It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I make my own liposomal vit C. This stuff is frickin AMAZING!!!!!

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LerroyJenkins
I thought I would post my status. Now im not sure if i missed a step or maybe im younger than most on this forum, but I didn't get any real noticeable changes. The first day I took just the one teaspoon and got like a fuzzy head feeling. I was focused but no energy jolt. 2nd day tried two teaspoons and was about the same. My only guess is that i missed a step in there somewhere. I will try to make another batch to see if my results change. I did however try just the AA one tablespoon stirred in juice and I felt amazing for the entire day..Any advice as to what i may have done wrong.

I did
3 tablespoon lechin(non gmo), blend for about 3 mins in 1 cup hot water
1 tablespoon of Now AA, dissolved completely in 1 cup room temp water
Blended both together then ran in the ultra cleaner for a good 30 mins.

I noticed i had a good bit of orange color in my mix and a good bit of that settled near the bottom. Just sitting there i get a milky look. Am I to stir this before I drink some? Any advice would be awesome.. Thanks ats

Your recipe is exactly what many others are using. I doubt it is the problem.
Personally, I tried 3 different Lecithins and 2 different US Cleaners and at least 5 different recipes as I thought I must be doing something wrong.

Don't be afraid, keep upping your dose till you feel something
If the something is good, keep going
If the something is not good back down or stop
It's VERY unlikely you will do ANY harm to yourself.
compared to the usual garbage we are all unconsciously ingesting, breathing, imbibing and also consciously eating and drinking, this stuff is grade A!!

I got to 9oz per day, which is about 25x your largest dose, and nothing significant happened.
I decided to back down to 4.5oz (that's one shot glass 3x per day, or 9 teaspoons 3x per day) as a prophylactic for 30 days and then evaluate.
I am now on about week 2.
It is having an effect but the experience is so subtle/minor I would be risking 'making it up' if I tried to say definitively what the effects are.

It's disappointing I know, when others are climbing the walls and we are wondering what all the fuss is about

However, for some of us, this may well be about other things - like developing the self confidence to 'make our own medicine', or the stimulation to make other healthy and well-being choices in life.
I have seen many posts from peeps who have begun new personal routines, spurred by this thread (well done Dominicus), which have compounded the positive gains from the lipoC.
edit on 27-6-2012 by RogerT3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

I thought I would post my status. Now im not sure if i missed a step or maybe im younger than most on this forum, but I didn't get any real noticeable changes. The first day I took just the one teaspoon and got like a fuzzy head feeling. I was focused but no energy jolt. 2nd day tried two teaspoons and was about the same. My only guess is that i missed a step in there somewhere. I will try to make another batch to see if my results change. I did however try just the AA one tablespoon stirred in juice and I felt amazing for the entire day..Any advice as to what i may have done wrong.

I did

I noticed i had a good bit of orange color in my mix and a good bit of that settled near the bottom. Just sitting there i get a milky look. Am I to stir this before I drink some? Any advice would be awesome.. Thanks ats

First off, as many have said before, if you are already in good shape you probably won't notice that much of a difference.

Second, I take 2 tablespoons, i started off with 1 tablespoon, then went to 2. I don't know how much of an effect 1 teaspoon would have as it seems kind of minimal.. And it seems you have the mixture right, so try soaking it and blending it longer then blend the AA for a couple of minutes as well, all my mixtures I make now don't have any residue on the the bottom and there is no separation, if that doesn't mix properly try adding a bit more water in the AA mixture, so go from half a 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup

I also hit it in the sonic cleaner for about 30-40 minutes.

Good luck

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT3

Thanks 2serious, RogerT3, AlanQaida, for the responce. To answer your question 2serious if it was granules.

Roger I will keep upping the does and see what comes of it. A teaspoon didn't seem like that much.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I did

LerroyJenkins, I hope you don’t mind if I point out some errors that you made in making your Lipo C:

Lerroy: “3 tablespoon lecithin (non gmo), blend for about 3 mins in 1 cup hot water…
I noticed i had a good bit of orange color in my mix and a good bit of that settled near the bottom.”

Clearly, your lecithin had NOT been dissolved thoroughly. There should not be any undissolved lecithin settling on the bottom. No separation in the final product.

