It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your News source: Spins, Slants or STRAIGHT OUT LIES!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

That's right!

Your News source is some or all of the following: They Spin, Slant politically, is Biased and has an agenda, Omits critical/self incriminating Regional/National information or STRAIGHT OUT LIES...

Pretty strong stuff eh?

I've seen many good News stories reported over the years here at ATS by ALL, Yes I said ALL News organizations and conversely I've seen them do some and or all of the above mentioned. None In my opinion is more credible than the others.

They all are guilty. What prodded me to write this thread was reading a rash of stories posted in many threads followed by claims and counter claims of whose News source is telling the truth and is more credible. Well, I'm here to tell you your favorite News source is Guilty.

Do they always lie?

No, they don't always lie. But here is the deal, some of them only report the dirty laundry of others and hardly ever touch their own countries crap if they are State ran. Here are a couple of examples. RT [Russia Today] or PressTV [The official mouthpiece of Iranian Government]. They don't always lie. But I'll press anybody reading this to find a critical report from them on their own Governments...

I posted something similar to that statement in a thread. Another member reading along rushed to their defense quickly and dutifully I might add posted the following as if it would negate the above mentioned facts about RT and PressTV

All the posting of the video did was prove my point and that's that all News programs are guilty. The poster probably thought I'd defend CNN. Why should I have? I know they spin, Lie and sometimes omit critical details etc etc etc.

The point of this thread isn't to single out any one News outlet but to discuss the very fact that no News source is completely 100% credible. Some feel that RT and or PressTV are more credible than the Wests News sources.

Why?

Because they spin it in the manner that they the viewers like. When RT or PressTV starts reporting Russian/Iranian dirty laundry just as vigorously as they do on everybody else I'll start taking them a bit more serious as being unbiased, As it stands now, anybody who cares to look at their reporting objectively will see they spin the News in their favor just like every other supposed "News" outlet. As a matter of fact, RT should just change their name from "Russia Today" To "Today in America and Everywhere else but Russia"

They are popular among certain circles because it gives that certain slant/spin they the viewers agree with. So. IMO they do have their place and that's simply to round out the BS. Make no mistake though it is BS.

It's just a matter of which flavor BS one prefers.

Moving on to Western/US News sources BS.

I've already posted the now infamous CNN video. What About FOX?
man, Do I really need to point out the obvious here? Come on. All American News sources are just as guilty as any others. But the one thing they do do that RT and PressTV wont and that's critically report on their own countries Dirty laundry.

Why would Western News outlet do that?

Because they have Agendas and want to give their Left, Right or any other leaning political stance the upper hand on any given hot topic. You don't believe me? Watch them objectively. It's so blatant sometimes I just roll me eyes and turn off the device that's spewing the Bull.

Now why write this thread at all if everyone here knows the score? Well, I gotta tell you ATS. I've seen members who I've seen write and post some very clear intelligent level headed threads and comments come unglued with what appears to be plummeted IQ's as they defend their News source over another.

At that point I face palm.

So....

We have Iranian News media slamming Israel and or the US, We have US and or Israeli news sources slamming Iran, We have Russian News sources reporting only Western dirt and none of heir own, We have Western Media which is slanted every which way BUT straight. We have Chinese media which is totally nationalistic YADDA YADDA BLAH BLAH BLAH....

And then there are those here at ATS who still honestly believe that THEIR News source is more credible than the other guys. Palm to face AGAIN...

People, this is ATS.

We pride ourselves on cutting through the Bull with critical objective thinking. Let's face facts here, they all stink to high heaven for one reason or another. We could have some fun with this thread by posting your favorite News media BS report/article that is of course if no one takes seeing their favorite News source getting slammed too seriously.
Remember, It's us the readers/viewers against them and you wont offend me, I know they all suck.

I'll fire first

PressTV.

Back in 2010 PressTV ran this News
story blaming US troops for atrocities.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ffeb27ca4979.jpg[/atsimg]
PressTV

Iraqis witnessing the arrival of US infantrymen on their rooftop have lost their lives after their house came under a bloody attack by the American troops.

Now, on the surface it really tugs at the heart strings by showing the young victim when in reality it was Propaganda pure and simple. Why did PressTV use a known 5 year old picture with this story? Can you say [AGENDA]? Here is a another picture of the series.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86d2c26e5d61.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is a link to the original 2005 source PressTV recycled the picture from. Bloodied Faces Of Iraqi Children And some people wonder why PressTV has a credibility issue.

If I've left out your
favorite News outlet
don't feel bad
chances are they suck too

edit on 6-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Just the other week there was a lot of talk on the internet with people saying they'd heard "Euro leaders say they want greece OUT of the Euro" while at the very same time I was watching BBC news where they were saying, "European leaders are saying the Eurozone simply cannot cope without Greece, we need them IN".

It's becoming more confusing by the day just what we can believe and what is utter scandal.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm very glad you did this thread Slayer. I'm sure I'm guilty of believing one news source to be more credible, or less on occasion, but in reality they all have their little agendas. They may not be obvious, but just because one news source will point out American issues that American press does not, does not actually make them more credible. I think the best we can do is put all the BS in one big pile, and try to sift through it for the truth. It's really what they're not saying that gives away the bias. Great thread, as usual.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

And...

