a cold rock formation and you were anywhere near the air surrounding that reaction it would be nothing more than a grave. The air around you would cook you in milliseconds.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join