It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My opinion on UFOs as a research scientist: some are extraterrestrial

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
All I have to say about this is...

I am a Duck. Specifically, I'm a fluffy Duck who specializes in Quacking.

I'm not here to tell you about the amazing top-secret Frog technology I know about (I don't know any), about how science is kept from you by "Garden gnomes" (which is apparently a more formal version of "them") or anyone else (it isn't), or about how any pond creatures technology is years/decades/centuries/millennia beyond normal technology (it's not).

Why do I read these boards? Simply: they're hilarious. There are so many astounding misunderstandings of such basic things... I semi-regularly read several of the sub forums just to see how the newest poster has strung together some technobabbly words to make some ridiculous claim. It's fascinating. I also know of several other Duck friends of mine who occasionally do the same, and we trade ridiculous stories of things we've read.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiodanoBruno
reply to post by Vandelay Industries

What UFOers have to do is understand the difficulties of space travel and they will never again con join aliens with flying objects. If I see something flying and I can't explain what it is ,I will assume its an advance military craft, not some freaking ET taxi-craft.

Not a single UFO thread should be under an Alien forum(s).

Which is why "believers" (UFOers seems a tad derogatory) can also posit theories regarding space-travel and usage of such technologies as worm-holes, teleportation, bending space-time, vibrational-type travel, travel from other dimensions, etc.

I respect your opine. Respect mine and others as well.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

congradulations on taking your first step to the truth.. you are awakening to the truth sheep!

haha no.. seriously; Ets exist, might as well mentally and emotionally prepare for their contact one day.. you dont wanna die from shock?
I love these "scientists" (which is english for closed mind) who think their opinions on life matter more then anyone elses.. because they are "logical" haha ..

Peace

~ Love is an art

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

You say that the genuine aliens are here for scientific research. When is the last time we used scientific research without a specific goal in mind? I'm sure the aliens aren't here to examine rocks.

Through the wonders of technology we may one day head for the stars. Why would we do this, you might ask? Because we're going to desperately need something: air, water, a new planet... Whatever that need is, I'm sure the occupants of that planet won't be too happy about it.

So, I'm thinking we shouldn't be too happy about aliens coming here.
edit on 6/11/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Great!!! Now that you got it all figure out, they won't be gettin me tonight!!! Yay!!! I Love You!!! Your my Jesus! My saviour!!!
Wow! All those years of abductions! Poof!!! Again... Thank you!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
So basically what we have here is a fellow who has a PhD in cell biology who has read a few books on UFOs for the last four years and is now presenting himself as an expert because he has "scientific training." This is basically "argumentum ad verecundiam" which is an "argument from authority." he provides no evidence at all, but suggests we read Richard Dolan, which I have a small problem with.

I would suggest that there are people here, both well educated and not, who have immersed themselves in the field of UFOs for half a century. If you can pass the Official UFO Quiz, then maybe we can talk. But so far you haven't really proved your case. The fact that you have studied UFOs for four years does not, I'm sorry to say, make you into some sort of expert. Only four years? Indeed, you are new to the field.

I would take issue with your very title, that UFOs are extraterrestrial. That's a gross assumption, frankly. We have this small "speed of light" problem to overcome. We can do that with speculation, of course, but science tends to disagree with the idea that someone has found a way around it. Now maybe it HAS been solved, but I guarantee you do not have any scientific proof that it has, therefore for you to assume that is stepping out of your scientific training. Of course, as a doctorate-level cell biologist we should not expect you to know much about quantum mechanics or advanced physics--and that's kind of part of the point. You are working out of your field of expertise.

Now, what makes you think the small percentage of UFOs that you consider "real" are extra-terrestrial? How do you see that as possible within the current scientific paradigm? Might there not be other interpretations? What might those be?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You see the problem here is That most People with Phd's think that anybody with out a Phd have no opinion to offer at all. So anything that non Phd's have to offer gets automatically thrown out and with extreme predjudice!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Can't help but think of this while reading the thread:

edit on 11-6-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Hey...seeing is believing --- after I witnessed one or two alien starship's in front of my eyes; which is enough of your so-called "scientific" proof that other-worlder's have broken the speed of light barrier, into the super luminal realm!!!

Foofighter's

Erno86

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by flashtrum

What UFOers have to do is understand the difficulties of space travel and they will never again con join aliens with flying objects. If I see something flying and I can't explain what it is ,I will assume its an advance military craft, not some freaking ET taxi-craft.

Not a single UFO thread should be under an Alien forum(s).

Which is why "believers" (UFOers seems a tad derogatory) can also posit theories regarding space-travel and usage of such technologies as worm-holes, teleportation, bending space-time, vibrational-type travel, travel from other dimensions, etc.

I respect your opine. Respect mine and others as well.

