It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASSIVE Booming Noise Rocks Northern Michigan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21
Could one of these caused your boom??

thelatestworldwidemeteorreports.blogspot.ca...

It is possible, but no one has reported seeing anything in the sky. Do they leave smoke trails? I ask because it's a beautiful, clear day and when we went outside to look at the sky we saw nothing.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Earthquake man, it had to be an earthquake. I had an earthquake at my house too, about 11:30 pm last night i was sitting on my back porch and everything started shaking and it got my dogs to barking. Second time in my life i felt that juddering feeling.

Something is going on with all these damn quakes.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
You just gave me a great idea. As soon as my son comes back with my car (he went fishing and forgot to take his cell) I'm going to go up to the Public Safety building and see if their security cameras also record sound.
edit on 6/6/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

That is a great idea!!! But they might not admit to recording sound if they do. Especially external or "public area" cameras depending on your state's rules on recording audio without permission.

I hope you do find a recording! I'm working with a friend to try and figure out a good way of recording one of the booms we have been hearing. Trouble is, they are random. That's a lot to store & filter.

OiO

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Yes, lot of meteor fireball activity lately over there:

See here

05JUN2012 Rebecca Land Norman, Oklahoma, United States About 22:30 CT about 10 sec SE to NW Hear a Booming noise then saw a green light cross to sky slightly dimmer than the moon but it was cloudy out no fragmentation that I could see NA

Lots of other testimonies, from Ohio, Ontario (Canada):

05JUN2012 Tara Valis Dublin, Oh 43016 9:15 EST 10 sec right to left green bright as moon no pretty cool

05JUN2012 Stephanie powell, ohio 21:21:00 approximately 2-3 seconds facing north, direction went east to west bright light just came from nowhere and "flew through the sky" venus...it was bright not that i saw I've seen "shooting stars", but this happened when there was still a little light in the sky, that's why I was so surprised.

05JUN2012 Mike Burrows Stow, OH. USA 21:10:00 5 seconds from southeast heading northwest white fireball with cone shaped tail same as a star It disintegrated into the horizon It was very bright

05JUN2012 utopaline Thorold Ontario Canada 21:20 EST 5 seconds max North to South stil la bit of daylight out, almost looked blue and yellow not as bright as the sun not that I could see I've seen meteor showers before, but I've never seen something movng that slow and seemed like it was lower than normal. almost like it was actually heading to the ground

05JUN2012 bob cameron harpersfield,oh 2130 1 to 1.5 sec trav w left to right fac s orange with green tail sun like none seen by myself and by brother our location aprox 3 mi south rt 307 & rt 534 object was headed in direction of cleveland,oh i never seen nothing like it before?

edit on 6-6-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by OldCorp

Earthquake man, it had to be an earthquake. I had an earthquake at my house too, about 11:30 pm last night i was sitting on my back porch and everything started shaking and it got my dogs to barking. Second time in my life i felt that juddering feeling.

I've never been in an earthquake, so I have nothing to compare the feeling too. I have however had plenty of experience with explosives, and this sounded exactly like high explosives such as det cord, RDX, or C4 - a LOT of it. It was just a momentary BOOM! It sounded as if a 155 shell went off just down the block.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

reply to post by OldCorp

I've never been in an earthquake, so I have nothing to compare the feeling too. I have however had plenty of experience with explosives, and this sounded exactly like high explosives such as det cord, RDX, or C4 - a LOT of it. It was just a momentary BOOM! It sounded as if a 155 shell went off just down the block.

Everything will shake including you, the ground, the trees etc. and you may have visual confirmation in seeing S waves playing across the ground like the ripples in a pond after throwing a huge rock in it. Not something you will ever forget seeing.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I would be inclined to say that the US military is testing a new type of aircraft and you heard the sonic boom...no, yes, maybe...???

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Why is there a sudden increase in stronger quakes in the continental US (not California side)...seems weird..

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Maybe they had another fracking mishap near you? I know that they had at least one other up your way some time ago. I would be looking into nearby fracking sites, just in case.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Hey all! I tend to agree that it was an earthquake, like the ones in Clintonville and Menominee. Old Corp you may already know this but your area of the woods has some fault lines which look like they run through an area where the geology transitions from shale to limestone. Found this 36 pg doc with really detailed maps on the geology of Michigan which was written in 2010 as a white paper concerning fracking in Michigan. You may already be familiar with the info.

To the right of the arrow would be Thunder Bay.

