It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morgan Freeman "I think we invented God."

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZIPMATT
Hi Noreaster heres an argumnet based strictly on logic .
Logically speaking you want to get to the truth in life , because your current state is one without certainty or any exterior guidance to reassure your point of view .

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you don't know me at all. You honestly have no idea why I have asked this very specific question.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Which then , is the logical approach to finding the truth ??
That of the atheist , who declares (like a buffoon) "But its impossible!" Answer 2 ?

You'd have to search far and wide to find an atheist that says "its impossible!" to the claims made by theists that a god exists.

However finding theists that would cry "its impossible!" when asked whether or not it is possible their god doesn't exist, wouldn't be very hard at all.....

Also most atheists would take the time to learn exactly what logic is before attempting to use it in a discussion....

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erectus
Magic, religion, and witchcraft is/are big topics in anthropology. There is no need to look beyond the human brain to find magic or God.

God is different from god. The former is out of anthropology's league while the latter is more so within its traditional boundaries.

Originally posted by NorEaster
The logical break here occurs when the very first invisible and inherently imperceptible person is invented. This is the mysterious logical break that I'm interested in understanding. From there, sure, you can invent whatever you want for this invisible, inherently imperceptible person, but you still have to invent what can't be seen, heard, felt, smelled, or experienced in any way, and as a visceral certainty that has total authority over all that does exist as visible, audible, palpable, and readily experienced by your own brain, and your brain has to allow it.

The same reason why people who major in mathematics usually go in with the naive view of mathematics consisting of counting objects and then graduate as committed Platonic Realists.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

The question was - If the Homo Sapiens brain is the whole of what it means to be human on planet earth, then how did the notion of God ever emerge?

edit on 10-6-2012 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

The question was - If the Homo Sapiens brain is the whole of what it means to be human on planet earth, then how did the notion of God ever emerge?

Its not a legitimate question which you have asked . It doesnt even make sense . If I were you , take the Genesis approach , God spoke with Adam and Eve , in the garden of Eden .
Is it so hard ?
The burning bush , and Moses on the Mount , so hard to beleive ?
Gabriel , dictating to Mohammed .
There's a whole history of encounters with the forces of light .
Do you dare debunk them ?
That would be to infer delusion upon your ancestors . Yet they had sciences the same as we have now . Some of them were international rulers of men . God laughs at atheists , remember that . Everybody beg for mercy

Okay, I'll put you down as having no idea whatsoever.

Thanks for playing.
edit on 6/10/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

they just treat each other with respect and kindness.

got any links i might read?

god gave humans the ability to tell right from wrong. whether a particular human follows those suggestions is up to them. i'm postulating that the mere concept of one thing being more desirable than another could only exist with a creator.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

we have now said ,god is not a notion but a reality , not an invention of the human mind but an external factor.

we dont want you getting deluded about other people having delusions .

why worry about it anyway ?
edit on 10-6-2012 by ZIPMATT because: set and match

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
God is simply the intelligent (but ignorant - in a true and correct meaning) answer to the question: why?

Why do giraffes have long necks? Why does it thunder? Why did that volcano kill everyone? Why did grand-dad die? Why are we ruled over by foreigners?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I guess Morgan Freeman never heard the story of Yeshua, who was nailed to a cross for saying he was YHVH and who went to that deathwillingly and refused to recant when given the chance. I think i will believe Yeshua over Mr. Freeman. Mr. Freeman never allowed himself to be nailed to a cross to save anyone.

The difference is Mr Freeman actually exists, whereas your imaginary friend doesn't and never has existed.

Plus Mr Freeman won't ever ask/demand you to mutilate your children's (or your own) genitalia, commit genocide, infanticide or willingly allow himself to be nailed by a group of Roman soldiers.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

You have no proof he does not exist. Not one shred of evidence anywhere will you ever find proof and that's the glory of YHWH, his name means "I AM that I AM" or simply put "I EXIST". Not something you can debunk because you cannot prove he does not exist.

Morgan Freeman doesn't exist, he was dead the minute he was born, same as you and those like you.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Its very interesting that people experess their notion of god like its a proven fact that heshe exists
when it hasn't been proved at all
and any god that can't even prove he exists could hardly be a god now could heshe it them?

To ridicule others for not sharing the same delusion is a pretty good excuse for DARWINATION
which it appears is well on its way

if it wasn't for all the delusional people who think god will take resposibility for their delusions we might have averted disater by being responsible adults
..but not now
its to late

show me one animal in all creation that reveres the christian god like it was its creator
other then delusional people
there was platypusses on the ARK!......not

edit on 10-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Perhaps it was the structures which made up the society at said time which influenced "man to create God?"

Every society is made up of different structures and myths, and eventually, as time progresses, these structures change, thus altering the myths to expand into "reality." It's not to difficult to imagine. You could look at this in a reverse cycle if you will. From the renaissance up until now, our societal structures have changed. Modern society has "killed God" so to speak. Many people are now atheists whereas 500 years ago, you wouldn't find any. Over time, the people have started to question God and embrace science. It is evident of the structures/myths changing.

Societies change, and with them, structures. History will tell you everything you need to know.