You should soak the lecithin granules in 1 cup of COOL water at least 30 minutes before blending. Better yet, use the raw Sunflower lecithin “syrup” that is pre-dissolved.

The reason one of the recipes called for hot water for the Lecithin, was to help with the dissolution process. But if you pre-soak the granules, the use of hot water is unnecessary. Also I believe the heat actually harms the nutrients in the Lecithin. Heat most definitely destroys Vitamin C. Did you wait until the Lecithin solution had cooled down to room temp. before mixing in the C?

Lerroy: “Blended both together then ran in the ultrasonic cleaner for a good 30 mins.”

You also need to stir the mix in the USC to ensure a more complete encapsulation. But if the Lecithin has not been properly dissolved and the C has been destroyed by heat, it’s a waste of time to put this into the USC.

Which is why: “I did however try just the AA one tablespoon stirred in juice and I felt amazing for the entire day.”
Properly made Lipo C is much more powerful than regular Ascorbic Acid.

Lipo C is much like injecting C directly into the blood.

Lerroy: “The first day I took just the one teaspoon and got like a fuzzy head feeling. I was focused but no energy jolt. 2nd day tried two teaspoons and was about the same.”

You’re not taking enough Lipo C.
You should be taking at least 1 Table-spoon of Lipo C twice a day.
The OP is taking 1 and a half TBsp, twice daily.
I’m taking 2 TBsp at least two to three times daily. Others do more.

Also the effects of Lipo C are accumulative. I had to take it for five days before I noticed that I needed significantly less sleep. And it also depends on your overall health when you start the experiment.
I am so impressed with Lipo C I have no intentions of ever stopping it.

I’m about to post the “Aussie Recipe” here.

I recommend you start over with a fresh batch. Good luck.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

The “Aussie” Formula (Lipo C with Sodium Ascorbate):

Start the dissolution of the individual ingredients at least 30 minutes before combining all the ingredients.

If you do not have a blender, we recommend you use a large 1 quart screw lid glass jar so you can shake vigorously. (If the lid is metal, make sure the interior of the lid is thoroughly coated to be non-reactive – this is important.)

1. To one (1) cup of cool distilled water add 3 level Tablespoons of granular non-genetically modified [non-GMO] soy lecithin. Soak for at least 30 minutes, until all the granules have softened into a slimy mass. Hot water is NOT necessary for this step if you have pre-soaked the granules or are using a lecithin syrup.
Or use about 2- 3 TBsp of the preferred raw Sunflower lecithin syrup.

2. Dissolve 1 level Tablespoon of Pharmaceutical grade Vitamin C powder in 2 oz. of COOL distilled water. (Heat destroys Vitamin C.) Stir or agitate until all crystals disappear into the water. Start this at least 30 minutes before the blending with the other ingredients.

3. Dissolve 1 Heaping Tablespoon of Bob’s Red Mill Baking Soda in 2 oz. of distilled water at least 30 minutes before combining with the other ingredients. Stir or agitate the mixture until the soda is dissolved.

4. All of the baking soda will NOT dissolve. Despite this, begin the next step:
I found this the most difficult part. The baking soda would not dissolve completely. Apparently, the Aussie had the same problem and went ahead and used the baking soda sediment anyway.

I did NOT use the undissolved baking soda for encapsulation.

So I carefully spooned out only the dissolved, clear solution that rose to the top, leaving the undissolved baking soda (that settled on the bottom) behind when I dribbled it into the C solution.

Slowly dribble the clear, dissolved baking soda solution into the Vitamin C solution. There will be much bubbling & popping. Stir vigorously to get most of the bubbles out. Keep doing this until all of the clear, dissolved baking soda solution is mixed in with the Vitamin C solution.

5. Mix or blend the combined baking soda/Vitamin C solution with the dissolved Lecithin solution thoroughly. It will look like frothy eggnog.

6. Pour the combined solution into the ultrasonic cleaner (USC).

Sit down in front of the USC, make yourself comfortable.

Set a kitchen timer for 30 minutes. This is where the magic encapsulation happens:

Turn the USC on, open the lid, and with a clean plastic straw gently, slowly, stir the solution. The USC only stays on for less than 3 minutes, so you have to be there to turn it back on.

