It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Hate Your Country, So I Hate You

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

I’ve noticed a disturbing trend lately on our illustrious site: a plethora of threads extolling the virtues of one country over another. Some of the threads have been amusing, some ludicrous, and some downright hateful.

Why do this, ATS? Its one thing to discuss legitimate concerns about a government or governments, but something else to do so in a malicious and capricious manner.

I’m American. I know my country has a lot to answer for. Our government is corrupt and rotten through; our politicians are self-centered crooks, and our president seems incapable of recognizing the very real financial crisis we currently are in.

But that’s the thing about America. The average person is NOTHING like our government. Everyone I’ve talked to agrees that the government is a problem, but one we have very little control over. Yes, we have elections…but its basically a choice between bad and worse.

Now, I don’t want this thread to turn into an America is the Best thread (we’ve seen enough of those as well). Instead, I want us to move beyond nationalism. Let’s stop the nonsense of my country is the best and yours is the worst. What does that really accomplish? Division, anger, and ill-feeling. Who benefits from these reactions? The people in control, perhaps? After all, if we are so busy bickering amongst ourselves, then just maybe we’ll miss something really important TPTB push through.

Now many people might argue that we need to discuss the problems so that more people are aware of the issues. I agree. Lets discuss the problems, but leave the nationalism out of it. Lets discuss the topics like adults, what do you say?

I’ll end this appeal with a twist. Instead of listing all the things I detest about different countries, I’ll do the opposite. Here’s my list of my favorite things about different countries.

England: Loved my time in your country! Really enjoyed the accents (even when I couldn’t understand what was said). The lake district was beautiful and the people were wonderfully friendly. I would love to visit again.

France: Just made a short stop in a couple of smaller cities. The people were very welcoming.

Germany: The Bavarian area is simply gorgeous. And I will forever be grateful to the kind shop owner who helped a hopelessly lost American.

Greece: Beautiful area, beautiful people. The owner of the hotel I stayed in was incredibly nice. He described spear fishing in such a way that I wanted to try it myself….that didn’t happen, but I will always remember his enthusiasm.

So there’s my personal anecdotes about some of the countries I’ve been too.

Spread the love, ATS.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
But if we all agree to get along what is left to hate?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Dero

How about spiders? It works for me.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

But that’s the thing about America. The average person is NOTHING like our government. Everyone I’ve talked to agrees that the government is a problem, but one we have very little control over. Yes, we have elections…but its basically a choice between bad and worse.

For the most part, that goes for all the countries really. When people talk about America policing the world, or Israel destabilizing the middle east, most of us are talking about the government, not the actual people.

It's easy to forget that sometimes.

Nationalism, much like religion, is used as a tool to galvanize half the population against the other half, while keeping the government clear of it.

====

I've only been to the US, but I can say a few things:

I loved every trip to the US. For every person in New York that fired laser beams from their eyes because I opened the door for them, I met 2 people in New Hampshire that were kind and nice and made me feel right at home.

I like that Americans are patriotic, sometimes a little overboard, but I like it.

Most of all, I liked the fact that once they new I was Canadian, it was immediately disarming, and became a very friendly encounter, regardless of where I was.

I love the US because I consider it a sibling to my country, the US was the teenager that left home young and never calls mom (england) while Canada is the younger brother who, moved out too, but keeps in touch.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Your people vote in your governments, ergo, you and your governments are one and the same. Ergo, when your government does something, it represents you and you represent it.

So when I say that it was Americans who funded the deaths of over 3,000 in my country (which you had the nerve to speak about), It means I find both the avarage person PLUS your government responsible.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Sorry but I disagree. The Americans I interact with are not the evil government....just terrible people. Seems Americans are too caught up in their own pride to really see just how terrible they are.

I really haven't met many(any) who are aren't awful people. So it is hard not to dislike your country as a whole.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

I love the US because I consider it a sibling to my country, the US was the teenager that left home young and never calls mom (england) while Canada is the younger brother who, moved out too, but keeps in touch.

The US revolted because it did not wish to contribute towards the costs of fighting a war that was almost entirely fought for the benefit of the Americans to prevent the French taking over, not for whatever bull# sentimental reason their education system states.