It's also an area where a limestone karst aquifer is next to a "confining unit", ie:harder, not so permeable area (granite? shale?), the same type of geology that Clintonville has. (Source is same doc)

These are from USGS
First one is Clintonville area aquifer (pink=Cambrian-Ordivician Aquifer/brown=confining unit)

This one is from NE lower MI, blue=Silurian-Devonian Aquifer/brown=confining unit)

Notice how the delineation neatly and nearly bisects Thunder Bay?

Could be that something slipped or gave way (popped?). Question then becomes what's the driving force? Uplift? Glacial rebound? Beyond my area of expertise!

Also, found this interesting tidbit about Alpena in the first source doc on pg 9

Submerged Sinkholes within the Great Lakes Importantly, in June of 2001 researchers were surprised to discover groundwater from Silurian-Devonian formations upwelling and discharging or “venting” into the waters of Lake Huron just north of Alpena, Michigan.11 In fact dozens of sinkholes were mapped in the limestone bedrock ten miles from Michigan’s northeastern shore and at a depth of approximately 300 feet in Lake Huron.12 (12 Ruberg, Steven, “Exploration of Submerged Sinkhole Ecosystems in Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, Lake Huron,” National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Great Lakes Environmental)

For some reason this is reminding me of the "Seneca Booms" heard off of the NC coast near Wilmington? Maybe it's just loud booms in the proximity of land to a large body of water.

And also this from Canada's EQ info which indicates an EQ just offshore Thunder Bay sometime btwn 1965 and 2001, but must of been btwn 1965 and 1973, 'cause when I checked USGS there was nada - their database records only go back to 1973.

Also it disturbs me that all the helicorders I tried to check for that area happen to be offline since early May. Here's one of the links I use for the one at Greyling, MI; it's about half way down the page.

The one here in my neck of the woods at Birdtown SC was off line for a long while. I often wondered if it had anything to do with the licenses/permiting for Haile Gold Mine to ramp up production. It's back up now so I have a lot of fun watching it

Let us know if you hear anymore booms.

Oh...btw...dumb question but you never know....any weird/abnormal animal behavior in the area? Some ppl say animals can sense such things.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
My wife and I are down here surrounded by state land and we have been hearing some booms lately. Not as loud or as big as what you described though. To me they sound just like 40mm HE grenades going off in the distance. It's always in the evening when we hear them although we have not heard them for 4 or 5 days now. It has given me flashbacks as it sounds like combat in the distance. I tried to record it with my phone but it didn't come out at all. Next time I hear them I am going looking though. I'm also getting topo maps of the state lands and I am going exploring this summer.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Why is there a sudden increase in stronger quakes in the continental US (not California side)...seems weird..

Dunno. Some people think it's caused by fracking to get natural gas. The quakes here slowed down a bit after fracking was shutdown but they still happen on occasion. As for the others i have no idea. Some people are getting quakes that have never had an earthquake before. There was a medium sized one in oklahoma a few months ago. There seems to be a pattern to them. Lately i've noticed they start in the east and travel westward, which could have somethign to do with the earth's rotation, much like the high and low tides. Could be the super moon having an effect, a couple days ago some eastcoast cities suffered unusually high tides that came farther inland and tore apart some flood walls.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

g

Curious on the general area you are located - I have heard booms - not house rattling mind you - but still odd as there is nothing in the direction of the noise but State Land and forest for a few miles - Port Huron State Game Area. They are not gun shots nor fireworks - just strange.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
You might find this pdf interesting, I put it on sendspace as I couldn't find where I got it originally but anyway it's a Science magazine article from 1979 about brontides, what mysterious booming sounds were called originally (also mistpouffers, Barisal guns, Seneca guns etc). I don't think much more is known about this phenomena since then.
It's worth noting that sound can propagate anomalously in the atmosphere so the source may have actually been many miles away from where it was heard.

www.sendspace.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorthStreet1
reply to post by usmc0311

g

Curious on the general area you are located - I have heard booms - not house rattling mind you - but still odd as there is nothing in the direction of the noise but State Land and forest for a few miles - Port Huron State Game Area. They are not gun shots nor fireworks - just strange.

very strange indeed. I am just west of Ann Arbor, near the Waterloo recreational area. The most times we have heard them has been in the evening just after sundown.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SCGrits

Grits, that was awesome, thank you! I really appreciate all of that information, and if you don't mind I'd like to credit you (by username of course) in the report I'm going to do about this today. I fish behind the NOAA facility all of the time and I know exactly where to go. That is, actually, where I caught this bad boy last Fall.