I am looking at this matter through a structuralist perspective if no one noticed.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

that's hilarious...especially when some say that a belief in God is what provoked people to structure and maintain society.

which came first: Chicken or Egg?

its obviously the egg.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by jimmyx

god gave humans the ability to tell right from wrong. whether a particular human follows those suggestions is up to them. i'm postulating that the mere concept of one thing being more desirable than another could only exist with a creator.

Probably started with Og figuring out that he couldn’t kill big hairy animal without help. Not too big of a leap to also figure out not too good of idea to steal hunting buddy’s wife or food or Og would be on the pointy end of the stick.

Survival more desirable than death.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by kaylaluv

We all have to agree that there was an original man - regardless of creation or evolution. Could there not have been an original thought? Since then, we know that man has been replicating himself, so maybe thoughts have just been replicating. It doesn't mean there couldn't have been an original thought, right?

Humans are the smartest of the "self-aware" creatures on this planet. Surely it is feasible to say that the first humans wondered how they got here. Watching themselves give birth, and watching other animals give birth - it's not a stretch to think that early man believed that someone "gave birth" to the entire planet and it's inhabitants. From there, you could just extrapolate on down the line. Parents control their childrens' environment, therefore a creator controls the planet's environment, i.e., weather, crops, natural disasters, etc., etc.

The idea of gods living on Mt Olympus wasn't a stretch. People lived on mountains, and a giant person is just a person who is bigger, stronger, and more powerful than a regular person. Even a magical person is still a physical person who can do things that are magical. The logical break here occurs when the very first invisible and inherently imperceptible person is invented. This is the mysterious logical break that I'm interested in understanding. From there, sure, you can invent whatever you want for this invisible, inherently imperceptible person, but you still have to invent what can't be seen, heard, felt, smelled, or experienced in any way, and as a visceral certainty that has total authority over all that does exist as visible, audible, palpable, and readily experienced by your own brain, and your brain has to allow it.

Cognitive dissonance is extremely aggressive, and research has proven this to be true. If the brain won't buy it as logically familiar, it won't even process it...period. So what "pulled" that notion from nowhere and into the brain of the very first human being (barring the ET influence meme, since that ET would've had to burp up this notion from nothing if this was the case..which doesn't make the question go away) Like I said, this is not a simple question.

OK, how about this? Someone else mentioned that the original God was the sun. This is something you can see and feel. It is obviously very powerful, and controls things like plants, weather, etc. It provides needed warmth and light. It's easy to see how early man would have looked at the sun with awe. The hard part is explaining how early man would have re-fashioned that sun into an invisible person who is omnipotent.

Humans are similar to herding or pack animals. They naturally like to have a leader - an alpha male. They see packs of animals have leaders, and they even have a human leader for their own pack, but is there a more powerful leader for everything? That bright light in the sky must be a leader, because it seems very powerful. It shines its powerful light over everything, so it must be leader of everything. Because humans have experience with themselves as physical beings, they make the link that the sun is a physical being. Yes, it would have to be an original thought, because the sun doesn't look like a physical being. But it IS a physical thing that one can see and feel. Early Man would think the sun was either an animal, a plant (or a rock), or a person, since that is all they have experience with.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

You have no proof he does not exist. Not one shred of evidence anywhere will you ever find proof and that's the glory of YHWH, his name means "I AM that I AM" or simply put "I EXIST". Not something you can debunk because you cannot prove he does not exist.

Nope, nor do I have any evidence that leprechauns don't exist, but then I don't have any reason to assume that they or your imaginary friend do exist......

Why would you think that your imaginary friend's name would have any consequence....?

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000Morgan Freeman doesn't exist, he was dead the minute he was born, same as you and those like you.

Yes thats nice

Still going to mutilate your unborn childs genitals?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

that's hilarious...especially when some say that a belief in God is what provoked people to structure and maintain society.

which came first: Chicken or Egg?

its obviously the egg.

Every culture has myths and structures. Also, a form of structure has always been as society can not operate without a structure. Even the earliest humans had a society made up of structures and did they believe in God as we know it? No they didn't. It is obvious that God is a fabrication of the human mind. The only people who fully look to God are those who are weak willed and need something to fall back on. People feel secure when they put their faith in something "higher."

Even if God existed he wouldn't be how we all "know" him. It doesn't help that the Bible everyone chooses to read and believe blindly has been edited plenty of times since its creation.
edit on 10-6-2012 by daaskapital because: eta

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The world would be a much more civil and pleasant place if everybody just imagined Morgan Freeman to be the voice in their head

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by uva3021
The world would be a much more civil and pleasant place if everybody just imagined Morgan Freeman to be the voice in their head

Him or Sir David Attenborough

......or Bill Murray

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by jimmyx

But how can you prove that God gave humans the ability to tell right from wrong? How can you prove that the concept of one thing being more desirable than another could only exist with a creator?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

i often see professional fighters and other athletes pray to God or otherwise seeking to be reconciled unto God.

it funny that you consider some of the demonstrably strongest people on the planet to be weak willed.

it's funny that you think you know with scholastic certainty what Ancient Egyptians or Sumerians believed in.

i'd take a believer over someone who believes in nothing at all any day; weak willed or not.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join