The ultrasound element is on the bottom of the USC. The reason for the frequent stirring is to ensure that as much of the solution is directly exposed to the US element.

Virtually all of the froth will have disappeared during the USC process.

I have found this to be my most successful recipe yet. I’ve been on it for the last two days, and no sour stomach.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

Thanks very much !!! This is the best and the most useful step by step instructions for making the amazing Lipo-C with Sodium Ascorbate. Great contributions to this board.

I would also like to know if anybody tried the home-made Lipo-Glutathion supplement? If yes, what is the benefit after using it? Thanks for more information.

edit on 27-6-2012 by Kerberos007 because: typo

edit on 27-6-2012 by Kerberos007 because: typo

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hi guys just checking in.

I have been taking the Lip C for a week now, after stopping because of headaches. I can gladly say I have not had any headaches this week, though I have lowered the dosage to 1/2 a shot glass (0.75 oz) twice a day - where as before I was doing double.

As for the effects, well, subtle if any. It may boost my energy levels slightly, though not enough for me to say it's 100% the Lip C doing it. That's not to say it's not doing me any good, I am yet to take any vitamin supplement that has any noticeable effects, yet you trust they are doing you some good and if this is in fact giving me a small energy boost then it's doing better than any oral supplement I've taken so far.

From tomorrow onwards I will up my dose back to 1.25 oz 2x a day and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
So I just made my first batch an hour ago. I dissolved lecithin in hot water this morning and blended it and seemed to achieve complete dissolution, no mess at the bottom, then refrigerated it all day, then combined it with a cup of sodium ascorbate (made by blending ascorbic acid and baking soda in cold water, I don't understand the need for the more involved method outlined in the pdazzler method), blended it for about a minute and put it in the cleaner for 24 minutes.

My results looked like the pictures, but I have two concerns.

#1) There was very little foaming at any point after blending the lecithin and C in the blender. I get the idea from many posters that there's a lot of foam and they're putting it in the cleaner for a long time to get rid of the foam...but I didn't really have much foam in the first place. Does that mean I did something wrong?

#2) My cleaner has a heater. Or more like a warmer, seemingly. The mixture was slightly above room temperature, probably a bit below body heat, which SHOULD be fine because if 98 degrees was enough to destroy vitamin C, well, how could it ever do anything in the body?

I took it about 20 minutes ago and about 5 minutes ago I started to feel vaguely but pleasantly energized but that could be my imagination...will have to try it for a few days before reporting anything definite...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well, it has been a week since I made my first batch and started taking a shot of Liposomal a day. On the first day it took almost until the afternoon to actually feel the energy some of you guys have reported.

I didn't want that excitement lead me the wrong way so I kept on taking shots daily to ensure those results were consistent, until 3 days ago when I ran out and was not able to make more due to my work and how busy my scheduled has been.

Needless to say, the last 2 days I have had no energy to do anything at all, I feel like the old me before taking my shots, and lazy!!!

So, for me this stuff works and on Friday when I have a day off I will able to make more and start drinking it to get that energy back.

Perhaps there were more good "effects" other than the boost of energy I felt but I quickly disregarded paying attention at any other symptoms to see any changes in my body (health wise). Since energy is what I was going after, I am quite happy about the results and I'm sticking with it!

Hope that synopsis of my results helps anyone else!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

I "ran out" after my first batch too, and was without it for about 36 hours. I was NOT happy. Felt really bad, actually. Now back on the 2T. twice a day and starting to feel much better. I almost feel "addicted" . . . If so, is this good? Is it just because my body needs something in this so badly? I'm so relieved to be back on it, and plan on making it in advance to running out. Anyone else stop taking this for awhile and have a bad response? Do you feel you don't want to go without it?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2serious

I "ran out" after my first batch too, and was without it for about 36 hours. I was NOT happy. Felt really bad, actually. Now back on the 2T. twice a day and starting to feel much better. I almost feel "addicted" . . . If so, is this good? Is it just because my body needs something in this so badly? I'm so relieved to be back on it, and plan on making it in advance to running out. Anyone else stop taking this for awhile and have a bad response? Do you feel you don't want to go without it?