They wanted a split it should have been a full and eternally running split. No contact, no assistance, no travel.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I think if you have travelled and been to other countries, you realise quite quickly that most people are good decent folk wanting to get along with their lives. You can't really blame the people for the actions of their governments. We may vote them in, but rarely do they do carry out the promises they made before you voted.

I think some of the America vs UK threads can be quite amusing and actually highlight the similarities rather than the differences.

At the end of the day, you are who you are through luck of birth. Countries are just human constructs, drawing lines in the sand to divide us up.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Outstanding thread!

Can we still hate the Belgians?

And the french?

And Carl?

*shakes fist*

Why aren't you banned, Carl!??!?!?!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

This would be because of ignorance of how our government is put into office.

The average American at election time for the President only has a choice between 2 people.
That, sir, is not a choice. We are told to vote for either A or B.

Works the same with both the Federal and State government.

On another point, Great post! Star and Flag to you. Very well thought out, and has made more sense that about 80 percent of any of the other threads on here lately!

edit on 6/14/2012 by Submarines because: Forgot to add

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

The US revolted because it did not wish to contribute towards the costs of fighting a war that was almost entirely fought for the benefit of the Americans to prevent the French taking over, not for whatever bull# sentimental reason their education system states.

I think you need to take a break from the internet, you are filled with far too much anger. I made a funny comment on the difference between Canada and the Us and you start freaking out, get over it. The average american doesn't get represented by the government, that is why they are protesting in the streets. Beyond that, it's been proven that the elections are rigged, so they aren't even voting people in.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
Sorry but I disagree. The Americans I interact with are not the evil government....just terrible people. Seems Americans are too caught up in their own pride to really see just how terrible they are.

I really haven't met many(any) who are aren't awful people. So it is hard not to dislike your country as a whole.

The way they have completely and utterly ruined our language too, listening to them -ize everything sends shivers down my spine. Our language was formed over thousands of years, ruined in just 200 by a group of people who from day one have only ever been self interested.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Another great thread. Seems you are on something of a role at the moment!

Personally speaking, i find hate to be a strong word. I try not to hate anybody, although occasionally i failed in this! Generally speaking though, how can you hate a nationality? Never understand it as everyone is both the same and yet different. I try to limit any hate i have for those that willingly harm others.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Rrrrrrrr Spiders, I hate them so much!!
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I don't know how people can come to the conclusion, with all the info out today, that government is representitve of thier people. Governments are so far disconnected from the masses, in all countries, one would imagine the people would be awake to the fact. But apparently not. It's a shame IMO.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Unfortunately the populace is contaminated through memes or cultural mind viruses.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There is no other way-everything will be erased. Nothing survives this time.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Citybig

I think you need to take a break from the internet, you are filled with far too much anger. I made a funny comment on the difference between Canada and the Us and you start freaking out, get over it. The average american doesn't get represented by the government, that is why they are protesting in the streets. Beyond that, it's been proven that the elections are rigged, so they aren't even voting people in.

I wasn't freaking out at all, in fact, I am very calm here. Do you think you should speak to someone about your paranoia? I ask because I am worried, if your assumptions were to occur in real life to someone else, they could be harmed by any pre-emptive actions you would take in your haze.

More stable minded readers would note that I was simply providing a historical backdrop to a very small snippet from your larger comment.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It's the tsunami of fascism that is currently washing over the Western population. That is what leads to racism, "my country's better than yours," etc.

It's all garbage. The only thing it's really a contest of, is to find out who has been the most chronically brainwashed by their respective country's education system or government. I find that Americans are usually the winners of the "most brainwashed," award, but unfortunately some of my own countrymen, Australians, display an alarming amount of jingoistic, flag-waving mind control at times, as well.

Get over yourselves.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I like the double standards that apparently thrive on this site. It really puts a lot of people into perspective.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Hmmm how about this for an anti Obama slogan?

Obama will bomb ya in 2012!

Here's a song for ya:

One of his lesser known songs, BTW.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with flagwaving pride and "jingoism" as some call it. If we were all like this our governments would find a very large blockade every single time they took an action that was detrimental to the country.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join