I do respect yours. What I have trouble accepting is UFOers blindly assuming that alien-life exists /*mastered warp speed for short travels/*mastered harnessing wormholes for long travels/*managed to prolong aging(life-support). Those 3* vital step are GOD-like impossible to achieve. And that's not all of it. Living organisms act and react differently once afar from home. Meaning living things immediately die once in space. The environment in these supposed alien crafts must be an element of the aliens actual home. Which in itself is another nightmare obstacle to achieve.

All of that has to be done and done well to maybe reach the nearest hospitable planet...

Come on dude...seriously

Understanding the difficulties of space travel is the key. And not speculating ,automatically, that there is advanced aliens who can easliy overcome all these impossible obstacles. Once you do that you will never look at UFO's the same.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86

Hey...seeing is believing --- after I witnessed one or two alien starship's in front of my eyes; which is enough of your so-called "scientific" proof that other-worlder's have broken the speed of light barrier, into the super luminal realm!!!

Foofighter's

Erno86

Sorry to brake it to you, but you witnessing something isnt proof.. you can exhale fire all you want ,doesnt change a thing.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

How do you know what you saw was an "alien starship" that traveled in excess of the speed of light? I'm sure you saw something, but I'm not convinced your interpretation is valid. Why not start a thread so we can discuss what you saw? I'd be interested in a full discussion, but I wouldn't want to derail this guy's thread.
edit on 6/11/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LastProphet527

Source?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Scientifically speaking we cannot make any assumptions regarding this very subject. It is similar to dealing with infinity. Mathematics has introduced the term, but our brains cannot comprehend it. It is a mere placeholder.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
As I am also sometimes sceptical the owner of this post may not be a PhD scientist who has researched UFOs for four years, but a ten year old child who enjoys teasing people on conspiracy sites.

On the other hand it could be an alien who is critical of human research into UFOs.

Such is the nature of internet identity fraud.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well, I do agree with the OP in one regard. I think that the # of UFO sightings has always been small, and also, fairly constant over the years. The advent of easily obtained video capture equipment is the only reason every speck in the sky is now filmed and posted on youtube.

I disagree about the capture of equipment though. Roswell was a very real event imo. Although, I have a feeling it will be many, many decades (if that), for them to make use of what they found. It would be like asking a Roman engineer of 2000 + years ago to reverse engineer and replicate a BMW. Just not going to happen. I doubt even now, we'd have the scientific know-how to create whatever it is they created. There really is a limit to even what our scientific knowledge and technology can create.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Foofighter's

Erno86

Sorry to brake it to you, but you witnessing something isnt proof.. you can exhale fire all you want ,doesnt change a thing.

Sorry to break it to you, but the proof is in the pudding. And he ate the pudding, not you. You'll have to get your own
edit on 11-6-2012 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Foofighter's

Erno86

You can wait till the cows come home, and you probably still won't get your idea of "proof." If proof in the pudding is your idea of "proof," then the UFO mystery will remain a mystery; because the other-worlder's will not likely give us any better evidence that they have visited our Earth --- other than what they have already done.

So...keep denying --- that seems what you are good at.
edit on 11-6-2012 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Yepper!!! that's what I was thinkin'!!!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf
My view on aliens is ultimately it is more logical that they would exist than they wouldn't. There are trillions+ stars out there, many which would have planets similar to ours that could support a carbon based life (not saying that other forms of life couldn't exist).

Also I think it is highly likely that there are civilizations out there far more advanced than ours, simply cos they would have evolved a high level of intelligence sooner than we have.

I do believe though that any civilization capable of crossing millions of light years in order to travel to Earth would not imho need anything we have to offer. I cannot imagine any civilization that would completely master the physics and engineering technology necessary to get here but somehow completely leave the study of genetics and biology by the wayside making it necessary to probe the rectums of poor unsuspecting humans.

I would also hazard a guess that any alien visitors would essentially be benign and probably live in a society that would seem almost utopian to us. Why? Because otherwise they would have destroyed themselves with their own technology (kinda like what we humans are doing to ourselves now) long before they ever had the capability to cross immense distances of spacetime to reach us.

Some Mayan in the early 1500's might think the same thing about intercontinental alien visitors. How did that turn out for them? Their descendants are speaking Spanish now and toiling in the fields and cleaning other people's toilets, and they worship the god of the Reyes Catolicos.

It's possible to have a militarized religious fascist and imperialist society which simply limits the degree of self-violence below the level of civilizational extinction. Such a society might be the very kind interested in aggressive space exploration and colonization.

If ET comes here before we go there, it's more probable ET is more like that.

Notice the first encounters the Mayans had with intercontinentals were not with Buddhist monks.

The last 150-200 years of existence on Earth have been fairly unusual in that the most powerful societies in that time (British and then USA) have been (at least rough) democracies. How was it before then? Pretty bad, generally, probably back to the Roman Republic. When the Chinese Communist Party takes this place, it could be pretty lousy.

edit on 11-6-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join