I agree, it does feel addictive but if this addiction is going to get me energetic as a side effect then by all means bring it!

I am going back as soon as I make my next batch of it (I will actually make like 3 of them just in case I 'ran out').

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I got the book written by Linus Pauling - I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it's called "How to Live Longer and Feel Better" - and in it, Pauling specifically mentions that you MUST NOT miss a day. He says something about the risk of disease going up dramatically if you skip doses once you are on a regular regimen of mega-dose Vit C. Maybe that has something to do with why one might feel so much worse when not taking it?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

I got the book written by Linus Pauling - I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it's called "How to Live Longer and Feel Better" - and in it, Pauling specifically mentions that you MUST NOT miss a day. He says something about the risk of disease going up dramatically if you skip doses once you are on a regular regimen of mega-dose Vit C. Maybe that has something to do with why one might feel so much worse when not taking it?

Ewww, that doesn't sound good. Can you dig out some more info on that, perhaps with a bit of Pauling's explanation.

This sounds like when you use synthetic stuff to replace body stuff (Thyroxin and Insulin good examples). The body slowly backs off from it's own production, so when you miss out on the drugs, the body isn't up to speed and crashes. A bit like if you brought in a bunch of external workers onto the factory floor and sent everyone home for a few months. It will take a while to get the old team back together if the new workers simply don't show up one day.

Having said that, the premise here is that VitC is NOT made by the body, so Pauling may have been observing some other phenomenon. Did he say the risk of illness compared to before the regime goes up, or the risk compared to taking the large doses goes up?

ETA: I've been looking for a copy of Pauling's book in pdf or online version, not found it yet but did find a lot of quotes and extracts. This is interesting:

Linus Pauling Recommendations
1. Take 6,000 to 18,000 mg of vitamin C as ascorbic
acid daily (some of the vitamin may be taken as sodium
ascorbate) up to bowel tolerance (6 to 18 g).
Pauling’s therapeutic dosage of vitamin C for those
diagnosed with cardiovascular disease is from 6,000 mg up to
18,000 mg (or bowel tolerance). Generally, 3,000 to 6,000 mg
of vitamin C is the recommended preventive dosage.
The half-life of vitamin C in the bloodstream is 30 minutes.
Linus Pauling advised taking vitamin C throughout the day in
divided doses. The Hickey/Roberts Dynamic Flow theory
predicts that taking vitamin C every four hours will produce
the highest sustained blood concentrations. Take more before
bedtime.
Those who have bloating, gas, or diarrhea after taking
vitamin C should reduce the dosage of ordinary vitamin C and
consider adding a liposomal form of vitamin C such as the
Lypo-Spheric™ vitamin C product available from livonlabs.com

practicingmedicinewithoutalicense.com...
edit on 28-6-2012 by RogerT3 because: (no reason given)

half life of VitC in the blood is 30 mins and there is recommendation here to take doses every 4 hours for max. exposure.
worth a try maybe for those not yet satisfied with their results?!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT3

Originally posted by elliotmtl
Assuming an approximately equal lipid content per weight for liquid sunflower lecithin versus soy lecithin granules (and an analysis of the nutritional information seems to indicate that they do indeed), you would want to use about 22.5 grams of sunflower lecithin to replace 3 tablespoons of the regular soy lecithin. This works out to slightly less than 1.5 tablespoons.

Cool, you've done what I was too lazy to do up to now.
Can you take it a step further and translate all the measures into weights so we can have a weight of ingredients per liter of water or something similar?

I made up a new batch, here is my extrapolation to a metric recipe:

1 liter of room temp reverse osmosis water (4.22 imperical cups or 4 metric cups)
50g of SunFlower Lecithin Liquid (ok, it's more like molasses than liquid
)
30g of pure Ascorbic Acid powder (= 30g VitC!)

I put the lecithin in half the water and blended for 60s (it's a creamy mix in about 10s, but hey, let's overkill
)
I put the AA in the other half of water and stirred until dissolved
Combined the two together and blend for 30s to make sure thoroughly mixed
Actually, I used slightly less than one liter in total when mixing and then added a few ml to make it up to exactly one liter. I did it this way so I would know that each 100ml serving of the final juice should contain 3g of vitC and 5g of SFL.
Finally, clean USC for one cycle, then dump in mixture and run for approx 30mins stirring frequently, number of cycles depending on the foam level.