In fact, I'm going to be out conducting interviews all day, and hopefully I can have a nice little report for everyone in the next day or two.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
hmmm..earthquake....big boom.....i may be mistaken but, i dont recall people talking about hearing loud booms during 'major' earthquakes. it seems like after one of these 'big booms' a 'minor earthquake' will be found after the fact. and the area that heard the boom is large...how could a 'minor earthquake' produce such a noise but no damage? i would assume that the noise would be louder near an epicenter.

i wonder how an airborne explosion would travel or disapate over distance? and if something did enter the atmosphere and explode, was there any sightings of 'unusual' atmospheric phenomenon? could an 'explosive' noise be created by some type of ultra low frequncy burst or....do i dare say it..transmision? just asking questions out loud...weird time we live in

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Dunno. Some people think it's caused by fracking to get natural gas. The quakes here slowed down a bit after fracking was shutdown but they still happen on occasion. As for the others i have no idea. Some people are getting quakes that have never had an earthquake before. There was a medium sized one in oklahoma a few months ago. There seems to be a pattern to them. Lately i've noticed they start in the east and travel westward, which could have somethign to do with the earth's rotation, much like the high and low tides. Could be the super moon having an effect, a couple days ago some eastcoast cities suffered unusually high tides that came farther inland and tore apart some flood walls.

I've been looking into Fracking since USGS scientist Jim Berkland (predicted the Loma Prieta "World Series" EQ in '89) came on my show and talked about how it may very well be the cause of the Clintonville EQs. For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is that episode.

Just south of me is Wurtsmith Air Force Base. It has been largely decommissioned, but it is still in use; and the ground water and one lake is contaminated. Some are saying that the contamination is due to "fire-fighting foam" being used for training. Sorry, but I'm not buying that. It would take a LOT of foam to contaminate a lake so badly that the DNR shuts down access to it.

Fracking is a danger to be sure. They are fracturing the bedrock for crying out loud, and injecting dangerous chemicals into the Earth to do help do it; chemicals the companies refuse to identify. Excuse me if I don't accept their assurances that the ground water won't be affected, and there is no danger to public health.

USMC0311, I'm going to be driving through your way on Sunday on my way to Chicago. If you're up for a visit, send me a U2U.

I'll be out most of the day chasing down leads. Thanks to everyone who responded, I'll let you know what I find..

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SCGrits

I just remembered the last line in your post. In the video above, Berkland says one of the factors he considers when he makes EQ predictions is missing pets. You might find what he has to say interesting.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Ok, I can tell a bass from a brim from a catfish, but I'm not so up on Yankee fish, so what is that bad boy? Trout or salmon? When we were stationed at KI Sawyer AFB in the UP back in the day my pops would go fishing and come home with salmon, muskee?, and smelt. Boy we ate good!

Being a journalist I know you know this, but just for my edification, if you use any of the info from the source docs in your presentation, please give credit to the originator of said doc okay? All I did was do a little snooping and connected a few dots, they did the really hard work!

They are fracturing the bedrock for crying out loud, and injecting dangerous chemicals into the Earth to do help do it; chemicals the companies refuse to identify. Excuse me if I don't accept their assurances that the ground water won't be affected, and there is no danger to public health.

Interesting. While I was perusing said 36 pg doc I came across this on page 15 that really set off my red flags

More than thirty (30) municipalities in Florida dispose of waste water from publicly-owned waste water treatment plants through deep well injection.34 Importantly, U.S. EPA reports that treated domestic waste waters injected into bedrock formations at several locations in Florida (including Miami-Dade area and the City of St. Petersburg) have migrated upward into underground sources of drinking water.35 The federal National Archives and Records Administration reports that as early as 2001, the upward migration of deep injected municipal effluent was known at forty-two (42) of eighty-one (81) operational municipal deep injection well sites, most of which exist along south Florida’s coastline.36

Injecting untreated sewer water into the aquifer?? Seriously?? Really??? That really hit close to home for me 'cause lo and behold the two times that I've visited inlaws in grand ol' Miami I've come back with serious gut problems, so much so the last time I spent 18 hrs in the ER on News Years Day with acute gastro distress insisting I didn't overindulge New Year's Eve---we were with my parents who are uber religious---- just for them to tell me "no it's not appendicitis...we don't know what it is, some kind of parasite maybe? Here's a boatload of antibiotics, that'll take care of it" .....Modern medicine, gotta luv it right? Gives new meaning to "don't drink the water"

Anywhoo...looking forward to what you dig up.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join