Probably at that time the Euro-zone could have actually cared less.
I think two sides had an agenda

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Why? Because they spin it in the manner that they the viewers like. When RT or PressTV starts reporting Russian/Iranian dirty laundry just as vigorously as they do on everybody else I'll start taking them a bit more serious as being unbiased, As it stands now, anybody who cares to look at their reporting objectively will see they spin the News in their favor just like every other supposed "News" outlet. As a matter of fact, RT should just change their name from "Russia Today" To "Today in America and Everywhere else but Russia"

No state-run media outlet is going to report the facts about the government that funds them. Ever listen to NPR? It's all bias and fluff. As for FOX, CNN, ABC etc... They also have their agenda. They just take stories from the AP and Reuters and spin it. The era of the reporter is over. All media is now is a positive feedback loop and people pick their outlet based on what they want to hear.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
"The War in Vietnam is un-winnable"

Walter Cronkite

Great reporter.

Dead now

True story

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

What do you mean by simply "And..."

And... my point was that two seperate news companies were spouting stories which conflicted with each other at the exact same time. One was true, one was obviously not... or are we supposed to just guess the news now?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Well luckily they can lie to us all they want, here at ATS we can all discuss the truth to our hearts content. We have insight and awareness, a collected world group of aware minds. All we have to worry about is our families and friends that do not have the same ability of insight.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Swamper

Well luckily they can lie to us all they want, here at ATS we can all discuss the truth to our hearts content.

That's all well and good except that I think people either fail to realize or forget that the majority of content posted here is from the dreaded MSM. That's where most of the info is coming from. Sure we slant it differently, but I am growing weary of people acting as if ATS is some perfectly unbiased and balanced place (not intended at you).

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

No, What I meant is at that point it was probably unimportant. Obviously two sides tried to spin that info for whatever reason in their favor.

The truth?

The truth is whatever the media wants you to believe.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Its called propaganda and many here have no problem citing them as news sources and"facts".Agreed that all are guilty with some worse than others.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Well let's take the Syria situation for example

I've seen stories posted about civilians being killed. The News source used is obviously slanted and makes claims of one side or the other being guilty. Before you know it, somebody posts an article to the contrary then the thread deteriorates into a wrestling match over credibility.

Meanwhile and tragically, rarely does somebody chime in about the travesty of the loss of human life.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The entire cable network of chock full of lies and deceit.
Whether it be News networks or entertainment programs...etc.
It is all on their to fool its viewers into an agenda.
Its simple to see.

And it's working marvelously!

Which is why I rid myself of cable a while back.

Even the local news channel is bias and has an agenda.
The other day I was watching, at my parents house, their stories and they clearly lied.
It was a segment on the election, claiming Romney as winning the nomination.
He hasn't even been nominated yet!
The subject is irrelevant the point is clear.

They ALL lie.

I can't stand it anymore.

People need to think for themselves instead of rely on others to feed them lies.
Good grief, it's an addiction for most....wouldn't even think of shutting off the cable.

Great thread Slayer.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Meanwhile and tragically, rarely does somebody chime in about the travesty of the loss of human life.

I've avoided the Syria thing but I see what you mean.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Oh the News slanting, sorry, I mean reporting, during Politically charged years stinks the highest IMO

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
star and flag Slayer
on a positive note:
If there is a balloon puncturer to be found for a given piece it will be here at ATS
Which is why I feel ATS is important in the grand scheme of things

edit on 6-6-2012 by Danbones because: grammer

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

PressTV is NOT a reliable News source. Neither is RT. Spot on thread!

Can anyone say,OUTRIGHT STATE CONTROLLED ?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I firmly believe the following statement...

"Everyone, as soon as they learn about a subject, becomes biased. "

We are fed information as needed to further an agenda, nothing more. Ever notice how if you try to talk to someone, say a coworker, about a subject, you immediately get a biased response if they know what you are talking about?

It is hard for the human mind to stay objective. We are emotional beings, shaped by our experiences and our acquiantences and we base our choices off of those conditions.

When I watch or read the news, I try to visit multiple sites with differing points... Reuters, CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Slate, Huffington Post, etc. You may not be able to discern the real truth by doing so, but I think when you put it all together and start critically thinking you can form a better picture of what is truly taking place.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

At this point.

Knowing this threads premise is true. If somebody chooses to put 100% faith in that their News source is more credible than the other guy's then that's their Kool-Aid

Bottoms up.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine

When I watch or read the news, I try to visit multiple sites with differing points... Reuters, CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Slate, Huffington Post, etc. You may not be able to discern the real truth by doing so, but I think when you put it all together and start critically thinking you can form a better picture of what is truly taking place.

Agree.

The problem with state sponsored News sources,is your spoon fed "their" version of ANY story,regardless if its right or wrong. In Iran,the Opposition hasnt been on TV,since 2009. Thats telling..........

Opposition political figures such as Mir-Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi have not appeared on Press TV since the June 2009 presidential election.

Press TV controversies

or

In September 2009, it was revealed in an article in The Times that Hassan Abdulrahman, born David Theodore Belfield, one of the chief editors of the Press TV website from the beginning of Press TV's news department, is a fugitive wanted in the United States. Abdulrahman, who has also used the alias Dawud Salahuddin, is wanted by the FBI for shooting dead at point-blank range Ali Akbar Tabatabai, a former press attache at the pre-revolutionary Iranian embassy in Washington.

I couldnt see ANYONE,in the free world,getting away with this.............

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join