It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASSIVE Booming Noise Rocks Northern Michigan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
MODS: I put this in Fragile Earth because that is where the "Booming Noises" seem to end up. Please move if appropriate.

Things seem to be afoot here in Northeast Michigan. Last week, cell and internet traffic was interrupted for a few hours. That could possibly be explained I suppose by the influx of downstaters and out-of-staters flooding into the area to enjoy one of the most beautiful places on Earth; but this morning, something very strange - and inexplicable - happened.

At around 10 a.m., my house shook from the sound of an explosion. At first, we assumed that it came from the LaFarge Cement Plant (the largest cement plant in the US btw) where they use earth moving machines in their quarry. Facebook exploded with people talking about it. I've redacted all of the names except for my partner in crime Tim Thomas, who works at the local radio station.

OK, nobody on FB had a clue as to what caused the "explosion," so I called the control room at LaFarge to see if they were doing any dynamiting. The answer was no.

I called the Alpena County Sheriff's department and asked the same question. I was told that the sound rocked the Public Safety building, but that deputies have been unable to locate the source.

I called the Alpena Regional Combat Training Center, which regularly conducts training exercises in N.E. Michigan to see what they had to say. "We have no planes in the air today sir," was the reply.

This sound, whatever it was, was heard - and felt - from Rogers City to Ossineke and possibly beyond. It is over 50 miles from Rogers City to Ossineke; whatever caused this noise was MASSIVE, and as yet unexplained. For those unfamiliar with the area, here are a couple of maps. The "X" marks are where people I personally know, and who posted on FB reporting that they heard the explosion, live.

Thoughts?
edit on 6/6/2012 by OldCorp because: I'm my own Grammar Nazi.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Islamic terrorists who drill down in Michigan's state parks and forests. They're detonating IEDs, and that's why the police don't know what's causing the booms. Makes way more sense than fracking or an alien invasion.

edit on 6-6-2012 by ProleRising because: Added youtube video demonstration of IED shockwave.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProleRising
Islamic terrorists who drill down in Michigan's state parks and forests. They're detonating IEDs, and that's why the police don't know what's causing the booms. Makes way more sense than fracking or an alien invasion.

I certainly hope that they are as adept at using explosives as this guy.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Could this be the reason they call the river Thunder Bay

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

LOL! Now that's what I call Karma.

Thanks for the chuckles!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cayote
reply to post by OldCorp

Could this be the reason they call the river Thunder Bay

Only when it's raining.

It's BEAUTIFUL clear, sunny day. 73 degrees.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The USGS shows NO activity for an EQ of any magnitude for the past 7 days.

It just keeps getting mysteriouser, and mysteriouser.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Do you know they heard the same thing when that long crack appeared in the upper peninsula of Michigan? I would search the grounds all around that area. It was later determined to be an earthquake.
edit on 6-6-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProleRising
reply to post by OldCorp

LOL! Now that's what I call Karma.

Thanks for the chuckles!

Go to some of the suggested videos. You'll be entertained for hours. I know I was.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Tim Thomas from the bruins lol

how come those boom sounds seems to happen only in the US ?
edit on 6/6/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Wonder if it has any relation to this report.

60 Foot trees snapped

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Wonder if it has any relation to this report.

60 Foot trees snapped

If I've learned anything, it is that anything is possible. Thanks for hooking me up with that.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Tim Thomas from the bruins lol

how come those boom sounds seems to happen only in the US ?
edit on 6/6/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

Dude, he's a Red Wings fan through and through. If he heard you say that he'd HUNT YOU DOWN!

Why are they heard only in the US? IDK that they are; but if that is true, then I have no answer for you.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Do you know they heard the same thing when that long crack appeared in the upper peninsula of Michigan? I would search the grounds all around that area. It was later determined to be an earthquake.

Ahhh, the Menominee Crack. The only thing is, the USGS says there has been zero activity here for the last week.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

REMINDER!!!

Come on guys
....please stay on topic,
and avoid derailing posts

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by elouina

Ahhh, the Menominee Crack. The only thing is, the USGS says there has been zero activity here for the last week.

True, but the Menominee earthquake wasn't found out until they investigated the crack. Since a crack formed, they had to find out why. No crack, and you may never find out.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Add another 20 miles to the radius. Reports from Lincoln (southwest of Ossineke) indicate that the sound was also heard there.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Same thing happened with the Clintonville Wisconsin booms. There are youtube videos and news articles were officials are claiming no earthquakes according to the USGS. Then the story received international media and all of a sudden the USGS stated it was a "micro-swarm" and a little 1 something earthquake.

In your OP you mentioned internet outages. Is there a reason for those? We have heard some booms around our area (East TN) and I've noticed that when some of the booms happen we lose internet (AT&T, phone connection is not effected).

OiO

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne

Same thing happened with the Clintonville Wisconsin booms. There are youtube videos and news articles were officials are claiming no earthquakes according to the USGS. Then the story received international media and all of a sudden the USGS stated it was a "micro-swarm" and a little 1 something earthquake.

In your OP you mentioned internet outages. Is there a reason for those? We have heard some booms around our area (East TN) and I've noticed that when some of the booms happen we lose internet (AT&T, phone connection is not effected).

OiO

You just gave me a great idea. As soon as my son comes back with my car (he went fishing and forgot to take his cell) I'm going to go up to the Public Safety building and see if their security cameras also record sound.
edit on 6/6/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Could one of these caused your boom??

thelatestworldwidemeteorreports.blogspot.ca...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join