I found the more Lecithin is in the mix, the more foam you get and even perhaps some settling out in the fridge. the last SFL batch had a lot more lecithin, and needed shaking before pouring. This one seems more emulsified, but it takes time to see separation. I'll post back if I get any different result.

My wife and I are taking about 2ml per kg of body weight each day, spacing it out over 3 doses: first thing, b4 lunch, b4 dinner. So that's about 100ml for her and 150ml for me (rounding up for her and down for me
)

ETA: this one had no lecithin clumping and tastes more sour,, obviously due to less lecithin in the mix.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Hi everyone !

This is a great thread and I'm making myself ready to start my own batches.
I'm a bit worried about buying the wrong ultrasonic cleaner, so can anyone in Europe or better France could tell me what model that gave them satisfaction they bought ?

I will report on the effects !

All the best

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by elliotmtl
So I just made my first batch an hour ago. I dissolved lecithin in hot water this morning and blended it and seemed to achieve complete dissolution, no mess at the bottom, then refrigerated it all day, then combined it with a cup of sodium ascorbate (made by blending ascorbic acid and baking soda in cold water, I don't understand the need for the more involved method outlined in the pdazzler method), blended it for about a minute and put it in the cleaner for 24 minutes.

My results looked like the pictures, but I have two concerns.

#1) There was very little foaming at any point after blending the lecithin and C in the blender. I get the idea from many posters that there's a lot of foam and they're putting it in the cleaner for a long time to get rid of the foam...but I didn't really have much foam in the first place. Does that mean I did something wrong?

#2) My cleaner has a heater. Or more like a warmer, seemingly. The mixture was slightly above room temperature, probably a bit below body heat, which SHOULD be fine because if 98 degrees was enough to destroy vitamin C, well, how could it ever do anything in the body?

I took it about 20 minutes ago and about 5 minutes ago I started to feel vaguely but pleasantly energized but that could be my imagination...will have to try it for a few days before reporting anything definite...

Elliotmtl: "#1) There was very little foaming at any point after blending the lecithin and C in the blender. I get the idea from many posters that there's a lot of foam and they're putting it in the cleaner for a long time to get rid of the foam...but I didn't really have much foam in the first place. Does that mean I did something wrong?"

AV: I'm not sure why you're not getting a lot of foam, but I would not worry about that. I've been using 3 level TBsp of granular Lecithin. Maybe you're using less? The most important thing is how you feel.

Elliotmtl: "#2) My cleaner has a heater. Or more like a warmer, seemingly. The mixture was slightly above room temperature, probably a bit below body heat, which SHOULD be fine because if 98 degrees was enough to destroy vitamin C, well, how could it ever do anything in the body?"

AV: There is a warmer in the USC, but the liquid in mine doesn't get more than lukewarm. It's true that Vitamin C does begin breaking down at 100 degrees, but I KNOW that the Vitamin C survives this encapsulation process to be effective -- because it's changing my skin, body, and energy levels. So don't worry about the USC warmer.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Ewww, that doesn't sound good. Can you dig out some more info on that, perhaps with a bit of Pauling's explanation.

This sounds like when you use synthetic stuff to replace body stuff (Thyroxin and Insulin good examples). The body slowly backs off from it's own production, so when you miss out on the drugs, the body isn't up to speed and crashes. A bit like if you brought in a bunch of external workers onto the factory floor and sent everyone home for a few months. It will take a while to get the old team back together if the new workers simply don't show up one day.

Having said that, the premise here is that VitC is NOT made by the body, so Pauling may have been observing some other phenomenon. Did he say the risk of illness compared to before the regime goes up, or the risk compared to taking the large doses goes up?

