It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers study woolly mammoth for clues on climate change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Research ers study woolly mammoth for clues on climate change

To find out how climate change will affect many species, including humans, new research is suggesting we look into the prehistoric past. The extinct woolly mammoth may provide a model for how animals adapt - or succumb - to shifts in weather and resources.

The woolly mammoth, which once also roamed the area that is now Wisconsin, became extinct some 4,000 years ago. While the cause of the extinction has not been pinned on any one factor, the transitioning environment the mammoths faced in northern Siberia 12,000 years ago is quite similar to the global changes of the early 21st century: warmer weather, increased competition for resources, and spreading human activity.

Mammoths are an example of a species that seemed robust, having survived the very cold conditions of the last ice age. They were widely distributed, but suffered a reversal of fortune. Continental mammoths became extinct, and eventually only pockets of the giants survived on islands.

Ok, So now which is it?

Man's expansion killed them and others off or was it Climate change or both? Does this prove that the Earth goes through a frequent cyclical periods yet to be fully understood? Does modern man's present rate of pollution play a part of speeding such events up?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I believe it was a drastic climate change due to catastrophic events in which we will eventually follow up on.There is no way man killed these beasts off or drove them north to freeze with fresh vegetation in their belly's.Oh I would love to be on that research team.....thanks for turning the wheels slayer

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

I just posted this one. If some survived till about 12,000 BC. This could have been the final blow...
Meteorite storm 'smashed the Earth 12,000 years ago and killed off a prehistoric people'

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

wow slayer you make lots of threads, and good topics too!

this is really something to think about!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Also known as:

Researchers assuming that climate change had anything to do with why woolly mammoths disappeared trying to rationalize their bulls**t climate change agenda.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Well we know the Earth goes through frequent climate change, every so often there is an ice age etc etc.

I think each ice age lasts something like 16,000 years, and I would imagine as the last one receded it drove the mammoths further north/south, as they are obviously adapted for colder climates.

Man is heavily on the scene at this point, and as a hunter/gatherer species, with all these beasts that are all starting to huddle together as the ice shrinks, it makes them easy prey for early man.
edit on 16/6/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

top topics

join