It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Spot A Liar by Pamela Meyer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I saw this, and I immediately thought that this might be a good watch for ATS members who are interested in such topics. ATS is filled with threads about a myriad of topics that all involve elements of lying, deception, cover-ups and conspiracies. I thought I would offer some material that might help you as an individual discern the liars from the truth-tellers more accurately, no matter what your stance is on politics and social issues.
This isn't really new information, but the presentation is fresh, and makes the subject more interesting.
Have fun with the insights offered, and let me know what you think.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I wish I could use these on a lot of the threads posted on ATS!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by moonzoo7

Cool! I'm a gonna go watch it today... Thanks! TED is awesome...
Appreciate the post! - AB

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Great video and very instructive.
Really, what skill could be more critical than to be able to spot a lie when you see it?
Shame good videos like this don't get more attention.
s&f thanks!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Thanks for all of the replys. I wish the thread would take off a little more. There's a tendancy around here for the more polarizing and sensational threads to get more activity, and I guess that's just how it goes when dealing with the masses. I am happy about the the quality of the replies, so in this instance I will be happy to trade quality for quantity....

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
no it isn't...

lol sandf

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Just watch any politician or lawyer speak for an hour. You will be a master at detecting lies.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I watched Lie to Me, know what to look for already

Jokes aside, OP I will take a look, some people are extremely good liars.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hey OP,

I watched the vid - very informative, though I feel like I just got the "Introduction to Lie Detecting 101" and could go a lot deeper on this subject. Have you found any other resources for "lie detection" and body language? I've seen some of this before (and yes, I watched Lie To Me, too ;-) in articles, etc.

PS - yeah, the divisive subjects get people all emotionally stirred up and some folks seem to like to push buttons, thus they get a million flags and a vast galaxy of stars... perhaps a new in-your-face title "Are YOU Being Lied To?!?" LOL!!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
well that was rather dull!

A bit of common sense and ability to get out of your own head and actually watch someone else, dressed up as contemporary scientific advancements - yeah ok :rolleyes:

Any sensitive person can spot deceit, the trick is being willing to trust your instincts - that's not so easy, hence the rather clumsy reliance on 'tells'

If she'd pulled a few people out of the audience and done live demonstrations, getting it right 90% as she claims experts can, that would have been interesting!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The real resource on this is Joe Navarro. He redesigned the FBI's profiling unit back in the 80's.

Something very important to realize, which he emphasizes, is that even with all of the so-called tells and signs of lies, that even he is not correct more than 50-60% of the time. The signals given by a liar must be combined with (1) having a strong enough sense of "normal" behavior for the subject in order to realize when they're exhibiting behavior that is indicative of discomfort - the indicator that the subject has broken a pattern in behavior, and (2) the combination of expertise, study, practice and humility afforded by experience, and (3) observational skills that go well-beyond average, which can be inborn, as with a gift, or practiced over and over and (4) seeing two or three behaviors that may indicate a lie, do not, in and of themselves, indicate that a lie is being told.

I wish it was as simple as watching Lie To Me. They make it look fun. Learning the different muscles of the face, and the part of the brain controlling that muscle, is not fun. It's tedious, frustrating, and somewhat discouraging when taking high accuracy rates into account. Some do have a natural ability that facilitates this process, so studying simply verifies what they already sense.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Isn't this from the Prometheus website? It is a promotional advertisement for the movie? Anyway she is pretty good but she left out a lot of other "tells".

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Not a bad video but there are a lot of people who lie without showing any signs. If they believe the lie wholly than it is hard to tell. When you decide you really do not want to lie and play societies game you are outcasted as a little naive by those who lie regularly. A little cross examination and many people screw up, if you aren't smart enough to lie without getting caught, don't lie. If you aren't smart enough to steal without getting caught don't steal.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I really enjoyed the video, her voice is soothing and delightful to listen to, no grating on the chalkboard with her energy.

I would like to see more of her video presentations.

To spot liars from a professional stand point must be really hard, there are mistakes made all the time such as with Judges and juries.

The example they gave of the two grieving Mothers was a no brainer, I mean the murderess was completely obvious in her deceit and the true grieving Mom was equally giving out true emotion, but liars are usually not that easy to differentiate.

The more people see videos like this, the more real liars will change their strategy. Also, there are people who have been so wrapped up in their lies that they have the ability to believe their own lies to the point of passing all the tell tale signs as well as polygraphs which can give false data in both directions.

join