ETA: I've been looking for a copy of Pauling's book in pdf or online version, not found it yet but did find a lot of quotes and extracts. This is interesting:

Linus Pauling Recommendations
1. Take 6,000 to 18,000 mg of vitamin C as ascorbic
acid daily (some of the vitamin may be taken as sodium
ascorbate) up to bowel tolerance (6 to 18 g).
Pauling’s therapeutic dosage of vitamin C for those
diagnosed with cardiovascular disease is from 6,000 mg up to
18,000 mg (or bowel tolerance). Generally, 3,000 to 6,000 mg
of vitamin C is the recommended preventive dosage.
The half-life of vitamin C in the bloodstream is 30 minutes.
Linus Pauling advised taking vitamin C throughout the day in
divided doses. The Hickey/Roberts Dynamic Flow theory
predicts that taking vitamin C every four hours will produce
the highest sustained blood concentrations. Take more before
bedtime.
Those who have bloating, gas, or diarrhea after taking
vitamin C should reduce the dosage of ordinary vitamin C and
consider adding a liposomal form of vitamin C such as the
Lypo-Spheric™ vitamin C product available from livonlabs.com

practicingmedicinewithoutalicense.com...

half life of VitC in the blood is 30 mins and there is recommendation here to take doses every 4 hours for max. exposure.
worth a try maybe for those not yet satisfied with their results?!

Which is why some recommend a "Time-released" Vitamin C.

The one I have is Solaray, "Two-stage, Timed-release Vit C, 1000 mg.

"The formula is designed to release half of the Vitamin C in this product rapidly, and the other half gradually over a period of up to 12 hours."

You take one in the morning and another one 12 hours later, for 24 hour coverage.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I would like to start off by thanking the OP for the info. I followed this thread from the beginning. I bought my suppliesd as per the instructions, except i bought sunflower lechin. I have been taking 3tbsp`s twice a day sometimes three. I have not noticed a huge busrt of energy maybr a little.I have noticed a slight difference in eye sight. the big noticrs for me have been 1, my skin is smooth to the touch and wrinkles are reduced. 2, I workout and had some ligament pain in my left arm which is all but gone.
I did some searching online after reading the thread and before buying supplies and there is alot of scientific study`s that confirm the benefits of high dose vit C.
I am going to up my dosage and see what effects that has, and report back later.I have gotten used to the taste its actually ok. I was thinking of trying it topically to some more stubborn wrinkles on one side of my face. lol

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamis
Hi everyone !

This is a great thread and I'm making myself ready to start my own batches.
I'm a bit worried about buying the wrong ultrasonic cleaner, so can anyone in Europe or better France could tell me what model that gave them satisfaction they bought ?

I will report on the effects !

All the best

I hated my first one from a cheap seller on ebay and love the second professional one I got from Belgium. I've posted links and photos in the thread. You can see all my posts using the drop down link under my avatar to make it easier to find it.
sorry, I don't have the details to hand

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Ok, I have found some quotes in the book.

It is important not to stop the vitamin supplements, even for a single day. We know there is a rebound effect on stopping the intake of Vitamin C, such as to increase temporarily the risk of disease.

Later in the book, he tries to explain this rebound effect, or discontinuation effect - but it is pretty lengthy and has to to with enzyme formation (way over my head!). He takes several paragraphs to discuss enzyme formation, so I will only quote the last section.

When a person has been receiving a large amount of vitamin C for a few days or longer, the amount of these enzymes is so large that if he or she reverts to a small amount most of the ascorbic acid in the blood becomes abnormally low. The person's resistance to disease may be decreased. This is the discontinuation effect (also called the rebound effect).

The discontinuation effect lasts for a week or two. By that time the amount of the enzymes has decreased to the normal value for a low intake, and the concentration of ascorbic acid in the blood has risen to its normal value. It is accordingly wise for people who have been taking a large amount of vitamin C and who decide to revert to a small intake to decrease the intake, gradually, over a week or two, rather than suddenly.

HOWEVER, I noticed there are some annotations in the twentieth anniversary edition of the book. These annotations were put in obviously after Pauling's death, so they are not his notes - but they were submitted by the Linus Pauling Institute. The annotation for both the sections included says:

When revising the Dietary Reference Intakes for antioxidants in 2000, the Food and Nutrition Board considered the available evidence in the scientific and medical literature. The Board found that the evidence for systemic conditioning, or the rebound effect, was inconsistent.

So, it sounds like this may or may not be an issue, but it would be interesting if others felt the same effect of feeling generally bad when stopping, or greatly reducing the mega-doses.

new topics

top topics

<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join